Home General Discussion
Options

mini rant

kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
I was just looking at another forum (a very active forum) and i have noticed a few things. All the good info on that forum is watered down and sometimes (often) flat out wrong.

For example:
a thread that i just read through was talking about cedar wrapped cigars. the question was would it affect the flavor if the cedar was taken off the cigar before it was aged. To me the answer is simple. Yes. Everything has an impact on flavor even if you dont know it. however, their thread had something like 6 or 7 posts before the actual question was addressed. they ended up discussing the cedar causing MOLD.
cedar does not cause mold. moisture does. I have never once had mold in my humidor. why? i dont let my RH get out of hand. If any of those people over there had any clue they would know that if you hold your sticks at 65% and not 70% there is a darn good chance you will NEVER see mold (cedar on the cigar or not)

the point isnt the mold or the topic of the thread. the point is they were unfocused and down right mean when someone suggested that they lower their RH. there is nothing i hate more than a cigar snob. its ok to express that you dont like a cigar but dont put it down. I like gurkha. a good amount of people on that board dont. i mention that i do and all of a sudden i have no taste. iduno.

thats why this board is great. no cigar snobs. no poor information. plenty of discussion and we all have a say.

wasnt much of a rant but i feel better.

Comments

• Options
    MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    Well I'm glad you feel better, now go out and smoke a Gurkha!
  • Options
    pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    Kuzi, I totally agree. A lot of other sites are populated by people who think they know a lot but really don't. If you give an honest opinion they flame you and get offensive. It's to much drama and not enough info and discussion. That's the reason I am here and I hope this one stays the way it is.
  • Options
    Ditto. I have spent way too much time on forums like that, and around the sort of people that I imagine populate them over the years. This forum was a wonderful discovery in that respect, so kudos to all the people on here. You make the internet a better place.
  • Options
    Big DeanBig Dean Posts: 120
    I guess I got lucky. This is the first forum I've been on, and from what I'm hearing probably the only one I'll go on. I couldn't be happier with all the people on this forum.
  • Options
    rmccloudrmccloud Posts: 160 ✭✭
    I would have to second you on that one, Dean. This is the only forum that I really follow and has great posts from everybody.
  • Options
    ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    This is the first forum I've ever joined and from the way it looks I don't/won't need to go anywhere else.

Interesting topics + interesting people + good information/conversation + not a lot of BS = A great place to be.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I agree with all the above posts. Kuzi I too have jumped on other forums but rarely post because of the same reasons you just ranted about. I differ from a lot of you guys in that I'm not a bead fan nor am I a big gurkha fan. However, no one has ever "flamed" me we've discussed these things on a couple of occasions and you guys have, by not being snobs, encouraged me to give beads and gurkha's a second chance and have definetly broadened my horizons. I love this forum and haven't ran into anone on here that I'd call a snob. While there aren't any snobs there aren't any suck ups either and thats impressive. Usually you'll see a small group dominates the forum and every one else just agrees with them. I'm happy I found you guys and look forward to many years. Lets protect the integrity of this forum.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    ...nor am I a big gurkha fan. However, no one has ever "flamed" me we've discussed these things on a couple of occasions and you guys have, by not being snobs, encouraged me to give beads and gurkha's a second chance...
    heck, you guys may make me revisit RP's vintage line. Ive still to try the 99.
  • Options
    I haven't smoked the 99 either, typically I'm not a big conneticut fan but I've got one resting in the humi so we'll see. THe 1990 is one of my favorite cigars. I've got a few chilling.
  • Options
    mikalsanmikalsan Posts: 53
    You know, you are right. I never thought about it. I got lucky, this is the first forum I checked out, and liked it. I wish I had more time for it, but Iraq is pretty demanding. I was going to "flame" you for liking Gurkah, but I too like them. The Symphony and the Black Puro are AWSOME, at least my first ones. I have a couple more of each getting more "rest" right now. I have some Gurkha ’8-Year Aged’ Legend and Gurkha Grand Envoy Presidentes on the way too. I do appreciate all the info you share with me though. Lets keep it up.
  • Options
    dep691dep691 Posts: 311

This is the first forum that I found and joined. Enjoy it very much, I do admit that I do more of reading the posts then actually posting.

• Options
    Start posting dep. Get involved, voice your opinion! Everything I've seen you say is intelligent. We always need more of that.
  • Options
    amen brother