Home Cigar 101
Options

trying a new cigar-which vitola

jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
just wondering when a new line of cigar comes out which vitola do you usully pick up to try first? i know lots are different in ways but to get a true taste that might make you really get a feel for it which would you purchase first? reason i ask i was going to head down to my b&m and grab 1 of each of the new aka line

Comments

• Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    whichever one I can get the best price on...lol.. If money is not an option I usually will get two, A torpedo or belicoso, and either a toro, corona, dbl corona or lancero, In that order. I like to get a stick with a little more filler and and a stick with a little less than the standard 50 rg.If its only one then usually the robusto
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    whichever one I can get the best price on...lol.. If money is not an option I usually will get two, A torpedo or belicoso, and either a toro, corona, dbl corona or lancero, In that order. I like to get a stick with a little more filler and and a stick with a little less than the standard 50 rg.If its only one then usually the robusto
    your money is certainly no object, i can wait to make the purchases till you send me some,lol
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Yeah your last gift is in certain danger at this point. Will probably not make it through Nov.
    Thank you for all the others that came along with it!!
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    I usually get torps or belis. Reason is the better rollers are used for these vitola rather than the round cap cigars. Less likely you get a dud and a pointed end you can easily cut to draw preference.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I would say most often I go for the Robusto, Toro, Double Corona, Corona, Lancero, pretty much in that order, whichever size is available. Unless I hear that a certain size is really the gem of the line.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    I usually go robusto first, the size is a pretty good midpoint between all the sizes that are usually available and generally tells me which way I need to go to try other sizes.

• Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a torpedo or belicoso man myself. If a cigar comes out in a few sizes and it is a limited edition like most Viaje I will buy them all. If it is a regular production I will go for the torpedo or belicoso.
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I usually do a robusto, but have been leaning towards coronas lately.
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    Just whatever I get a deal on. I know many will tell you a corona, because the filler to wrapper ratio better shows off the characteristics in the wrapper.
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    If there were no Perfecto, I used to get the biggest ring I could. Now I find myself going for anything between 46-50 and 6.5" or less. Just my preference nowadays.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    This is almost exactly what I was going to say, word for word! The Kid, psychic at large.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I like to start out at 5 x 50(54) and move downward to a corona. I tend to have problems with ring gauges larger than 54 and get a better taste profile from coronas.
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Well my favorite size of all is 7x48 so I always look for the closet to that. Next choice is a toro or robusto hopefully no bigger than a 52-54 but preferably a 48-50.
  • Options
    gaberox:
    Well my favorite size of all is 7x48 so I always look for the closet to that. Next choice is a toro or robusto hopefully no bigger than a 52-54 but preferably a 48-50.
    this right here.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    My favorite vitolas typically are Corona Gorda, Panatelas, and Petit Coronas, so if a blend comes in any of those, I will definitely go for that. That said, I'll smoke most anything under about a 52 ring. Larger than that, I have to have a reason to try it.
  • Options
    dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Well I guess I am the odd man out then. I basically smoke Toros and Torps. The only exception was the Corona Gorda for the PDR BOTL 2010 Small Batch (bought 2 boxes). Occasionally I am gifted robustos but I NEVER buy them or any other size. Sometimes I will buy something close to Toro size if that is the closest thing to it but basically I am looking for 6x50. So if the Lancero of a particular smoke is the best and the Toro is not as good, I don't smoke it. Lucky for me the Liga #9 Toro is the best vitola of the batch. :-)
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    dowjr1:
    Well I guess I am the odd man out then. I basically smoke Toros and Torps. The only exception was the Corona Gorda for the PDR BOTL 2010 Small Batch (bought 2 boxes). Occasionally I am gifted robustos but I NEVER buy them or any other size. Sometimes I will buy something close to Toro size if that is the closest thing to it but basically I am looking for 6x50. So if the Lancero of a particular smoke is the best and the Toro is not as good, I don't smoke it. Lucky for me the Liga #9 Toro is the best vitola of the batch. :-)
    I must disagree have you had the LP9 x2 corona?