Home General Discussion
Options

Mold

About six to eight months ago I received a cigar jar in one of the one day deals from cigar.com (http://www.cigar.com/accessories/viewaccessories.asp?subcatid=acc_hum). It has a cedar(I think) disc at the bottom so I placed one of those water pillows that are sent with cigar.com orders thinking that when I got around to using the jar the cedar would be seasoned. Well today I thought I would put some cigars in it for a trip I am taking this weekend and I looked at the bottom of the jar...there was a thick layer of green-blue mold growing on the bottom of the cedar. I sure am glad I noticed before putting cigars in the jar. Luckly, I have a hard plastic travel humidor that holds about 15 cigars.

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    does it look easy to get rid of?
  • Options
    golfcigarjunkiegolfcigarjunkie Posts: 61
    Matt it came off easy and I sanded the disc. I will let it sit for a while before thinking of using it. I might never use it because I have others that are better, the only reason I have it is because it was included in a cigar purchase.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. You thinking the water pillow caused that much humidity? Or was it really humid where it was stored?
  • Options
    golfcigarjunkiegolfcigarjunkie Posts: 61
    It must have the jar was sealed(it has an airtight seal) for six to eight months with only the water pillow in it. The only other reason could be that there was mold spores already on the cedar disk when I got it. I live in a cold dry climate.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Well that furthers Kuzi's point about mold and the water pillows. I definetly won't use one for more than a temporary solution now.
  • Options
    mikalsanmikalsan Posts: 53
    I always thought those jars would be to air tight. I'll def stay away as well. I have a cool 16-20 cedar box that has a leather zipper case on it that works awsome for travel. Not a long term solution though, but that is what the bigger box it for.