Home Cigar 101
Options

Coolidor - getting started

OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
Okay, so I have decided that I am going to need a bit more room if I plan on building my collection as I only have one desktop right now. Any thoughts on getting my coolidor started? I am going to try the 100% non scented scilica gel cat litter and temp/humidity guage. Any other thoughts or advice? Do I need to Put the ceader from empty boxes in their first for a few days? How should I clean it before starting? How do you, or do you have to season a cooler? Any advice would help.

Comments

• Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Repeat after me. "I can quit whenever I want to"! LOL
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Lots of threads posted about this, but I will try and recap it. I would go bigger, rather than smaller...48qt is a great starting point...Tupperdors are about 1/3 the cost as well, so keep that open unless you will be storing it in a place with high temperature variances.

Get it home and wash it out with a mild detergent once or twice and then dry. The do one of the following two(or both): put newspaper in there to deteriorate the plastic smell or pour some baking soda onto a plate and let it sit in there as well with the lid closed, for about 24-36hours. If it still smells wash and repeat the previous steps.

Choosing how to humidify it you have already decided, so I would put the beads in a nylon stocking, or similar, charge them, and then put them in the cooler with the cedar strips along with a hygro and make sure the numbers are good. I would put cedar from older boxes in there, all pending if you like the cedar taste from a cigar and how you are storing the cigars(personal preference). If you are storing the cigars in old boxes then I would maybe put a couple cedar dividers or broken down boxes in there, but if you are storing with baggies I would put more cedar in to compensate.

The cleaning process should take about 3 days and then you are set.
    PM me with any questions!
  • Options
    TeegeTeege Posts: 660
    I am thinking about doing this as well thanks for all the advice!
  • Options
    wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    go for a 120/150 qt .... better to have too much space.
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    since its here, whats the best kitty litter stuff to use? link ,please
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    wwestern:
    As someone who did not take this advice, I concur that you should do this. While something a little smaller may look like a lot, it will fill up fast and then you have to buy another one.
  • Options
    pbchevopbchevo Posts: 712
    thats the first time i hear kitty litter to use lmk how that works
  • Options
    bdmauk24bdmauk24 Posts: 74
    Petsmart has unscented silica gel cat litter 8 lb for $14. Gonna get some for my next tupperdor project.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    wwestern:
    agreed! I bought a 120qt a couple moths ago when I started having storage issues, thinking I'd never need to purchase another storage device. Wrong. I already need another cooler.

I give the same advice about cooler that I give about getting your first tattoo. Get exactly twice as big as what's in your head. Don't start small just to see what it's like. It's awesome, and you'll wish you had more space (or ink... lol) in the future. TRUST ME.
  • Options
    BigT06:
    wwestern:
    agreed! I bought a 120qt a couple moths ago when I started having storage issues, thinking I'd never need to purchase another storage device. Wrong. I already need another cooler.

I give the same advice about cooler that I give about getting your first tattoo. Get exactly twice as big as what's in your head. Don't start small just to see what it's like. It's awesome, and you'll wish you had more space (or ink... lol) in the future. TRUST ME.

GREAT analogy. haha. very true.
  • Options
    Todd - if that analogy had only come a day sooner! I bought a 50qt yesterday. Just like tattos - my first was about 3 inches wide, now anything less than a half sleeve or rib/back piece won't work. I am covered! Crud! Oh well, I will have a good vacation cooler in the future. And Rick, I can quit IF I want to. :)
  • Options
    OchoZacho:
    Todd - if that analogy had only come a day sooner! I bought a 50qt yesterday. Just like tattos - my first was about 3 inches wide, now anything less than a half sleeve or rib/back piece won't work. I am covered! Crud! Oh well, I will have a good vacation cooler in the future. And Rick, I can quit IF I want to. :)
    50qt is a good size, I am comfortably fitting about 200-225 in there and that is with bad sorting and minimal space maintenance and a 1/2lb of beads...stays at 66/67 every day of the week.
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    50qt is a good size, I am comfortably fitting about 200-225 in there and that is with bad sorting and minimal space maintenance and a 1/2lb of beads...stays at 66/67 every day of the week.
    Good to know. I was thinking about that size for a tupperdor. I've only got a small cooler set up now, but it will be outgrown very soon I think. Do you have any cedar in yours?
  • Options
    bdmauk24:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    Good to know. I was thinking about that size for a tupperdor. I've only got a small cooler set up now, but it will be outgrown very soon I think. Do you have any cedar in yours?
    Yes. Currently in there I store everything in old boxes, some still in tact and some broken in half. I get old boxes for free or $1 each at my B&M and they never leave their humi. I have about 3 box tops and 2 small cedar strips in there and about once a month I will spray them down lightly with distilled water to increase the cedar smell and hopefully pass some of that onto the cigars. If not the cedar can also act as a high-moisture protector as it will take humidity out of the air. It takes some playing around to get it the way you want, but once you do its very easy to maintain
  • Options
    Bout to drag in a 48qt I had sitting in the garage cause my 120 is full... gotta hurry and set it up while the wife takes my daughter to gymnastics... liable to be a rough night lol.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    You should have taken your daughter to gymnastics. Your wife would have let you stop off at Walmart and buy a new one.
  • Options
    beatnic:
    You should have taken your daughter to gymnastics. Your wife would have let you stop off at Walmart and buy a new one.
    lol
  • Options
    wwestern:
    Bout to drag in a 48qt I had sitting in the garage cause my 120 is full... gotta hurry and set it up while the wife takes my daughter to gymnastics... liable to be a rough night lol.
    You sound like me Western...I like my like one Mission Impossible to the next!
  • Options
    The night ended with me showing her pics of cabinet humidors and she said " That would be so much better than these coolers!" winning.
  • Options
    wwestern:
    The night ended with me showing her pics of cabinet humidors and she said " That would be so much better than these coolers!" winning.
    WINNING!
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    wwestern:
    Sweet !
  • Options
    wwestern:
    Nice! I just got my cooler set up and my wife has already said, Why did you do that? Don't you think someone will get you a humidor with Christmas coming? C'mon Santa!
  • Options
  • Options
    bdmauk24:
    wwestern:
    Nice! I just got my cooler set up and my wife has already said, Why did you do that? Don't you think someone will get you a humidor with Christmas coming? C'mon Santa!

Santa's takin Momma to Maui at our house, so all I got was a dumb look when I brought the cooler home!