Home Cigar 101
Options

Humidor HELP!!!

So I lent my desktop to a buddy who was just starting out. He has returned it to me and It appears he over saturated the cedar with destilled when he seasoned it. I checked the seal and I find that one side may have a leak. I think he must have warped the wood. Is there anything I can do to fix this, does anyone repair them or am I stuck buying a new one. UGHHHH, try and help someone out and end up paying for it.

Comments

• Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    WTF!! Nice name dude, you must have been hangin around here for a while.

I had a humi a while back that got jacked up. I ran a really, really thin bead of silicone around the seal, put saran wrap on top of the silicone, closed the lid, with a little force, for about an hour, opened it and carefully peeled the saran wrap off and let it sit open over night to cure. It's a trick we use on aircraft to weather seal panels and hinges, it works, but you have to be a wee bit mechanically inclined and patient to pull it off. It's better than buying a new humi and if done right, it seals better than a brand new high dollar one.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947

Jetmech_63:
    WTF!! Nice name dude, you must have been hangin around here for a while.

I had a humi a while back that got jacked up. I ran a really, really thin bead of silicone around the seal, put saran wrap on top of the silicone, closed the lid, with a little force, for about an hour, opened it and carefully peeled the saran wrap off and let it sit open over night to cure. It's a trick we use on aircraft to weather seal panels and hinges, it works, but you have to be a wee bit mechanically inclined and patient to pull it off. It's better than buying a new humi and if done right, it seals better than a brand new high dollar one.

Are you telling me the fate of the free world hinges on silicone and saran wrap...

• Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    Are you telling me the fate of the free world hinges on silicone and saran wrap...

Ummm....is it a Tortuga or Buffalo Trace night there gene?
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    lol Neither one Jet ...its Makers Mark (with one mix of trtuga) tonite and yes I've had my share and proably a couple more peoples ...no offense buddy lmao