Home Cigar 101
Options

Last 3rd of a cigar???

jkallen83jkallen83 Posts: 142
ive noticed that on some cigars i've smoked, the last 3rd of the cigar sometimes gets this liquid/oily feeling in my mouth and the flavor is terrible, kinda sour and bitter. first 2/3rds of the cigar can be AMAZING, and that last "nub" ended when there is still a good 1-3" left can sometimes develop this...

does anyone know what causes this and how to prevent it? best way i know to describe this is that it is kinda wet feeling hitting my tongue, kinda oily feeling..

normally i will just throw it away when this happens, BUT i have had a couple cigars that there was still a decent amount of cigar left to smoke and was REALLY enjoying it hated to lose so much..... it usually happens around the time it gets to the band.....only thing i can think of since im still new is that maybe under the band it is holding too much humidity and needs to be kept at a lower humidity before smoking???

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    smoke as dry as you can.

the less wet you smoke the less of a chance you have of getting this.
    also, if your RH is above 70 this is more inclined to happen.

• Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    I agree with Kuzi, some buildup is bound to happen and the speed at which you smoke will dictate this as well.
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    I agree with Kuzi, some buildup is bound to happen and the speed at which you smoke will dictate this as well.
    yes. speed is a cause as well. slow down. think 1 hour and 45 min for a toro at minimum.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Yep. Especially if you have a high RH/fast smoke combo...

if you take the time to let the smoke cool down before each puff, and keep your cigars stored around 65% you will see that this will get less and less frequent.
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Fuller bodied cigars do that to me when I smoke too quickly. Can't help myself sometimes. Tastes really good until about halfway, then it's too late.
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    kuzi16:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    yes. speed is a cause as well. slow down. think 1 hour and 45 min for a toro at minimum.
    I agree Kuzi, here are my speeds(or so): Corona-45min, Robusto 1hr-1hr 15min, Belicoso-1hr and 45min, Toro-2hr, Churchie-2hour and 30min...or something like that
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I am a faster smoker and rarely experience this but if I get a little tar build up I will break out the cutter and trim as thin a sliver as I can to get back to fresh tobacco. I agree keeping RH down in cigars (60-65%) reduces this issue greatly
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    I used to be a super fast puffer and would get that somtimes. Now a robusto can last me closer to 2 hrs and I rarely get tar or soft squishy cigars. RH is about 67 for me. A tight draw can cause it as well as less smoke escapes and causes build up.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    I have smoked for more than 10 years now....and I still get this issue quite a bit. I try and smoke slower, I try and keep it dry....often----no luck. Ive just gotten to a point where out of habit I will frequently get rid of the last 3rd and not even think about it. Some sticks, I do like the last 3rd and probably treat these better than I do other smokes.

The way I figure it, I just smoke to a point I am happy with the stick. If I dont want the last third....screw it. If I want more, lighting another stick is just curse of the hbby I have to do sometimes;)
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I have left cigars at the half way point ( very few ), and I have smoked cigars to where I was burning my lips and fingers at the same time. Where ever I decide I have had enough is the end. If you don't enjoy what the last third is offering, Put it down content with what the first two thirds gave you.
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    might need to get a bigger cut on the cap, if it starts to get kinda juicy,oily cut a lil more off and see if that helps , had a gran habano vintage 2002 do that to me
  • Options
    Vulchor:
    I have smoked for more than 10 years now....and I still get this issue quite a bit. I try and smoke slower, I try and keep it dry....often----no luck. Ive just gotten to a point where out of habit I will frequently get rid of the last 3rd and not even think about it. Some sticks, I do like the last 3rd and probably treat these better than I do other smokes.

The way I figure it, I just smoke to a point I am happy with the stick. If I dont want the last third....screw it. If I want more, lighting another stick is just curse of the hbby I have to do sometimes;)
    this just means that you are looking at cigars the way you should. if you dont like it anymore, there is no point. quit smoking. too many people keep on smoking like it will get better.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Amen Kuz-----buddy of mine does this. No quicker way to go from a cigar you like...to one you will never have again....when you smoke it past "that point".