Home Cigar 101

humidity

deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
Does humidity go up when your beads need recharged? My coolidor just shot up to 72% in the matter of a day or so.

Comments

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope but beads have a margin of error of about -2,+2 . So if you got 70rh beads it's not unusual.
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    Nope but beads have a margin of error of about -2,+2 . So if you got 70rh beads it's not unusual.
    ya these are 65% though, strange
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    deejmemixx:
    Does humidity go up when your beads need recharged? My coolidor just shot up to 72% in the matter of a day or so.
    check your seal, did you recently add any sticks?
    The Kid:
    deejmemixx:
    Ya I did add some sticks, about 12 over the past two days, the seal is good and tight.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    deejmemixx:
    The Kid:
    deejmemixx:
    Ya I did add some sticks, about 12 over the past two days, the seal is good and tight.
    there you go. those sticks brought it up.
    just wait a day or so.
    kuzi16:
    deejmemixx:
    The Kid:
    deejmemixx:
    there you go. those sticks brought it up.
    just wait a day or so.
    OK thanks, I was getting worried.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup anytime you add that many sticks you can pretty much expect a change one way or the other , till the beads have a chance to compensate.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Rhamlin:
    Yup anytime you add that many sticks you can pretty much expect a change one way or the other , till the beads have a chance to compensate.
    I can attest to this. The cubans I brought back were so freakin' fresh and humid that my coolerdor raised by 4 points and has only come down 1 point in 10 days! Adding new sticks that have a Humidity pillow with them always raises the humidity a couple of points as well. Time will let them settle and the extra humidity will not affect the cigars that were in there prior to the new ones being added. They are getting some of the moisture but they aren't soaking it up like sponges or anything.