Home Cigar 101

Aging sizes

beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
Is it just me? I tend to find myself putting the larger vitolas away for aging, and smoking the smaller ones. I noticed that my long-term humidor had much larger sticks in it than my 2 smaller, everyday boxes. Is it psychological, economical, Freudian? LMAO Or, is there a good reason to age larger ones?

Comments

• Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    I haven't bought too many boxes yet to purely park(as funding and storage space are already at full capacity), but I don't think I am picky about vitolas and their aging time...I will look at my humis to double check later tonight
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    In theory, smaller sizes will require less aging compared to larger vitolas due to the amount of tobacco in play. Larger cigars with more tobacco will take longer for all the oils and such to fully mingle and evolve. At least this is true for cigars that don't use aged tobacco, such as Cuban cigars...I'd imagine aged tobacco will behave in a similar fashion, but at the same time it's not the same.

As for why you do it...well, if you're like me, then you smoke more small cigars simply due to the time commitment involved. I don't always want to sit down for 2 hours and smoke a larger format cigar, so as a result my larger cigars tend to get more down time than the smaller ones do.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    In theory, smaller sizes will require less aging compared to larger vitolas due to the amount of tobacco in play. Larger cigars with more tobacco will take longer for all the oils and such to fully mingle and evolve. At least this is true for cigars that don't use aged tobacco, such as Cuban cigars...I'd imagine aged tobacco will behave in a similar fashion, but at the same time it's not the same.

As for why you do it...well, if you're like me, then you smoke more small cigars simply due to the time commitment involved. I don't always want to sit down for 2 hours and smoke a larger format cigar, so as a result my larger cigars tend to get more down time than the smaller ones do.
    not only that, but an aged cigar is clearly a special one. you will MAKE time for that.

i used to do the same thing. now i go out of my way to age all sizes.
  • very interesting, I just checked and noticed the same thing. The bottom of my aging humi is all Toro's, Beli's etc...

Im pretty sure its psychological for me, I feel like its only worth it to age bigger smokes as they will be more enjoyable for longer once they reach a few years. If I were to age a corona, it would be good.......but only for a short time! Maybe I'll revamp my thinking, we shall see!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:

not only that, but an aged cigar is clearly a special one. you will MAKE time for that.

i used to do the same thing. now i go out of my way to age all sizes.
    I guess something you pick up in this hobby is identifying cigars that have an aging potential. This took a while for me as I used to think any aged cigar would be better than it was fresh. Having learned more over the past 4 years, I'm more selective about what I put away for aging, one factor that has nothing to do with my selection process, however, is the vitola.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    yes, when i first started this hoby, i did assume that all cigars aged well. after a while i found that this is not true. i also assumed that the longer you aged, the better it would get. this is also not true.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    kuzi16:
    yes, when i first started this hoby, i did assume that all cigars aged well. after a while i found that this is not true. i also assumed that the longer you aged, the better it would get. this is also not true.
    I only get better with age.