Home Cigar 101
Options

Palate

big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
i was just wondering how long did it take for you guys to start picking up subtle notes, ive been smoking regularly for about 10 months now and i know what i like but i cant seem to define some notes that i read about

Comments

• Options
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 818 ✭✭
    Kinda new myself, but this thread was interesting.... http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/10439.aspx
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    spindrift:
    Kinda new myself, but this thread was interesting.... http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/10439.aspx
    high five there buddy.
    im glad you liked that thread.
    it took me a good long while to really understand what i was smoking. i read a lot of reviews and i kept tasting notes.

in fact, i would say that the biggest help to me in my cigar journey was keeping my catalog. i learned a lot from that. i also paid a ton of attention to how things tasted. i didnt just eat food, but i actively tasted it. the more i understood what common foods tasted like, the more i understood what cigars tasted like.
    dont get discouraged if you cant pick out "shitake mushrooms grown in southern china and picked in a mid afternoon rain shower"
    things like that are BS.

at some point all that matters is if you like it or you dont. its fun to understand why but it isnt NEEDED. just enjoy it for what it is. the rest will come in time. dont rush it... mainly because you cant.

in that thread posted in the above post there are flavor wheels that will point out many common tastes in cigars, and some not so common. knowing what you are looking for is the key.
  • Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    lol, love that mushroom reference. i have been noticing ive been trying to really taste things, especially in micro brew beer, and i recently started drinking scotch. i think im gonna start keeping some notes when i smoke cigars, especially ones that i read about and try to compare, that developing your palate post is a real eye opener, good stuff
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I like reading the reviews and then seeing if I can pick out that notes people talk about. I think it helps alot if you have developed a palate for other things (Scotch , craft beers, ect ). Never would have thought as a kid that I would grow up to appreciate the things that I enjoy now.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Direwolf:
    I like reading the reviews and then seeing if I can pick out that notes people talk about.
    i agree 100%. reading many reviews all of the same cigar then smoking that cigar will help you identify a good amount of a flavor profile. most of the time there is a common thread in many reviews. people tend to taste similar things in the same cigars. there will be differences; over all though, a general flavor profile will emerge
    Direwolf:
    I think it helps alot if you have developed a palate for other things (Scotch , craft beers, ect ).
    i agree here as well. this is a host of flavors that you can pull from in understanding.
    it also develops the skill set needed in identifying flavors in cigars.
    many of us here are into various forms of "spiritus fermenti"
    i used to be a fan of wine, now its more craft beers.
    Direwolf:
    Never would have thought as a kid that I would grow up to appreciate the things that I enjoy now.
    when i was a kid my father would always tell me "dont drink!!" and "dont smoke!!"
    i mean, i was an athlete. makes sense for a father to say that to his aspiring son.
    ... funny thing is, when we get together now that im older all we do is drink and smoke.
  • Options
    bdmauk24bdmauk24 Posts: 74
    I just discovered kuzi's palate thread two days ago. Tried his techniques out on an RP Connie last night. Never knew how to exhale out my nose. I must say I was floored. The flavors just exploded. Can't wait to try out all my sticks now (as if I needed another reason)! Thanks kuzi!