Home Cigar 101
Options

First humidor

DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
Just ordered my first humidor. Should hit my desk Monday. What is the best way to season it properly? should I get the 85% kit and use that?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    That's a foolproof way to do it, so that's fine. You can also fill a shot glass or small bowl with distilled water and once the humidity stabilizies, remove that. What are you using for humidification(beads, gel, boveda packs, round puck) and hygrometer (measures humidity and temperature)? The experts will weigh in on this soon too.
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    What model is it? Seasoning packets are a pretty good hassle-free way, I have never used one to season one of mine. Normally I wipe it down lightly with distilled water 3x a day(around 8hours apart, before work, after work, before bed) for 2-3 days and put a shot glass in there full of distilled water as well. Once the humidity hits 75% or so I put the sticks in and they usually drop it down into the high 60s. Then take the shot glass out and get a regular Boveda packet that keeps the humidity at your preference(65, 69, etc)
  • Options
    I bought the Southport Large (120 cap) and a can of the gel from ccom. gonna hit my local B&M so I can put my hands on the various types of Hygrometers .
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just lightly wipped mine down once with des tilled water put my humidifier and a wide whiskey glass with a little destilled water in there. I figured a wider glass would work faster. Took about 5 days and was good to go.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Congrats on your first humi! I used the gel and foam humidifiers to season my humidors and that's it. Took about 5 days or so but it worked great
  • Options
    Yeah I'm really looking forward to being able to buy some sticks to hold onto instead of just what I'm gonna smoke quick
  • Options
    bdmauk24bdmauk24 Posts: 74
    congrats on the first humi. get ready, you'll probably need a backup cooler soon. These guys here are way too generous.
  • Options
    jkallen83jkallen83 Posts: 142
    im new to all this also, but recently got my second humidor.....i read alot on here about seasoning before i tried it, but both are successfully seasoned and working perfect.....here's how i did it, may be wrong, but it worked twice in a row....

i took a spray bottle with a FINE mist and misted the inside wood of the humidor with distilled water, then took a good paper towel and immediately wiped it down as from reading it says do NOT let water puddle. basically just to make the inside wood change color a little......then fill the humidifier and i put in a shotglass of water in there also and give it about 24 hours...thats all it really took for mine was about 24 hours, but i would assume it would depend on the wood and ur location and how much moisture is already in the wood....this worked for me and worked fast...

BUT, i had a problem with my first one with too much humidity....open it and let it air out....when it is aired out enough it will even out......then, BUY THE HUMIDITY BEADS everyone is raving about, they are AMAZING!!!!

anyway, this worked for me as a beginner...
  • Options
    Just checked the tracking on my humi. Delivered and waiting for me to get home. Gotta stop and pick up some distilled water and get that badboy to seasoning.
  • Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Direwolf:
    Just checked the tracking on my humi. Delivered and waiting for me to get home. Gotta stop and pick up some distilled water and get that badboy to seasoning.
    Nice...im excited for you bro....I think we can all remember getting that first humi.
  • Options
    smoke em if you got em:
    Direwolf:
    Nice...im excited for you bro....I think we can all remember getting that first humi.
    yea... and then it getting filled and HAVING to make plans for a cooler! Congrats dire!
  • Options

She's finally here. seasoning it up now. Now I can't wait to start shopping and filling it up .
  • Options
    Looks nice brother, just a tad bare.
  • Options
    Rhamlin:
    Looks nice brother, just a tad bare.
    Don't worry true believer.. Once it's seasoned I'm shopping
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Direwolf:

She's finally here. seasoning it up now. Now I can't wait to start shopping and filling it up .
    Well direwolf, those are three nice sticks to start 'er off with. Post another picture in a month, I bet it will look different then.
  • Options
    Bubba3650Bubba3650 Posts: 84
    Really nice. I cannot wait to get the one that my awesome wife just ordered for me as an early Christmas present.
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Damn, 3 great sticks...better start shopping so you can get the cooler faster! :)
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Direwolf:

That's some lonely ass cigars there. You know, they're just like people. They like to be around others of their kind.
  • Options
    greg2648greg2648 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    Direwolf:

That's some lonely ass cigars there. You know, they're just like people. They like to be around others of their kind.
    Might be a little bare, but at least they are 3 good ones. lol.
  • Options
    Gonna be one lonely one after tomorrow.. not working and planning on enjoying the day
  • Options
    PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    youre not keeping those 3 in there while seasoning, right? Even after seasoning, its not safe to have just 3 in that large box. When you open the box, the humidity leaves, and the air regains the humidity by taking from the humidifier, wood, and the sticks. Thats why its more stable with many cigars.
  • Options
    PsychoSJG:
    youre not keeping those 3 in there while seasoning, right? Even after seasoning, its not safe to have just 3 in that large box. When you open the box, the humidity leaves, and the air regains the humidity by taking from the humidifier, wood, and the sticks. Thats why its more stable with many cigars.
    Nothing being kept in there right now. Thanks for the heads up on needing to keep a good amount of sticks in it. What would be a good minimum number?
  • Options
    Half is good, 3/4 is better best is when there's just enough room to close the lid. I started with a 50 count and 10 sticks , worked ok but at the time I had the foam puck so I was always tweaking it.
  • Options
    damn I'm gonna have to get to buyin ASAP
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    I used the wipe down method on mine and let the damp rag sit on a plastic baggie for 24 hours and repeated. One reason I never really kept up with cigars was because I could never seem to keep a humidor up and running so to speak. Having all the different methods for humidity control now like the bead jars and humidity packs makes it's so much more hassle free. I just have two of the 2oz humidity jars and the regular top mounted humidifier in mine and it's been holding right at around 70% for a couple months now.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    Direwolf:
    damn I'm gonna have to get to buyin ASAP
    If you come out to the show next saturday (dec 3rd), then I'll help fill that humi ;-) *muwahahaha hahha muwahahah* *cough cough* Youre still here? I just remembered a funny joke, thats all.
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Direwolf:

Nice looking humi there brother. I'm pretty excited for you as well. The planning on how to fill it up and the actual shopping is the second best part of the hobby, besides the smoking part that is.

Well done though man.
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    I wish I had that much space ^
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    scarlin:
    Start smoking faster, buy another humi, or give away all your stuff in secret santa.
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    kaspera79:
    scarlin:
    Start smoking faster, buy another humi, or give away all your stuff in secret santa.
    I am way ahead of you on the 3rd option ;)