Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

L.G.C. Artesanos Retro Especiale

VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
I think thats the name of these anyway....just finished a nice little corona. I will admit, I was sitting with the daughter and older daughter (4 & 16) and through all the talking I couldnt take great notes on it....but heres what I got

Stick looks a little dry and rough to start, but in a good way----similar to a lot of Cuban cigars in appearance I would say. Very nice draw and burn and no issues with smoking at all. It was initially a little spicy with some incesnse type notes......a little similar to what I pick up from Hammer & Sickles....but it smoothed out quite quickly. I expected the stick to be mild, but it was solidly medium bodied. Not sweet, not spicy...but just enough of each to give the cigar a unique taste, but not in a crazy way. It is a very nice stick to me. I am usually a maduro guy, so 9 out of 10 natural wrappers I am so so with....but this was a real treat. It burned cool throughout and I didnt even mind I didnt have a drink with me. Give this stick a try if you havent already, seems like a nice stick for the weather getting cooler and the fact it was favorful yet straightfoward was quite nice.

Comments

• Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    La Gloria Cubana Artesanos Retro Especiales cigars was 8 years in the making. Team La Gloria cross-bred a Connecticut seed and grew it in Honduras. Despite the wrapper's golden patina, the blend is brash in its full flavor, engaging the entire palate. The double binder of bold Nicaraguan & Mexican leaf is further enhanced by Nicaraguan & Dominican ligero and an additional peppering of proprietary Nicaraguan and Dominican leaf. ....,, sound good and are priced good too
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I got a couple in the Best of Show Sampler here.. I am looking forward to this one, especially now that we got the thumbs up frm Vulchor, as he calls 'em like he smokes 'em.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Def looking forward to picking one of these up. Thanks for the review on it Vulchor!
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I have been looking at these, they are on my list to try.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i wanna try em now.

not that i didnt before but i forgot that they had been released. thanks for the heads up there.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Thanks for the review. I have a couple in the humidor, and might have to burn one tomorrow, now.
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Can't wait to try these
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    These and the Obelisco are on my gotta try list.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I've burned about 10 of these so far and I have to say it's pretty good.

• Options
    christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    I got one as a free sample. I wasn't expecting much. I ended up liking it more then the cigars I ordered. Unfortunately for me it is a bit price prohibitive. But overall I was very pleased, considering I am quite picky.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Tim threw one in with a recent order. I also found it a tad dry. The oils finally built up and the spice emmerged. As usual mike gannini has good flavors in his sticks.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    Tim threw one in with a recent order. I also found it a tad dry. The oils finally built up and the spice emmerged. As usual mike gannini has good flavors in his sticks.
    dry as is not sweet or dry as in a desiccant effect in the mouth?

or dry as in not enough rh?

• Options
    dry, as if it lacked moisture or enough oil in the leaves. Like it was exposed at the foot. Sometimes I 'll lite a cigar that just isn't bunched enough at the foot, or has lost some tobacco at the foot. This in itself (increased oxygen) causes the stick to burn a little fast and hot. Not until you get into it do the oils, moisture and tobacco even out. On this particular stick, it seemed the wrapper was not very oily or was dry at the base.
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    kuzi16:
    beatnic:
    dry as is not sweet or dry as in a desiccant effect in the mouth?

or dry as in not enough rh?

Ok, Kuzi, I've been thinking about this question quite a bit and I'm still not exactly sure what you mean here so I figured I'd ask and learn in the process. The way that I'm interpretting each of your questions is this . . . so let me know if I'm off base here.

dry as is not sweet? - Never heard of this description for a cigar in terms of sweetness vs not sweet. What would you consider a dry cigar in relation to sweetness? Maybe a Fuente Sungrown? Somethere where you see the dark wrapper and expect something sweet but its really more about a dry spice than anything sweet.

Dry as in a desiccant effect in the mouth? - This one makes sense to me. I like a few cigars that leave a dry mouthfeel to the smoke I feel that when they age, they age really well. The ones I can think of that give me this dry mouth feel is the DPG Cuban Classic and most low end to middle grade Fuentes such as the Chateau Fuente and the Don Carlos. Am I thinking along the right lines here?

dry as in not enough rh? - ok how can you tell this? Is it purely by how fragile the tobacco is? For instance when you cut it or when you try to hold it in your teeth and it keeps cracking and crumbling? Or can you taste an under humidified cigar? And how?

Just looking to learn here and I've been thinking about this post probably since you posted it.
  • Options
    mine was the rh at the foot.
  • Options
    I've tasted the desiccant effect in some ISOMs.
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    So I did a trade with a brother and got a handful of these ........ I have to say I loved every LGC I have had to date and was very disappointed by this stick ....... It lacked flavor and as previously stated there was a dryness to it ...... Burn and construction were fine and on par with any LGC I've had ..... I really guess that for a stick 8 years in the making it almost felt more rushed and thrown together . I have two more and will burry them in the humi for another go.
  • Options
    ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    I love this stick. Have a double toro sitting in the humi I'd like to get to this morning...
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    kingjk729:
    So I did a trade with a brother and got a handful of these ........ I have to say I loved every LGC I have had to date and was very disappointed by this stick ....... It lacked flavor and as previously stated there was a dryness to it ...... Burn and construction were fine and on par with any LGC I've had ..... I really guess that for a stick 8 years in the making it almost felt more rushed and thrown together . I have two more and will burry them in the humi for another go.
    D@mn, that was me that did the trade too Jim. I feel bad you didnt like it man...it will be made up to you at a point in the future. And now you know not to trust my palate, lol.
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    kingjk729:
    D@mn, that was me that did the trade too Jim. I feel bad you didnt like it man...it will be made up to you at a point in the future. And now you know not to trust my palate, lol.

are you kidding me Dave ...... You totally hooked me up and loved all the sticks I got in our trade .... I intend on resting the remaining two ticks and smoking one in about six months and that will allow me to smoke or rest the last one for a longer period. It was funny since my buddy that was with me the night I smoked it is also a huge LGC fan and was like traumatized when I wasn't all that thrilled with it ..... No biggie though ....... I shall smoke it again and keep my fingers crossed.
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    I had one ROTT when they first came out all I got was a huge cedar bomb, but they have aged nicely
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I have one in the box, I think I will break it out and give it a try