Home General Discussion
Options

Bad stick to Great stick..

Wondering what stick did you have that was terrible at first but after some rest time turned into a great stick ? For me it was the AB Tempus. Had my first one with around 2 weeks of rest on it and did not care for it,but after 6 months rest it turned into a great stick.

Comments

• Options
    MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    For me that would be the Gurkha Symphony a month or more rest time really helped this one.....at least for me it did.
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    So, I've never had a dog rocket turn into gold for me, most of the time when I age a cigar that I thought stunk I get a slightly less crappy version of the same flavors I didn't like the first go around when I revisit.

But given that, I'll say that the the biggest changes that I've noticed when aging/resting smokes are the Diesel UHC and the DPG CC. Both went from really good to F'ing amazing for me after they had a year under their belt.
  • Options
    Biggest change for me was the Nica Libre. I liked it when I first got it, so I wouldn't say it was a bad stick. But after 9 months in the humidor, the flavors developed bigtime and the burn was a lot better.
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    I'm a huuuuuge fan of the Diesel. When the Diesel Shorty came out I picked on up in a trade. Let it sit for 3 months or so. Fired this baby up and could officially say it was the worst stick I ever had. Six months later bought a fiver because of the price. Lit on up and since then I've gone through about 50.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd have to say Ruination when I smoked my first ROTT I thought about throwing it our but fell in love a month later.
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Oliva Master Blends III. I hated the first one I had. I went back and tried another one about 6-8 months later and it was much more enjoyable.
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cubao. When it first came out, being a DPG ****, I jumped all over it. Smoked one ROTT and hated it, the spice was SO over the top. Had 1 a month later and still no bueno. After about a year I trade away 15 of them and only had a couple left. They went into the singles drawer and smoked one with about 16 months on it and was SO PISSED that I traded them because it was awesome. Within a 2 weeks I bought another box and a half and it is still sitting.
  • Options
    MTuccelli:
    For me that would be the Gurkha Symphony a month or more rest time really helped this one.....at least for me it did.
    Hated the Symphony a friend gave me,not sure if it had any rest, might have to try again with some rest in the humi.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I had the complete opposite thing happen and it was with the Gurkha Sherpa. I got a hold of a bundle of Sherpas that must have been aged. Fricken loved them. Over the course of a summer they kept getting better. Then I bought another bundle started smoking them the next day, they were ****. I Gave some away, kept a few,about a year later, they were like the first ones. Haven't had any in awhile now but I imagine I would age them first for the best experience.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    For me it was the Camacho Havana H2. I picked up a five pack and the first one I smoked was horrendous, so I forgot about the rest of them until three months later when I tried one and it was fantastic. Haven't had any since that have made such a wild swing, some have gone from good to better and some have gone from not so good to still not so good, but nothing so radical.
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I wouldn't say it is a bad stick, but the Morro Castle is only so so fresh and then after 6-8 months it really matures nicely and more flavors present themseleves.
  • Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Vegas AAA for sure! I didn't understand the overwhelming positive comments when they tasted bad to me. I had some well rested ones and can see what folks were talking about! Yummy rested but unremarkable fresh. Lesson learned, check!
  • Options
    AB sun grown... Hated ROTT, love em now with over a years rest