Home Cigar 101
Options

Beads & Pillows/Gels Combinations

blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
So I have a question I figured we could discuss and get everyones opinions/knowledge.
Ok so about 2 years ago I switched to beads after hearing about them. Best decision ever, they're awesome as we almost all now. This had me wondering a few things. Now its pretty common knowledge & manufacturer recommened to ONLY USE DISTILLED WATER. What are your thoughts on combining beads with maybe a few water pillows or even a few gel jars in the SAME humidor? I had a few pillows in my tupperdor for a week before thinking I better not use those together. Hear is my thought process:
Pillows & Gel jars use propylene glycol to control humidity. However it works I don't get into, i just know thats what chemical they contain that helps them work to maintain around 70RH.
Now I know from experience Pillows/Gels Do NOT last forever, they start to not work as well as they are recharged over & over with distilled water.
This leads me to this assumption: since they will lose capability over time, this means they are losing small amounts of Propylene Glycol over time, so this means a small amount must be evaporating into the humidor environment as they are releasing moisture to control RH.
Beads can absorb & release moisture. So if you have pillows or gels in there, am I correct that over a LONG time your beads can absorb propylene glycol with the water from the air? And since they recommend only Distilled water because other chemicals can clog up the micro-pores in the beads, wouldn't this mean that over a long time your beads could possibly not work as well, or at all?
Well that was my thought process, sorry its so long.
So what do you guys all think, if you are using Conservagel/Heartfelt beads, is it dangerous to also keep a water pillow/gel jar as backup/additional humidification? In my opinion its probably not a good idea, just wondered what everyone else does.

Comments

• Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    blurr:
    So I have a question I figured we could discuss and get everyones opinions/knowledge.
    Ok so about 2 years ago I switched to beads after hearing about them. Best decision ever, they're awesome as we almost all now. This had me wondering a few things. Now its pretty common knowledge & manufacturer recommened to ONLY USE DISTILLED WATER. What are your thoughts on combining beads with maybe a few water pillows or even a few gel jars in the SAME humidor? I had a few pillows in my tupperdor for a week before thinking I better not use those together. Hear is my thought process:
    Pillows & Gel jars use propylene glycol to control humidity. However it works I don't get into, i just know thats what chemical they contain that helps them work to maintain around 70RH.
    Now I know from experience Pillows/Gels Do NOT last forever, they start to not work as well as they are recharged over & over with distilled water.
    This leads me to this assumption: since they will lose capability over time, this means they are losing small amounts of Propylene Glycol over time, so this means a small amount must be evaporating into the humidor environment as they are releasing moisture to control RH.
    Beads can absorb & release moisture. So if you have pillows or gels in there, am I correct that over a LONG time your beads can absorb propylene glycol with the water from the air? And since they recommend only Distilled water because other chemicals can clog up the micro-pores in the beads, wouldn't this mean that over a long time your beads could possibly not work as well, or at all?
    Well that was my thought process, sorry its so long.
    So what do you guys all think, if you are using Conservagel/Heartfelt beads, is it dangerous to also keep a water pillow/gel jar as backup/additional humidification? In my opinion its probably not a good idea, just wondered what everyone else does.
    For all the reasons you listed here... I use beads ONLY. Nothing could be cleaner if you are going to be smoking it (in your sticks as an evaporate) then distilled water.
  • Options
    I've noticed pillows give off a distinct musky odor the longer I keep them around, regardless of whether I have let them air out after receiving them with a cigar shipment or re-charging them. Seems they're more prone to mold too.

I'd recommend a combination of devices especially as you get into larger humidors.

I have a 300 capacity desktop and I use an extra-large bead cylinder meant for 2000 cu. inches and it can't do the job alone - especially in the dry SoCal summer - so I augment that with 7 Boveda packs and it stays within +/- 2% rH of the Boveda packs rating.

That's not the only way though... you could probably have a great deal of success with mixing any beads with humi-care jars or the equivalent as those just require adding distilled water as well.