Home Ratings & Reviews

Kuzi's cigar catalog

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    I never got the nut flavors. All I got from it was power and spice. Not a bad thing necessarily but not very complex either. The local B&M has it in a lancero, I'm curious about that Vitola bc the Ligero would be less apparent with such a large wrapper to binder ratio IMO.
    i agree.
    Im also almost 100% that i smoke slower than almost everyone that posts here. Im sure that helps draw out more subtle flavors.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    [Im also almost 100% that i smoke slower than almost everyone that posts here. Im sure that helps draw out more subtle flavors.
    Most likely.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I had one of these a while back but I didn't smoke that slow. It was a torpedo, 6x52 or so and it took me about 2 hours to smoke. I didn't pick up on the nutty flavors either, but I had some burn issues with it. I thought it was a good smoke, but not as good as the Mx2. I have yet to try the Cx2 so I'll have to add that one to my list.
    2-26-09 been in humi since 7-14-08
    Oliva Serie O Perfecto (5x55)
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan
    Binder: Nicaraguan
    Filler: Nicaraguan

The cigar looks smaller than the posted 5 x 55 size. It is slightly fuzzy to the touch but looks smooth. The smell is very earthy in nature. The lick on the cap is light and earthy. The cut is easy with the double guillotine. The draw is again earthy with maybe a hint of black licorice.

The tiny foot makes lighting very quick. The first few puffs bring on a woody ashy taste and a bit of char. I hope it is due to a poor light. Once it settles a bit the char settles out a bit but not 100%. It tastes distinctly Nicaraguan to me (a bit papery and pulpy) and a generic chemical as well.

Getting to the first ash, the strange char amps up again. If it keeps up, I will have to cut this short.

At just over an inch and a half in I am done, and so are my taste buds.

Burn: 8
    Draw: 9
    Taste: 5
    Aftertaste: 4
    Construction: 9
    Appearance: 8
    Feel: 4 … it actually made me feel bad.

Overall: 6.7
    2 smoke rings (of 6) -- a flawed cigar

There are a few thoughts here.
    Usually I don’t like Nicaraguan tobacco vs. Honduran or Dominican. There was more to this than that.
    There was something wrong with this cigar. Something happened to it. It can’t just be that it is a Nicaraguan Puro. I have had Nicaraguan Puros before, and they were better than this. I may have to give it another shot at some point but not any time soon.

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I've gotten that chemical taste before. Not in an Oliva but in other cigars. It made me sick as well. I'm not sure what it is but I know what you're talking about.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Ick. I can only think you got a bad one, kuz. I've smoked a lot of those, and never had an experience like what you describe. It's one of my favorite perfectos.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    madurofan:
    I've gotten that chemical taste before. Not in an Oliva but in other cigars. It made me sick as well. I'm not sure what it is but I know what you're talking about.
    reminds me of the Bolivar I had.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Kuzi your detection skills are keen as a wolfs sight! I wasn't a fan of that cigar as well, but didn't get all of that taste you describe.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    I've gotten an overwhelming metallic chemical taste from a Gurkha Triple Ligero...it was so bad that it literally stuck on my throat and would not go away, could not even be washed away by another cigar and copious amounts of water. Damn near made me sick.
    This sounds like the experience I had with my first Oliva Serie V. I think I described it at the time as like huffing insecticide.
    I'm glad I never had that experience with the Serie V, never would have found how much I enjoy that blend. I do remember when you posted that now that you mention it. I think I have one of those original lanceros left...one of these days. :)
    it was a big let down. and it stuck around too. over 12 hours after the first puff and i still ahve this horrible char/chemical taste in my mouth. ... i even brushed my teeth ate.... TWICE
    Sorry to hear that, kuz. I really do think you got a bum stogie, but I know that doesn't make a lot of difference. Once you've had an experience like that with a cigar (or a drink or a meal), it's hard to overcome.

I've smoked one of those lanceros you sent me, Joe. It was definitely a better experience. I'm a little skirred of these double toros that Doogie sent me, though.
    im sure ill go back to it. there isnt another cigar that the oliva family puts out that i dont like. ... and they do put out one of my favorite all time sticks: El Cobre!!
    urbino:
    I've smoked one of those lanceros you sent me, Joe. It was definitely a better experience. I'm a little skirred of these double toros that Doogie sent me, though.
    I'd be scared of the double toro too. The double robusto, on the other hand, is a pretty awesome cigar and well worth trying.
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    I'd be scared of the double toro too. The double robusto, on the other hand, is a pretty awesome cigar and well worth trying.
    double toro is scarier than a double robusto... hmm...
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    phobicsquirrel:
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    double toro is scarier than a double robusto... hmm...

Those double toro's are some size eh? They are also well worth the time to sacrifice them. VERY tasty stick. Takes a little time to come on, but when they get there man they are hard to put down ! Toasty, and some nutty flavors. Mmmmm
    Sounds yummy, Doogie. I'll have to wait till warmer weather arrives to take on one of these titans, though. How long does it take you to smoke one?
    urbino:
    Sounds yummy, Doogie. I'll have to wait till warmer weather arrives to take on one of these titans, though. How long does it take you to smoke one?

Almost two full hours Urb's.
    A good book some good coffee (or a drink) and you're off to two hours of cigar bliss. At least for me. I REALLY like these.
    They would be right up there with the Master Select 3 that Dep sent me.
    I USED to like smaller gauge, med -to mid full in body. Now, I am such a cigar ****, that I like every size, length, and filler of almost everything I am trying these days.
    Sure I like some more then others... but well...
    A good book, some good coffee, and a good cigar. Sounds like a great spring Saturday.
    laker1963:
    urbino:
    Sounds yummy, Doogster. I'll have to wait till warmer weather arrives to take on one of these titans, though. How long does it take you to smoke one?

Almost two full hours Urb's.
    A good book some good coffee (or a drink) and you're off to two hours of cigar bliss. At least for me. I REALLY like these.
    They would be right up there with the Master Select 3 that Dep sent me.
    I USED to like smaller gauge, med -to mid full in body. Now, I am such a cigar ****, that I like every size, length, and filler of almost everything I am trying these days.
    Sure I like some more then others... but well...
    sounds like you smoke faster than me doogie. lol. I think it took me a little over 2 hours maybe 2.5. it's thick sucka! I've tried two MB3's and just can't get into them. I don't know why but I just don't seem to be a huge olivia lover.
    I haven't tried an MB3, yet. Just a got a sampler a couple weeks ago, though. I'm looking forward to giving them a try in a few weeks.
    from the reviews I was really looking forward to it but it just wasn't for me. I've had the "toro" and just recently the robusto thanks to ...well someone from here..
    I think you'll like it urby. You seem to like most of the olivia blends.
    That's true, aside from the maduros.
    strange... the G maduro is one of my favorite olivas... even though it is nicaraguan.

the V is still where its at, and the El Cobre is to die for. seriously.
    Yeah, most people seem to really like them. Just not my cuppa, I guess.
    kuzi16:
    strange... the G maduro is one of my favorite olivas... even though it is nicaraguan.

In regard to the "V" Kuzi, you said it is still where its at? What does that mean? Did you like it/ not like it or you haven't smoked one yet?
    Haven't had the chance to try the "V" Maduro but I'm thinkin' that it'll be a winner when i do get a chance to sacrifice one to the gods, judging by the way I like the Oliva's.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:

In regard to the "V" Kuzi, you said it is still where its at? What does that mean? Did you like it/ not like it or you haven't smoked one yet?
    Haven't had the chance to try the "V" Maduro but I'm thinkin' that it'll be a winner when i do get a chance to sacrifice one to the gods, judging by the way I like the Oliva's.
    He means it's good. Like people saying something is bad to imply it's really good.

Either that, or he meant that he's got two turntables and a microphone. (Actually, I just glanced up from my computer and realized that I have that, too. Odd).
    i do have two turn tables and a microphone... i also have that album... i also have had the V and the V maduro. both of them are where its at.... where is "it" at?

somewhere that its ok to end a sentence with a preposition.

i did mean that they are good. the V is one of my favorite things by Oliva. its right behind the El Cobre.