Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Kuzi's cigar catalog

Comments

• Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    The price is a little high, but when has that stopped me? I'd love to get a box, especially for the humidor, but that probably won't happen. Oh well.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Rob1110:
    The price is a little high, but when has that stopped me? I'd love to get a box, especially for the humidor, but that probably won't happen. Oh well.
    i feel that its worth it. ...even if you get one just to try it and say youve had one.

i also feel that it will age well.
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    I went through all 37 pages looking for your review on the Opus, couldnt find it, maybe missed it, could you tell me which page that is on. Thanks
  • Options
    CLICK

keep in mind this review was done 3 years ago.

to me this review is rough around the edges.
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Count me in on your split two or three way.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    CLICK

keep in mind this review was done 3 years ago.

to me this review is rough around the edges.
    Thanks! Any plans on lighting up another one?
  • Options
    ive had quite a few since then... just never reviewed
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    Rob1110:
    i feel that its worth it. ...even if you get one just to try it and say youve had one.

i also feel that it will age well.
    I'm sure I'll get one or two and wish I just bought the box. Who knows, maybe I'll have the scratch to split a box and put in the larger amount to keep the humi. They do sound tasty though.
  • Options
    I remember reading that review on the opus a while ago. Since I just had the power ranger the other night, I was reminded of just how much smoke those things put out and still burn incredibly slowly. It kinda looks like a small building is on fire after every puff.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    I remember reading that review on the opus a while ago. Since I just had the power ranger the other night, I was reminded of just how much smoke those things put out and still burn incredibly slowly. It kinda looks like a small building is on fire after every puff.
    its quite impressive
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    ljl:
    One more for splitting. Thanks Alex!!!
    I'd like to get in on a split too!
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I'm down for a split if ya'll are in too
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Alex Svenson:
    Actually I am limited to only about 10,000 cigar production per year because of the tobacco. This is the only cigar on the market with a Sumatra Ecuador maduro wrapper. The fillers are 100% lagers from omotepe, Esteli and one other place w which will need to remain secret. The cigars will be coming out in a new brand called man o war armada. It will ship in humidor boxes of 31. As a disclaimer, because of the limited production and massively expensive materials, this cigar is going to be quite expensive at $20 each or $499.95 per humidor box. I will however, do a special promo for forum guys that want to try. The price would be better but still most lily expensive.
    OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!! I will bite on this! Not the box as yeah, well maybe a split, but I can't wait!!! I'm the God O War and only the best is expected of me so I will have to redo my badge and add this to the line-up.

Yes gents I will do the Virtue Churchill, Man O War Double Happiness, Ruination Double Happiness, Man O War SE and the Armada all back to back!!!
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    ENFIDL:
    Alex Svenson:
    Actually I am limited to only about 10,000 cigar production per year because of the tobacco. This is the only cigar on the market with a Sumatra Ecuador maduro wrapper. The fillers are 100% lagers from omotepe, Esteli and one other place w which will need to remain secret. The cigars will be coming out in a new brand called man o war armada. It will ship in humidor boxes of 31. As a disclaimer, because of the limited production and massively expensive materials, this cigar is going to be quite expensive at $20 each or $499.95 per humidor box. I will however, do a special promo for forum guys that want to try. The price would be better but still most lily expensive.
    OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!! I will bite on this! Not the box as yeah, well maybe a split, but I can't wait!!! I'm the God O War I will have to redo my badge and add this to the line-up.

Yes gents I will do the Virtue Churchill, Man O War Double Happiness, Ruination Double Happiness, Man O War SE and the Armada all back to back!!!
    you're f'n nuts too. I wouldn't be able to breathe for a week.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    cholmes8310:
    ENFIDL:
    Alex Svenson:
    OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!! I will bite on this! Not the box as yeah, well maybe a split, but I can't wait!!! I'm the God O War I will have to redo my badge and add this to the line-up.

I could do all that before lunch.
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    cabinetmaker:
    cholmes8310:
    ENFIDL:
    Alex Svenson:

I'm not worthy.... allow me to bow before the almighty Cabi...
  • Options
    cholmes8310:
    cabinetmaker:
    cholmes8310:
    ENFIDL:
    Alex Svenson:

at some point isnt that a bit of a waste?
    your palate is totally burned out before the last cigar.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I can't wait to try the Armada. Sounds like a great cigar. Are these going to be in the catalog?

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    kuzi16:
    cholmes8310:
    cabinetmaker:
    cholmes8310:
    ENFIDL:
    Alex Svenson:

I wouldn't say mine was burned out when I finished. Was it in top form. Not even close but I wouldn't say burned out. I just consumed plenty of water while I did it.
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    ENFIDL:
    I wouldn't say mine was burned out when I finished. Was it in top form. Not even close but I wouldn't say burned out. I just consumed plenty of water while I did it.
    Ahhh...reminds me of the Army. Dehydrated? Drink water. Getting hot? Drink water. Wanna lose weight? Drink water. Got bronchitis? Drink water. Got shot in the leg? Drink water.
  • Options
    wwhwang:
    ENFIDL:
    Ahhh...reminds me of the Army. Dehydrated? Drink water. Getting hot? Drink water. Wanna lose weight? Drink water. Got bronchitis? Drink water. Got shot in the leg? Drink water.
    Don't forget to powder your feet and change your socks while you're at it....lolz
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    cholmes8310:
    cabinetmaker:
    cholmes8310:
    ENFIDL:
    Alex Svenson:

Nah, I enjoy every cigar I smoke. Lots of water and diet Dr. Pepper. Every now and then ice cold milk.
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Do we have an ETA for these sticks?
  • Options
    8-26-10 been in Humi since 5-7-07 (3 years, 3 months of age on top of whatever age it had before it hit my humidor)
    Romeo y Julieta Petit Piramides Edicion Limitada 2005 (5 x 50)
    Wrapper: Cuban
    Binder: Cuban
    Filler: Cuban

The presentation is the simple and classic Red and Gold RyJ band with a secondary band of gold and black. The cigar itself is about the size and shape of an OpusX **** (power ranger) but this cigar is an eighth of an inch longer. In the Cuban tradition, there is no cellophane on this cigar. The wrapper is dark and toothy. In fact, it looks like it has had a down right rough day. There is very little bouquet to mention. When the cap ic licked before the cut there is very little taste as well. Cut with my Xi2. the draw is darn near perfect leaning to the tight side with a taste that reminds me, though subtly, of mocha.

The first few draws bring on a woody and coffee flavor. It is very coffee by the second draw with the wood being more through the nose. the aftertaste is light and very short.

The cigar opens up very quickly. The coffee taste is still there with a light spice coming on. Through the nose the wood is still there but now with the spice and some musk and a floral note. The finish lengthens quite a bit. The burn is very uneven leaving a flaky ash behind.

This salt and pepper ash falls at almost one inch in. the flavor at this point is about the same but with the floral not ratcheting up on the finish. I am finding this very complex and very balanced. It is of medium body but with a ton of flavor and depth. Every flavor contained within goes well with every other flavor. They follow each other logically.

At the mid point a meaty undertone develops. It is more of an impression than an actual flavor. The spice leans to cinnamon here as well but the over all flavor profile stays the same. The depth of flavor is quite fantastic.

The constant burn issues are getting a bit annoying but not to the point of needing to let this one go. It is still more than one would hope for out of this cigar.

By the final third the body is building again. The coffee flavor comes out more and there is a hint more spice. The spice is still mild but a bit more defined.

The final puffs bring a bit of warmth to the mix and the coffee right out to the front.
    Burn to the burn
    Burn time: 1 hour 35 minutes

Burn: 7
    Draw: 9
    Taste: 9
    Aftertaste: 10
    Balance: 10
    Construction: 8
    Feel: 9

Overall: 8.9

• Options
    Nice write up. Do you think this one would have kept improving with age? Just a thought. You always have to wonder when a cigar is going to hit its peak.
  • Options
    no idea. and have no others to see. ... nor have i smoked one before.

i hope they dont improve with age. i hope i smoked it at its prime.
  • Options
    sorry about the late post of this review. i just havent had the time to sit down and tap this out.

again, thank you to vegassparky for giving me the opportunity to give this cigar a try. good looking out!

10-29-10 been in humi since 9-30-10
    Davidoof Maduro R (5x 52)
    Wrapper: Cuban seed, Nicaraguan (Jalapa Valley) Sun Grown Maduro
    Binder: Dominican San Vicente
    Filler: Dominican
    Blender: Henke Kelner

Besides a darker wrapper and a second band, the presentation of this cigar is the standard Davidoff presentation: the epitome of simplicity and class.
    For the most part, Kelner does not blend cigars that use maduro wrappers. Rumor has it that he is not a big fan. I, however, am a big fan of maduro wrappers. So as soon as I heard that this was in the works I knew I had to get my hands on one.

The cigar itself is ultra smooth in the hands and as firm as can be. The smell of the unlit cigar is a very light classic tobacco taste but maybe a bit sweeter. The lick on the cap has very little to is as well, maybe just a bit of cinnamon.
    Cut with a double guillotine. The draw is a tiny bit firm, but not too bad. Earth and chocolate dominate the unlit flavor.

The first few puffs are earthy on the initial taste with a pinch of sweet on the middle taste. The finish is classic Davidoff (kelner musk) but a bit sweeter and maybe a hint stronger. As the cigar settles in, the flavors only get more defined, and somehow it smoothes out even more. The smoke has a light mouth feel to it but it is still very flavorful. Through the nose there is no burn at all and this is mostly where the Kelner musk shows up. the finish is short and to the point. It ends just when you want it to.

The first ash is at just over an inch in (and almost 35 minutes). At this point some nutty tones develop on the initial taste. A bit more sweetness has snuck in on the finish as well. I am amazed how “clean” this cigar tastes to me. As with all Davidoff cigars I have had in the past, it makes my mouth water.

At the mid point the nutty flavor is replaced with a “hopsy” flavor. It is a nice change of pace. The sweet earth and the musky flavors are ever present. The body is on the medium side of full and is very satisfying.

With the cigar in the final third, there is a tiny hint of cinnamon. It is very mild and compliments the sweet well.

The last few puffs are much of the same just a bit more woody overall.

Hated to see this end
    Burn time:
    1hour 55 minutes (from a robusto)

Burn: 8
    Taste: 10
    Aftertaste: 10
    Balance: 10
    Construction: 10
    Feel: 10

Overall: 9.6

if you are looking for a special occasion cigar, this is a great go to.
    if the price point seems high keep this in mind:
    this was a robusto that lasted about 2 hours
    this is cheaper than the MoW Armada that all of you are so excited about. the Armada scored a 9.4.
    the only cigar that got a rating higher than this cigar was an Avo 22, another Henke Kelner blend (got a 9.7).

• Options
    t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    Thanks kuzi, the review was excellent. I have one of these that's been resting since they first came out. I can't wait to try it, tho I fear I will end up needing a box of em when I do.
  • Options
    t_evan50:
    Thanks kuzi, the review was excellent. I have one of these that's been resting since they first came out. I can't wait to try it, tho I fear I will end up needing a box of em when I do.
    Same here. Have one sitting in the humi as well. Wonder when I will smoke it....

Excellent review Kuzi!
  • Options

12-27-10 been in humidor since 9-16-09

Padilla Signature 1932 Robusto. 5 x 50

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Grown Cuban Seed Corojo
    Binder: Nicaraguan
    Filler: Nicaraguan Grown Cuban Seed
    Blender: Ernesto Padilla

This cigar has a smooth medium brown wrapper. There is a warm earthy smell to it. Cut with a Xikar 007 punch cutter. The Draw is very “autumn” in nature with a hint of nutmeg.

The first few puffs are a bit sweet and a bit nutty and a tiny bit of spice. The classic Nicaraguan “pulp” taste is in there but it is generally light. The “autumn” flavor that I associate with corojo is also there. All of the spice is on the finish.

As the cigar settles in, the flavors become more defined but do not change much beyond the sweet not is falling away. The nut/nutmeg flavor is brought to the front. The spice is still in the finish. Through the nose there is a note of leather.

The first ash fell at almost an inch. Now the flavor is turning more leather and the spice seems to come and go as it pleases.

At the half way point the leather has become the dominant flavor while the nutmeg has moved to the background. The space is the same.
    I find that the flavor doesn’t coat the mouth. Yes, there is flavor there but it feels very flat. The only way I can really describe it is if I relate it to music: it feels like the low end is turned down and is out of balance much of the time.

As the cigar winds down it is much of the same with a tiny chocolaty note in the initial taste.
    Burn time: 1 hour 55 minutes

Burn: 9
    Taste: 8
    Aftertaste: 7
    Balance: 7
    Construction: 9
    Feel: 7

Overall: 8.0

I’m not really sure how CA gave this cigar a 93.

I think I don’t like the way Padilla tends to blend their cigars. The Padilla 68 is good. But every other one I’ve had, I have been disappointed with. I’m still willing to do more “testing” on the matter…