Home Cigar 101

First Coolidor - Need advice on trays/dividers

2»

Comments

• MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Very impressive, wife said it is actually something she coulb live with, instead of that ugly white coolidor!!
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • TeegeTeege Posts: 660
    Very nice! Looks great
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    Much nicer thanm my sand box inspired coolidor.... yours doesn't even say igloo on the side!
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the kind words everyone....If any of you look to do something similar, feel free to hit me up with any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Also FYI....this ended up being about 1/2 the cost vs buying a similar sized pre-made cabinet/locker humi.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Very nice job and it's cool when you can save money and do the project yourself like that. We just need to see pics of it stocked now.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

The humidity beads came in last Fri. (1/20) and I got everything set up the next day.
    I used 1/2 lb. of beads and cut out holes on the lids of 3 ziploc type plastic containers then stretched panty hose over the lids to keep the beads from falling through the hole. It's working great, was cheap and was real easy to set up.

The humidity has been stable at 69% since Monday evening (1/23) so last night I figured it was time to start filling it with cigars. Here's the results.....(Sorry for the grainy picture....I've been having to take pics with my iPhone)

pic01pic02pic03

• JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    That's far too nice to call a coolidor.
    JudoChinX:
    That's far too nice to call a coolidor.
    Thanks and when I originally saw it at the store, that thought crossed my mind too. It was advertised as an all-weather "outdoor cooler", not quite sure why someone would leave one of these outdoors in all-weather though.

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That really turned into a fine looking humi.
    Ok....so this thing is starting to fill up and I want to get some type of storage/divider system set up before I add any more cigars.
    I would love to get some cedar trays/shelves made....but those are out of the question right now (spent that $$ on sticks).

So I'm thinking about using these plastic crates in the mean time, Amazon Link CLICK.
    I think the advantages with these will be:
    1) the holes/slots will allow for good air flow
    2) they stack well (I already have some for storing DVDs)
    3) plastic = no possibility of rust.
    4) CHEAP at $1.57/crate

The only downside I can imagine is that there aren't enough holes for airflow....what do you all think?
    Should I give these a shot? Has anyone used other types of plastic/metal dividers or bins for separating cigars in your coolidor?

• pbchevopbchevo Posts: 712
    jgibv:
    Ok....so this thing is starting to fill up and I want to get some type of storage/divider system set up before I add any more cigars.
    I would love to get some cedar trays/shelves made....but those are out of the question right now (spent that $$ on sticks).

So I'm thinking about using these plastic crates in the mean time, Amazon Link CLICK.
    I think the advantages with these will be:
    1) the holes/slots will allow for good air flow
    2) they stack well (I already have some for storing DVDs)
    3) plastic = no possibility of rust.
    4) CHEAP at $1.57/crate

The only downside I can imagine is that there aren't enough holes for airflow....what do you all think?
    Should I give these a shot? Has anyone used other types of plastic/metal dividers or bins for separating cigars in your coolidor?
    i think you better off with cigar boxes. go to your b&m or make a post here am sure some brothers would help you out.
    pbchevo:
    i think you better off with cigar boxes. go to your b&m or make a post here am sure some brothers would help you out.
    Thanks for the suggestion....I see lots of folks using those in their coolidors and from what I've read it sounds like they work real well.

I should have said this in the original post...but the reason I'm looking for something semi-see through and with holes like this, is I'd like to see which cigars are in the container. I suppose I could just remove the lids from the cigar boxes though if I go that route. Would there be any problem with that?
    Also right now I try to only keep boxes that have the original cigars in them. AKA I won't put Graycliffs into a 5 Vegas box, it just throws me off when I open up a box labeled 5 Vegas and there's no 5 Vegas' in it. Hence why I'd like to find a generic type container.

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see why they wouldn't work if the fit, until you got a chance to build some trays. That thing will look great with a couple nice trays in there.