Home General Discussion
Options

Cars vs Cigars

jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
Cars vs. Cigars

OK I was out relaxing with my cigar and got to thinking about all the brands of cigars and started to mentally compare them to car makes. I didn’t get into the various ‘models’ just car lines and here is what I kind of came up with….

Kia – Primeros Regionals,

Ford, Chevy, Hundai – 5 Vegas, Gurkha, La Perla Habana, Man O’ War, Ccom, Don Rafael,

Toyota, Nissan – Oliva, Rocky Patel, Punch, Romeo y Julieta,

Cadillac – Macanudo, Don Pepin Garcia,

Mini Cooper – Nub,

Lexus, Acura – Montecristo,

BMW – **COHIBA**

Mercedes – Padron

Harley Davidson - Diesel **(ADDED)**

Now keep in mind this is kind of from a marketing / quality perspective and I have not smoked all of these. This is just kind of how I pictured things……. Feel free to comment and change things, but it was an interesting smoke to say the least !!

There are so many cigar brands and many that I will probably never smoke but I would actually like your input to adjust as you see fit !

(BTW I am a Ford F150 kind of guy anyway)

Comments

• Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    You're gonna get all kinds of views on this one. I'd drop that Macanudo to a Kia! I haven't found a Macanudo I really enjoyed! I had a maduro that was ok but nothing special. I'm enjoying a Padilla Dominus at the moment. I think I'd stick it in the BMW category. And I'm a Harley Davidson kinda guy. The wife drives a Nissan.
  • Options
    I was concerned about starting a war about cars and cigars !

I also have a Harley Road King Classic
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Don't understand Cadillac and DPG. DPG's cigars are spicy, and intense.
  • Options
    bdmauk24bdmauk24 Posts: 74
    Mini cooper = nub That's a good one. :) Here's a thought: BMW=Cohiba

• Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    yup, and driving a CTS-V is pretty intense.
    working with very high end cars for a living taints your perspective greatly. I compare Fuente to Ford. Good at everything with some great everyday go-to's but if you know what you're doing, there are some real hot models. Opus, Anejo, Don Carlos Anny. In the same way Ford has the GT Supercar, Mustang Boss 302, and Raptor.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    docbp87:
    yup, and driving a CTS-V is pretty intense.
    working with very high end cars for a living taints your perspective greatly. I compare Fuente to Ford. Good at everything with some great everyday go-to's but if you know what you're doing, there are some real hot models. Opus, Anejo, Don Carlos Anny. In the same way Ford has the GT Supercar, Mustang Boss 302, and Raptor.
    Great comparative! I'm a Chevy guy (started hot rodding with a 85' Camaro Z28) so I was thinking Fuente = Chevrolet for the same reasons stated. Camaro ZL1, Corvette ZR1 etc would be my OpusX and Anejo/Don Carlos ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    Rocky Patel
  • Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    LOL! I'd go with a Saturn for that caption instead. Love those plastic body-panels!
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    wwestern:
    Rocky Patel
    Perfect HAHAHAHAHA

• Options
    White Owl Grape = AMC Pacer
  • Options
    ScottCScottC Posts: 38
    I like this thread. Here is my opinion when stacking cigars up with cars...

Honda, Mazda, Mitsubishi – Drew Estate (fun, usually driven by younger drivers, solid construction, makes you look cool but far from a muscle car)

Dodge, Jeep, RAM, Subaru - CAO, Man 'O War, Diesel (solid car, solid construction, usually won't let you down. Although the new Dodge Challenger is a true muscle car, the Dodge Caliber on the other hand loses its value as soon as you take it off the lot.)

Hyundai, Nissan, Kia – Gurkha (well known, a lot on the road, nice cars but not always worth the price and they sometimes let you down)

Ford, Chevy, Toyota – Macanudo, 5 Vegas, Rocky Patel (you either love em or hate em)

BMW, Cadillac - Montecristo (luxury vehicles, classic style yet always hip, proven brands for years and years)

Mercedes - Davidoff (luxury vehicle, when you see one you almost always look to see who is driving it)

Volkswagen - Cohiba (long lasting car, name and brand - once a VW fan always a VW fan)

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Gurkha = old junker with a conversion kit to make it look like a Shelby or Porsche?

Rocky Patel (now) = VW Jetta. Same name, associated with a great car, but now the car's a POS.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    ScottC:
    I like this thread. Here is my opinion when stacking cigars up with cars...

Honda, Mazda, Mitsubishi – Drew Estate (fun, usually driven by younger drivers, solid construction, makes you look cool but far from a muscle car)

Dodge, Jeep, RAM, Subaru - CAO, Man 'O War, Diesel (solid car, solid construction, usually won't let you down. Although the new Dodge Challenger is a true muscle car, the Dodge Caliber on the other hand loses its value as soon as you take it off the lot.)

Hyundai, Nissan, Kia – Gurkha (well known, a lot on the road, nice cars but not always worth the price and they sometimes let you down)

Ford, Chevy, Toyota – Macanudo, 5 Vegas, Rocky Patel (you either love em or hate em)

BMW, Cadillac - Montecristo (luxury vehicles, classic style yet always hip, proven brands for years and years)

Mercedes - Davidoff (luxury vehicle, when you see one you almost always look to see who is driving it)

Volkswagen - Cohiba (long lasting car, name and brand - once a VW fan always a VW fan)

Nice comparison...... there are so many ways you can go with this. The reason I started it is because I see a lot of flashy marketing of average (Ford) cigars and I really dont know a lot about the high end stuff so I am learning as we go. Great to get a lot of opinions!
  • Options
    ScottCScottC Posts: 38
    I read a quote from Kaizad Hansotia about his Gurkha cigars...

"You have your Ford, Toyota, and GM, who make very good cars that are mass-marketed and sold to the public. You're not going to fight with them — they are too powerful and too big. And then you have a company like ours, which is like Ferrari or Bentley. They only make a small amount to assure the utmost in quality and construction. The person who smokes our cigars wants a luxurious cigar they can smoke on a Friday or Saturday night, or during a very special occasion."

• Options
    ScottC:

"You have your Ford, Toyota, and GM, who make very good cars that are mass-marketed and sold to the public. You're not going to fight with them — they are too powerful and too big. And then you have a company like ours, which is like Ferrari or Bentley. They only make a small amount to assure the utmost in quality and construction. The person who smokes our cigars wants a luxurious cigar they can smoke on a Friday or Saturday night, or during a very special occasion."

unfortunately, they are quite the opposite. they have more entries in the catalog than probably anyone. Kaizad is full of crap. He's a marketing guru but they aren't the best out there.
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    dennisking:
    ScottC:

unfortunately, they are quite the opposite. they have more entries in the catalog than probably anyone. Kaizad is full of crap. He's a marketing guru but they aren't the best out there.
    Kind of Agree with you here Dennis,

Mr Gurkha is a marketing genius, and thats the image that they push. It is what it is. And I think it kind of stinks becuase some of their cigars are pretty good. The problem is that there are too many, and thats just it, their pretty good cigars. They aren't the ferarri of the cigar world, so when you pick up a cigar after reading the advertising your pumped, and then after smoking a pretty good cigar its hard not to come away dissappointed.

I just wish they'd cut the fringe lines, focus on only one blender, stop going over the top on boxes, quit calling themselves the rolls royce of cigars, and focus on the core lines that they put out and do what they do best, mild to medium smooth cigars. Its a good thing to focus on your strengths.
  • Options
    Also wanted to Add

Harley Davidson = Diesel
  • Options
    boydmcgowan:
    Also wanted to Add

Harley Davidson = Diesel
    I was thinking Ford Superduty Powerstroke = Diesel UHC
  • Options
    dennisking:
    boydmcgowan:
    Also wanted to Add

Harley Davidson = Diesel
    hahaha, fair enough Dennis, heck the Super Duties can take the shorty's and unlimited as well for the entire line.

Maybe HD can have the Man O War Line instead then, becuase there really is something in there for everyone and its all about no frills, old school power . . . and noise.

Gotta love setting off every car alarm on the road.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    boydmcgowan:
    dennisking:
    boydmcgowan:
    Also wanted to Add

Harley Davidson = Diesel
    hahaha, fair enough Dennis, heck the Super Duties can take the shorty's and unlimited as well for the entire line.

Maybe HD can have the Man O War Line instead then, becuase there really is something in there for everyone and its all about no frills, old school power . . . and noise.

Gotta love setting off every car alarm on the road.
    Body you nailed it... MoW is DEFINITELY Harley... raucous and loud as hell but a powerful brilliant and amazing package.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    I see it fitting I have a BMW and I love Cohibas LOL. Fun and interesting thread, I like it.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    boydmcgowan:
    dennisking:
    ScottC:

Mr Gurkha is a marketing genius, and thats the image that they push. It is what it is. And I think it kind of stinks becuase some of their cigars are pretty good. The problem is that there are too many, and thats just it, their pretty good cigars. They aren't the ferarri of the cigar world, so when you pick up a cigar after reading the advertising your pumped, and then after smoking a pretty good cigar its hard not to come away dissappointed.

I just wish they'd cut the fringe lines, focus on only one blender, stop going over the top on boxes, quit calling themselves the rolls royce of cigars, and focus on the core lines that they put out and do what they do best, mild to medium smooth cigars. Its a good thing to focus on your strengths.
    Part of that is the fact that Gurkha will put their name on pretty much anything. In fact, if I had to guess, like 50% of cigars that have a Gurkha band aren't made directly for Gurkha, or by Gurkha, but rather are just catalog exclusive cigars that Gurkha sells the right to their name for...
  • Options
    docbp87:
    boydmcgowan:
    dennisking:
    ScottC:

Part of that is the fact that Gurkha will put their name on pretty much anything. In fact, if I had to guess, like 50% of cigars that have a Gurkha band aren't made directly for Gurkha, or by Gurkha, but rather are just catalog exclusive cigars that Gurkha sells the right to their name for...
    you know what's ironic, Carroll Shelby will put his name on anything from a crappy Dodge Dakota to a Cobra. I dub Gurkha the Shelby of the cigar world. Some really great and some crap.
    I can agree with MOW and HD. Not really a fanboi of Harley but you can't deny th well rounded success and badass attitude much like a MOW
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    ScottC:

womp womp wahhhh
  • Options
    wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    ScottC:

womp womp wahhhh
    If by very special occasion he means only smoking 1/3 of a cigar then tossing it in utter disgust, I agree.
  • Options
    SalemSalem Posts: 717
    Can someone best come up with a cigar that matches the personality of my Mazda Miata. This is us. http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/31526_125421844155134_100000619561289_192464_2424243_n.jpg
  • Options
    I can't find how to post a pic here. :)
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    wwestern:
    BigT06:
    ScottC:

womp womp wahhhh
    If by very special occasion he means only smoking 1/3 of a cigar then tossing it in utter disgust, I agree.
    Most Gurkhas arent "that" bad. Utter disgust is a little overboard. Ive enjoyed Gurkhas at times, they just arent as great as adverstised.
  • Options
    imagehttp://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/31526_125421844155134_100000619561289_192464_2424243_n.jpgimage If this doesn't work, please someone tell me how to post pics on this forum. Thanks!
  • Options
    Salem:
    image If this doesn't work, please someone tell me how to post pics on this forum. Thanks!
    should be fixed now