Home Cigar 101
Options

Wine fridge warmth?

I just set up a wine fridge humidor, but since I live in San Francisco, I don't plug it in. It's in the garage and at 65%, but my question is more about temperature. The temp flux is usually between 55 or so and 60 or so. The question is, is that temp okay for storage and if not, and I should make it warmer, does anybody have any suggestions for a way to warm the inside of a winefridge that's not plugged in? Thanks, Matt

Comments

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    55 is a little cold. 70 is perfect but 65-75 is the range I shoot for. I'm not sure how to warm it aside from bring it inside.
  • Options
    bass8844bass8844 Posts: 416
    Can't really help with the warmth....but as a rule of thumb, too cold is always better than too hot.
  • Options
    StoogeeStoogee Posts: 157
    you can wire a light bulb to a thermostat that will come on when it is below a certain temp that will raise the temp inside. For me I have a space heater that runs on a thermostat that comes on when my basement drops below 62 degrees but I doubt it has ever even run.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    As far as the information I've read, the only real effect from a lower temp is a slowing of the aging process. If your cigars are smoking fine and you've not noticed anything wrong with them, I say leave them the way they are since you're not damaging them.