Home Cigar 101

I want to get a pipe... recommendations?

robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
I know some of you guys are pipe smokers so I thought I'd throw a line out here... I want to get a pipe, but I have no experience and no idea what to look for... I'd like to stay on the cheaper end too, but i don't really want a corn cob pipe... not sure why, i just don't... any input? thoughts on tobacco?

Comments

• you know i've been thinking the same thing. been looking at different websites and have no idea what to get. a little help would be appreciated.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Hey Kevser... I found this thread from a few years back... Pipe Info

some pretty good info there...
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Smoked a pipe for years but just like with cigars was a once in a while thing. I had a cheap drug store pipe my Mom had got me a long time ago but wanted something nicer. Did some looking around and ended up getting the Peterson Zippo set. For what the Peterson would normally cost by itself you get a nice Peterson Zippo Pipe Lighter as well. Both the pipe and the lighter are great and I really like them a lot.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• thanks, some good info on that thread!
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Go to your tobacconist, and see if they have any "Basket Pipes", which are usually seconds or imperfects made by the big names, and offer an opportunity to get a great pipe, that might have a blemish in the grain of the wood, or whatever. I have a few basket pipes, by names like Peterson and Savinelli, that I paid between 25 and 40 dollars a piece for, and they are awesome.
    Thanks Doc! Thats a great idea... I replied to a pipe post in the non cigar forum and Wes replied by saying he was going to send me a pipe along with a pipe tool and an 8 tobacco sampler... what a great guy!
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I love the Meerschaum pipes.. The way they yellow with age is awesome
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    a good corncob is a great place to start. they are forgiving and cheap. and if you find you dont like a pipe, its no loss.
  • Don't know where you are geographically, but if you're anywhere reasonably close to Chambersburg, PA you should go see JM Boswell (B&M shop by the same name) for a hand-made pipe. I have 2, a bent and a straight, and I love them.
  • Duh...see you're in Concord, CA...just learning how to use this forum. My apologies.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    kuzi16:
    a good corncob is a great place to start. they are forgiving and cheap. and if you find you dont like a pipe, its no loss.
    This is awesome advice.
  • OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    My suggestion, for what it's worth, is to buy a corn cob first. Try it a dozen or so times with some nice aromatic stuff. If you end up liking it, I would suggest you don't try and climb your way in price going up in increments, just spend $50 to $100 on a nice Savinelli or Peterson or something of the sort. I tried the opposite way and eventually bought a nice Savinelli. It was $80, but it is the best smoking, most enjoyable pipe I've had. It changes the experience 100%. PM me your addy if you pick one up and I'll pass on some special holiday blend that my local B&M makes every year. Hope this helps, but again, it's just MY opinion, doesn't mean it's right.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with a corncob. They are inexpensive and very forgiving. The last thing you want to do is invest in a nice pipe and find you do not like it or ruin it. I can get a corncob with pipe cleaners, filters, tool, and tobacco for $13. You should only smoke a pipe once a day and it is more work then cigars. I bought 2 unsmoked German pipes form the 1970's off of ebay and I couldn't be happier. You can find some really good deals if you look.

OchoZacho, I love the holiday blends. If you haven't tried it yet you need to get some McClelland Holiday Spirit. The stuff is amazing.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I bought a cheapie a few weeks ago and liked it, even though it doesn't smoke that well. Yesterday I bought a Savinelli and a Corn cob. They should be here next week.
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    I started with pipe smoking. Picked up a cheapy pipe for like $25, its handmade and all, but I dont know the name brand, as i bought it 5 years ago.

I never really liked it that much... it smells great, but the taste of a great cigar is SO MUCH BETTER in my opinion.

I still have some tobacco that was infused with brandy like 5 years ago. smells so good, but I just prefer a nice cigar. Might try it again tonight though. My pallet has improved immensely since then.
    thanks for all the feedback guys... sorry for my lack of replies... wwestern is a great BORK and he is sending me some stuff... he didn't go into detail, but he's sending over a pipe and a tobacco sampler... so I can give this a shot and see if I want to get invested...

Ocho, you have a PM... I would love to try out a holiday blend...
  • I was recently layed off from my non union job, of weding and fabricating custom rail for 18 yrs. yea I thought I would retire from this place. I need to know how to join the union, who to ask and call. I want to get certified and learn pipe fitting skills, or be in the milwright union, I really would like to keep building rail, but I'm up to any thing, that is skill trade, and will boost my experience, I'm not a quitter and need a place to retire from, any suggestions and help,desperately needed!