Home Cigar 101
Options

Beads - 65% or 70% what do you guys use ?

jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
Subject kind of says it all........ was wondering if I should order 65% or 70% beads..... I read a lot of bead posts on here and it seems all over the place...... thanks

Comments

• Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    65%
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    I use 70% beads because thats the way I like it (steady 67-69% all day every day), although I sometimes run into problems smoking thinner ring cigars. Its really all personal preference so there's no wrong answer.
  • Options
    65% works best for me.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    I've bought equal amounts of both, and then mixed them, and my rh stays around 67% - 68%
  • Options
    I have 65% and they bounce between 66 and 67.
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    72% (or 70 not sure) because it is Dry here so I fight keeping humidity up and it usually ends up around 67-70
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Mine stay between 69-71% but I would like to try some at 65 and even 62.
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I got a pound of 65%. Keeps the winedor about 67-68%.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I use 65% Heartfelt beads in all of my humidors, and keep them only partially charged, which keeps my relative humidity pretty solid at 63%, which is my ideal for smoking. I charge the beads in my cooler more, so they stay at 65%. A lot of the cigars I have been into lately (from... down... south... that island) tend to smoke much better at lower relative humidity, but it also keeps me from ever having had (knock on wood) a mold problem in any of my humidors.
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    65% - because of the "error" factor, and my comfort level.
    Beads aren't perfect - 1% to 2% "off" is quite normal.
    I'm OK with 63%........not OK with 72%

• Options
    jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Thanks guys...... 65 wins.... ordering tonight.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think my beads are 70 percent not really surei got the humicare large rectangle humidifiers. Usually stays around 68.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Rhamlin:
    I think my beads are 70 percent not really surei got the humicare large rectangle humidifiers. Usually stays around 68.
    Those are gel, not beads actually, and they are 70%.
  • Options
    asianbiker8asianbiker8 Posts: 551
    i finally decided to order the heartfelt bead 65% tube, think i made the right decision.
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    My house tends to be on the dry side so I have to use 70% to maintain 65%-68%
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Very humid where I live so... 65%
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    65% - because of the "error" factor, and my comfort level.
    Beads aren't perfect - 1% to 2% "off" is quite normal.
    I'm OK with 63%........not OK with 72%

+1 I've had a mold issue ONCE (before I switched over to beads), and once was enough so I'm paranoid about high RH. Plus I feel that most of my smokes do better at a lower RH (maduros, small ring gauges etc). My humi stays around 65-67% in the summer and about 62-65% in the winter.
  • Options
    CharlieCordusCharlieCordus Posts: 84 ✭✭
    So I need to purchase some beads. Are there any particular brands that are superior or are they pretty much the same?
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    CharlieCordus:
    So I need to purchase some beads. Are there any particular brands that are superior or are they pretty much the same?
    Thay are the same. The Conservagel beads are much cheaper though.