Home Cigar 101

Mold and RH

RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
Was reading something from Doc earlier today. MOLD, should we or should I keep my RH at a high level to prevent MOLD? Or just for certain cigars you do that. My cabinet stays at 64-66. My humidors are at 68-70. I find that my cabinet cigars burn better then the cigars I have in my humidors. But they all smoke good. I was thinking about changing my RH in my humidors. But not if it's probable for mold.

Kuzi or someone I know has talked about this at some time I'm sure. I just ran across what Doc was saying.....

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    70% is still in the range of what most call "safe"
    i do too.
    if it were only in the short term 75% isnt even that bad. much more than 4 or so days and id get the rh down.

my rh in my humidors is 68-70. i switched to that about a year ago. i have not had mold issues at all in the last year.
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    i do too.
    if it were only in the short term 75% isnt even that bad. much more than 4 or so days and id get the rh down.

my rh in my humidors is 68-70. i switched to that about a year ago. i have not had mold issues at all in the last year.

Thanks Kuzi, right now I'm not having any issues. Just wanted to be sure of how I'm thinking the best method would be....

• boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    kuzi16:
    i do too.

Totally agree with Kuzi here, even the part where he says to not freak out with 75%.

I had a mold Issue about 6 or 7 years back (way before my Ccom days) and it was 100% my fault. I ran an analog hygro that i didn't calibrate propoerly, a foam humidifier, used tap water, way over charged it, over seasoned the humi, the list goes on. So, I almost feel that if you use beads and have a digital hygro you'd really have to try to grow mold to do so.

I read an article YEARS back that said that the ideal is 72/72 for long term aging. And yes that 72 degrees and 72% humidity. I think its an outdated thing now, and that 72% and 72 degrees is too high, because it affects the smokability of thinner ring cigars and its too close to the danger zone for most people. But keep that in the back of your mind. Lower rh is used more now for a bunch of reasons, mostly smokeability for thin ring cigars, but I think 70% used to be the target across the board.

Anyway long story short I've always tried to keep my humidity as close to 70% as I can and use the 70% heartfelt beads now in both my smoking and my aging humi. For me that has worked well becuase I think the thicker ring cigars (anything over a 48) taste chewier that way and with the beads there's no more stress involved in making sure it doesn't go over that.

I am in the opposite bucket as Kuzi though. I think he recently increased his humidity becuase nicaraguan tobacco (did I get the right country?) tastes better that way, I'm leaning towards dropping mine to 65-67 in the smoking humi because I've recently smoked about 3 plugged cigars, all sub 46 ring guage, and plugged cigars piss me off. So, I'm looking at experimenting with a slightly lower rh to see if my coronas, lonsdales, and lanceros burn better. But I'll do my best to keep my aging humi as close to 70% as I can.

Anyway, hope that helps Rick, rh is all personal preference depending on your smoking habits, and I honestly think your fine as long as your between 60% and 72%.
    boydmcgowan:
    kuzi16:
    i do too.

Totally agree with Kuzi here, even the part where he says to not freak out with 75%.

I had a mold Issue about 6 or 7 years back (way before my Ccom days) and it was 100% my fault. I ran an analog hygro that i didn't calibrate propoerly, a foam humidifier, used tap water, way over charged it, over seasoned the humi, the list goes on. So, I almost feel that if you use beads and have a digital hygro you'd really have to try to grow mold to do so.

I read an article YEARS back that said that the ideal is 72/72 for long term aging. And yes that 72 degrees and 72% humidity. I think its an outdated thing now, and that 72% and 72 degrees is too high, because it affects the smokability of thinner ring cigars and its too close to the danger zone for most people. But keep that in the back of your mind. Lower rh is used more now for a bunch of reasons, mostly smokeability for thin ring cigars, but I think 70% used to be the target across the board.

Anyway long story short I've always tried to keep my humidity as close to 70% as I can and use the 70% heartfelt beads now in both my smoking and my aging humi. For me that has worked well becuase I think the thicker ring cigars (anything over a 48) taste chewier that way and with the beads there's no more stress involved in making sure it doesn't go over that.

I am in the opposite bucket as Kuzi though. I think he recently increased his humidity becuase nicaraguan tobacco (did I get the right country?) tastes better that way, I'm leaning towards dropping mine to 65-67 in the smoking humi because I've recently smoked about 3 plugged cigars, all sub 46 ring guage, and plugged cigars piss me off. So, I'm looking at experimenting with a slightly lower rh to see if my coronas, lonsdales, and lanceros burn better. But I'll do my best to keep my aging humi as close to 70% as I can.

Anyway, hope that helps Rick, rh is all personal preference depending on your smoking habits, and I honestly think your fine as long as your between 60% and 72%.

I appreciate your input just as well, thank you. When I first started out. I did a lot of research on seasoning my humidors and where to keep my RH. I went with the 69% Boveda packs because of that. But as time went by, I sort of forgotten my roots. But stayed with them. When Cabby sent the Cabinet to me, he sent 65% beads. They hold my RH at 65%. Sometimes it goes up or down one number. But that's it. I just realized that every cigar I have smoked. That came out of my cabinet, smokes very well with a good burn. I just saw a post that Doc did about a certain cigar having issues with mold at a lower RH. And was wondering if it's best to change my RH to higher one for the cabinet.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    RCY Cigars:
    I just saw a post that Doc did about a certain cigar having issues with mold at a lower RH. And was wondering if it's best to change my RH to higher one for the cabinet.
    I've never said a cigar had mold problems at a lower humidity, and if I did it was a typo. If you mean the Anejo, then I was probably drunk, but trying to say to store them at a LOW humidity, since they are prone to mold at higher humidities.
    Yes Sir, that was the cigar in question. Nevertheless, I think I have my answer. Thanks for clearing that up Doc.
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a single A

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
    boydmcgowan:

yup.... nicaraguan cigars do taste better closer to 70%

i find that a lower RH has less improvement according to size and more according to the type of tobacco and how it was fermented. however, if you are going from 70 to 65 then there should be enough of a difference to make a difference.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    dbeckom:
    I have a single A
    Marker:
    dbeckom:
    I have a single A

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You fellas that keep your cigars in the cedar sleeves may want to reconsider it. I have had the most problems with cigars stored in cedar sleeves developing mold, especially in the summer. When I was running wooden humis in the summer I got mold on my cedar wrapped sticks in the bottom corners of my humidor and some would have it concealed beneath the wrapper. AF cigars are well known for this. I remove all cedar sleeves from my cigars then stick them back in the cello. I also remove the green/black cloth bands as well. Anyone who has cedar wrapped sticks in their humis should check them out before it is too late. In the winter you may be fine but when the temps get over 75 it is a whole different story. I think it better to be proactive and not have to worry. Most of us store cigars for years and go through many seasonal changes so 65%-RH is better in the warmer months (IMO) if you are prone to high temps and do be sure to remove the cedar sleeves so the air can circulate better to prevent mold. I know how heart breaking it is to loose sticks you been saving/aging.
    I live in MN. The temp never gets over 70 in my basement. Ever.
    I'm in GA, but my house never gets over 67°-68° in the summer. As I mentioned, I've never had a mold issue before. I typically keep my ladies naked in my humidor...just not those few sticks :(

• amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    dbeckom:
    I have a single A
    i have never had a single problem with mold on any cigar ever. im not sure what i am doing differently but all coffins and cedar sleeved cigars have been good.
    If i figure it out ill give you all a heads up. i just dont have the issues and i am not doing anything different than any of you guys are.
  • amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Kuzi, now that I think about it I smoked an A
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    Buy the stick, pull the cello and cedar right there and inspect it. my B&Ms offer ziplock baggies anyways, so if its all good, pop it in the bag and go home. if it's bad, you never left the store, thus the B&M should take it back and offer a replacement... if they don't... Don't shop there!!! I pull the cedar off my stogies after a month or two of resting anyways. I just don't see the point of keeping them entombed when they are in a cedar lines box anyways.
  • CharlieCordusCharlieCordus Posts: 84 ✭✭
    Marker, my basement is at 68 deg. Max and my humi runs around 65% in winter. But it sounds like there is a case for removing the cedar on my 5 Vegas 2011 Limitada regardless...?
    Shoot Charlie. Where at?
  • CharlieCordusCharlieCordus Posts: 84 ✭✭
    You?
    Near Moorhead. We are quite a ways off :)