Home General Discussion
Options

Oliva V maduro?

So i found one... got it in humi next to the V and it appears the regular is a bit darker,,, the band on the maduro does say maduro were the other says ligero...is this right?

Comments

• Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    For some reason the colors on the Maduro's are not consistent. Some people actually had color differences within the box. I guess that is why the are only a limited release stick since they can't keep the color consistent.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The color is not consistent because it is a maduro leaf made the proper way, it is not cooked or dyed. The results for the final product will vary a bit due to many factors, not least among them is the chemical make-up of the particular leaf. I think consistency is good when it comes to taste, but when it comes to wrapper color I like to see some variations, it makes it all seem a little less homogenized.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I still have a few of these in the humi and all are slightly off color from the other ones. I'm cool with it. I'm glad theyre not like a RP old world maduro that heavily dyed. Still havent smoked one, trying to hold out until july. The b&m said the oliva rep was going to snd him a box...well see. Scarce little bastards these things are.
  • Options
    well, cool, must be real deal,
    Guess I should go back and get the rest?
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    Scarce little bastards these things are.
    yeah but good.
  • Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    mustluvcigars:
    well, cool, must be real deal,
    Guess I should go back and get the rest?
    YES, I have an unopened box sitting at the bottom of the humi.
  • Options
    Henry1Henry1 Posts: 20
    Jetmech_63:
    I still have a few of these in the humi and all are slightly off color from the other ones. I'm cool with it. I'm glad theyre not like a RP old world maduro that heavily dyed. Still havent smoked one, trying to hold out until july. The b&m said the oliva rep was going to snd him a box...well see. Scarce little bastards these things are.

Are some maduro cigars dyed then?
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    well my burro loving friend, maybe you could send me one... =) My shop has a bunch of the V's but no maduros. said he might get some in later in the year.
  • Options
    Henry1:
    Jetmech_63:

Sadly, yes. It's usually a cheap cigar trick. That's why i was incredibly suprised Rocky Patel did it to his Old World line. You take an old world(or any cigar you think might be dyed) lick your finger, touh the wrapper and make 1 or 2 small circles and look at your finger. I know Reo, a line owned by him, also does this. I dont know if it affects the flavor or if it's done for cosmetic purposes.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    Henry1:
    Jetmech_63:

Sadly, yes. It's usually a cheap cigar trick. That's why i was incredibly suprised Rocky Patel did it to his Old World line. You take an old world(or any cigar you think might be dyed) lick your finger, touh the wrapper and make 1 or 2 small circles and look at your finger. I know Reo, a line owned by him, also does this. I dont know if it affects the flavor or if it's done for cosmetic purposes.
    That's what I'm curious about, are the non-dyed maduros better than dyed? I realize taste is subjective, but everybody seems morally opposed to dyed cigars...why, waste negative quality does this impart on the cigar?
  • Options
    From what I've read about dyed maduro Luko, the dye was only part of the problem. The big problem was that the leaf was under-cured and not fermented properly, this gave a harsh taste to the cigar and is the reason a lot of people think a dark cigar must be full bodied. Now I don't know if this is the problem now, but that was the problem with a lot of maduro leaf during the cigar boom in the 90's.
  • Options
    Ah, ok...so it isn't the dying per se, but the fact that the leaves are underfermented...that would seem to make sense.
  • Options
    So what are some good non-dyed maduros? Is onyx, that's one I really like.
  • Options
    Padron does their maduro leaves the right way as does Oliva. I can't say for sure about the Onyx because I just don't know, but damn it all if they're not tasty. I will say though that the problems I mentioned with under-fermentation and incomplete curing were in reference to how a lot of maduro leaf was pumped out during the 90's, a lot has changed as I understand so even now a dyed maduro leaf may not be that bad, it could very well be a method used to make up for the natural differences in the finished color.
  • Options
    All this is what i thought was real strange about the RP OWR, not a harsh note in that cigar and i really like the flavor...so whats with the dye? I wis i would have known this at the RP event a few months back, i would have asked him. Onyx is not dyed, neither is Cusano, 5 vegas A. The only ones ive run across are Reo and OWR. Reo is good, not bad for an everyday smoke, but nothing over the top special.
  • Options
    Like I mentioned, I think the dye is to make a uniform appearance in a true maduro leaf. From the taste, the OWR maduro tastes like a proper maduro leaf, I just think they dye it to smooth out the color inconsistencies.

Another note about how they used to dye maduro leaf is that they would cook down a mixture of chopped tobacco, coloring and molasses for sweetness. Then they would brush this onto the leaf to "maduro-ify" it. This was done to leaf that was not properly cured or fermented, so despite its maduro appearance it was not a true maduro leaf.
  • Options
    so my V maduro is on its way to being a pile of ashes as I type here and damn I cant wait for the getting place to open to go deplete his stock and do my part in adding to scarcity of this cigar, this stick is certainly best when the color turns light gray
  • Options
    Okay I lied, I did not deplete his stock, but if that box is still there next payday...