Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Roku

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
Anyone have one? I have a roku 2 and love it.

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• Options
    MESKCMESKC Posts: 213 ✭✭
    Do they work well?My father is wanting one and I was thinking about getting one for him. Any input on which one to get would be great.
  • Options
    TeegeTeege Posts: 660
    I have last years model and LOVE it!! I recommend them to everyone!
  • Options
    I ditched cable in August and got a Roku. Works great with MLB.tv and netflix, and if I download tv shows I can stream them through the Roku. Saved me a lot of money.
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I bought the original roku box when netflix announced it. I loved it for 2 or 3 years till it died, I never got around to replacing it. it is sooooo much more convenient than the web interface.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    We used to use them in a lot of our store displays. Main problem we had was that the power supplies were crap and would always die on us. Still have a few (commercial grade) in the closet but need a remote to do anything with them.
  • Options
    zoom6zoom:
    We used to use them in a lot of our store displays. Main problem we had was that the power supplies were crap and would always die on us. Still have a few (commercial grade) in the closet but need a remote to do anything with them.
    I had the one in my living room for around 2 years and have never had a problem. Maybe it was a bad batch?
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    fyi, you can download an android app to control them over a network connection.
  • Options
    jihiggs:
    fyi, you can download an android app to control them over a network connection.
    DO WHAT??? Really... Do you have the name of the app?
  • Options
    ive also ditched cable, even w/ netflix and my hulu subscription, it still saves me $80/month. And I can still watch all my cable shows....SoA...justified..etc.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    I've seen the app, but the ones i have are set up non standard, and I have to have a remote to set them back to default before I can access them.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Ok... so my wife recently bought me a Roku (Angry Birds model) AND a 46" flat screen... for literally NO reason. So she kicks ass.

anyways, I have all of the basic channels (Netfix, hulu plus, crackle...) but I was wondering if there are any awesome channels out there that you know of that maybe aren't so well known? I know there are "private channels" or whatever, but I don't have any yet.

if there's something cool out there you can point me towards, that would be awesome!
  • Options
    Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking about getting one but I use boxee on my media center/gaming computer I just built works great.
  • Options
    Big, just google Roku private channel and you'll find a lot of them. I now have two of the latest model, they work great. I have some of the same widgets built into the tv and blu ray player but using the roku box is so much easier. (and my Samsung doesn't support Amazon Prime). If you have a wired Ethernet connection available they will stream much more smoothly than over wireless.

Andrew, it's my understanding that the Boxee software for PC is not being updated any longer. Perhaps not an issue, but may be at a later date.
  • Options
    One of the things I've found that I think is kinda cool is Play on.tv. It turns your PC into a media server and lets u stream stuff from hulu that is "only available via web". Comes in handy when I want to watch Fringe or some other show that isn't available in hulu plus but avail for internet streaming.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    I tried to use that, Chris, but I am bad with technology... that's why I like the roku... point and click. I have no prob cruising for channels to add, but I don't even know what you mean when you say use your PC as a media server. Lol
  • Options
    BigT06:
    I tried to use that, Chris, but I am bad with technology... that's why I like the roku... point and click. I have no prob cruising for channels to add, but I don't even know what you mean when you say use your PC as a media server. Lol
    lol, no problem buddy. That's why i like play on, all you do is install it on your PC and then download the channel and it goes out and looks for your pc automatically. not much to setup at all.

"Long ashes my friends."