Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Any Mickey Mantle Fans? **Updated Picture Arrived**

MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
I don't do much sports collecting but being the nice guy that I am I got wrestled into one of those deals....you know the kind "A friend of a friend has a really cool piece and they are hurting for money type thing"

An old riding buddy of mine calls me up to shoot the bull and he tells me that he had mentioned to his brother in-law that I (me) is always helping someone if they are in a tight spot.

If it was anyone but this brother I would of reached through the phone to throttle them for spreading the word. So I find out the brother in-law has a friend in dire straits and is selling off his baseball collection and all he has left is a framed picture of Mickey Mantle signed and has a COA.

So sight unseen I work a deal out through my friend and bought the thing. It is due to arrive this coming week. So my question to you baseball fans is if this is the real deal should I keep it or try to sell it to get a return on my investment?

I know Harley Davidson's and cars can hold their value or increase but does sports stuff do the same?

Comments

• Options
    I would keep it because personally, the way I see it is as a piece of history and pretend that we don't know he was a Yankee. But if you need affirmation as to why you should sell it... he was a Yankee.
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    MTuccelli:
    I don't do much sports collecting but being the nice guy that I am I got wrestled into one of those deals....you know the kind "A friend of a friend has a really cool piece and they are hurting for money type thing"

An old riding buddy of mine calls me up to shoot the bull and he tells me that he had mentioned to his brother in-law that I (me) is always helping someone if they are in a tight spot.

If it was anyone but this brother I would of reached through the phone to throttle them for spreading the word. So I find out the brother in-law has a friend in dire straits and is selling off his baseball collection and all he has left is a framed picture of Mickey Mantle signed and has a COA.

So sight unseen I work a deal out through my friend and bought the thing. It is due to arrive this coming week. So my question to you baseball fans is if this is the real deal should I keep it or try to sell it to get a return on my investment?

I know Harley Davidson's and cars can hold their value or increase but does sports stuff do the same?

SOunds cool, but one thing I do know about sport Memorabilia is that there are TONS of Forged and Bad COA... only a couple of COmpanys COA are reallyt accepted by the True Collectors ...... I would super Research all that first...
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Depends on what it means to you I suppose Mikey. If you are a baseball fan and this is something that you think is AMAZINGLY cool (and if its authentic, it IS thru the roof amazingly cool) then you should keep it.

If not, then as Ozzie said you should get it verified and then start looking to move it. Ive been away from the sports memorabilia stuff for a few years now, but in my estimation...

1) Mickey Mantle is a Hall of Famer whose place in the history of the sport is secure.

2) The man has been out of the game, in the Hall of Fame AND passed away for many years now. ... so given those two things, there isnt going to be anything happening that is suddenly going to make the price of your piece skyrocket. Not downing the piece - its AWESOME and Im sure worth a good bit more than you paid for it if authentic, but at this point for Mantle memorabilia its worth what its worth if that makes sense.

I guess what Im trying to say is if its priced at $100 by collectors today, nothings going to suddenly happen thats going to make it worth $100,000 to collectors tomorrow. It WILL appreciate over time, as with all things age brings scarcity (my daughter scribbles all over MY autographed Mantle pic, making it useless, other autographed Mantle pictures are lost in fires, a psychotic Red Sox fan goes on a mission from got to cut them all in half, etc), but nothing in the near future should happen that if you sold it today would make you go "D@MN I knew I should have held onto that thing one more day!!!"

Hope somehow that all made sense and was some help. Nice holiday avatar BTW. :-)

• Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    All tru my friend....some things you just can't pass up (and this is an awesome find), but some collector items as mentioned above is valued only by who has it...the market for sports memorablila is hurting right now, but I'd jumped on this too if i knew it was a legit signature.

The stuff I get I generally get for keeps, not to sell. I've also been too generous in the past sharing collectibles that I have (gifts)....I have several autographs from todays sports, but always looking for some of the older ones as well. I have 3 boys to distribute to later, and would love them to have these types of things in their mancave years from now...Mickey had 2 signatures (value depends on which), so research is everything in this trade..I have a few friends I trust with everything I have, but they may not have done the research themselves (only speaking from past experieneces)...so getting to the point....don't buy unless you see it, research it, and know what it is...good luck, let us know how when u get it and post some pics, would love to see it....
  • Options
    MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    The signed Mickey Mantle picture I purchased to help someone out arrived today. After looking it over and checking out the site of the individual that verified Mantles signature and viewing other pictures with signatures I believe I got the real deal. All I had was my cellphone to snap pictures with but I think they all came out ok except for the pic of the COA (little blurry)

Take a look guys and tell me what you think. In all honesty even though I enjoy watching baseball I am not a collector. If anyone is interested in owning this piece I will gladly entertain serious offers. I am not looking for a killer payday here, I just want to recoup what I spent plus a little extra.

I took the framed picture out of the box and left the foam packing and shrink wrap on while taking the pictures, then back in the box.

• Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    PM sent
  • Options
    Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Mike,

Chris Morales is someone who authenticates a large amount of items. Quite a bit of his sports items can be found at alwaysatauction.com. I'm not sure how good of a job he does. I've spoken to some other authentication companies about him an gotten mixed reviews. I'm not sure how much you paid but if you are in question, I would strongly suggest sending it off to PSA/DNA for authentication.
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Lakota72:
    Mike,

Chris Morales is someone who authenticates a large amount of items. Quite a bit of his sports items can be found at alwaysatauction.com. I'm not sure how good of a job he does. I've spoken to some other authentication companies about him an gotten mixed reviews. I'm not sure how much you paid but if you are in question, I would strongly suggest sending it off to PSA/DNA for authentication.
    agreed... PSA/DNA is the way to go... probably the most trusted authenticators in the industry
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, PM sent.