Home Cigar 101

Will soon smoke the first one....have questions

SalemSalem Posts: 717
Since a wonderful person here offered to send me some cigars to try, I thought when I receive them, that will be the time I will smoke my first cigar. I know it may sound silly to be posting here BEFORE I even try the first, but that's just how it worked out because I had questions before trying. I'm glad I found this place. Anyway, not knowing for sure whether or not it will be something I will continue, I didn't want to dive head first into lots of accessories that I may not use if I don't like it. I do know that if I DO like it and continue on I will need: ---a humidor ---cigar cutter ---a lighter I think that's really all since I doubt very seriously I will even be around other people while smoking becasue I don't personally know anyone else that smokes cigars and know of no places to go smoke them in public if I were a mind to. So, since I'm not sure (though it sounds so appealing and I feel I will like it), I don't want to buy those things yet. So how can I get by at first? How do I keep the few cigars I will have properly humidified? How do I cut my cigar without a proper cutter? What do I light the cigar with since I don't have the kind you find on these cigar sites? Your help is always very appreciated, thanks!!

Comments

• JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Matches work just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOem4JswMCk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF2ir96lHkU&feature=related

Himidor substitutions: You could purchase (cheap) an empty cigar box with a good tight lid, and some "humi care pillows" for humidification. Tim at cigar.com caould probably help with that. You could use a tupperware container for storage, but understand that tupperware will not "breathe", and you can easily overhumidify your cigars in tupperware.

For humidification I would suggest purchasing some humidification beads, which are used in museums for the preservation of precious documents in a controled environment. These beads are very inexpensive. I've purchased from Heartfelt Indusustries, and they are great people to deal with.

You can get an inexpensive cutter for five dollars. Talk to Tim about these questions. He can set you up at a good price, and his advice will be impecable.
    I should never post without proofreading; I can't type to save my a..!
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JDH:
    one thing i like about this forum, just go to edit and fix it, even a week or 2 from now you still can
    jj20030:
    JDH:
    one thing i like about this forum, just go to edit and fix it, even a week or 2 from now you still can
    Hey! Thanks. I'm sure I'll put that feature to good use.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    For the time being, you can store the cigars in the bag they are coming in, they will keep like this for a little while. Do you have a good sharp knife and a steady hand? If so, you can trace around the very top of the cigar - the head - to remove the cap. As for lighting it, you can just as easily use a bic type lighter.

Now here's the kicker...someone set you up with cigars already, if you pm your Info to me, I'll get you set up with the accessories you need. And if it turns out you don't like cigars, you can pay the gift forward to another new smoker.
  • SalemSalem Posts: 717
    j0z3r:
    For the time being, you can store the cigars in the bag they are coming in, they will keep like this for a little while. Do you have a good sharp knife and a steady hand? If so, you can trace around the very top of the cigar - the head - to remove the cap. As for lighting it, you can just as easily use a bic type lighter.

Now here's the kicker...someone set you up with cigars already, if you pm your Info to me, I'll get you set up with the accessories you need. And if it turns out you don't like cigars, you can pay the gift forward to another new smoker.
    Thank you! PM sent!
  • SalemSalem Posts: 717
    Thank you all for your help!!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just hope you don't get turned off by your first cigar. Each is different if you've never smoked one before hopefully your getting an assortment of molds to mediums. And don't judge it by the first couple draws, lots of cigars don't really develop their taste till you've smoked it down about an inch. Anyways here's hoping you enjoy the expierence.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i wasnt turned off by my first cigar but there were a few in there at the beginning where i wasnt happy with them.
    if you really want to give it a fair shake, then make sure to smoke a few.
    report back with details. there may or may not be things that we can help you with or tips we can give you to make your second shot a better try.
    there is a learning curve.
    dont be afraid of failure though.