Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Top 10 Liberal Hypocrisies

jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Good basic read. Thanks for the link sir.

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    oh god... this thread is gunna be "fun"

• Options
    kuzi16:
    oh god... this thread is gunna be "fun"

+1 look forward to ignoring it from this point on lol.
  • Options
    ok... i had to click the link...

the first one isnt a hypocrisy. it is a different definition (from the conservatives) of where life begins coupled with a person owning their own body (the abortion part) put up against the death penalty. the death penalty alone has a solid argument against it with 3 simple concepts: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. (i know there is much more on BOTH topics that can be said but i dont really feel like debating that part, only if it is hypocritical or not)

i dont really view people as being hypocritical for being in favor of abortion and against the death penalty, they are very different animals. comparing them is comparing apples to oranges.

there is at least one major hypocrisy that hear now and then when i turn on conservative talk radio:
    beliefe in the fundamental rights of the constitution/ declaration of independence but not seeing how it relates to all people.

guantanimo bay for instance...

"...That ALL MEN are created equal..."
    this means that all people on the planet have the same fundamental rights. the only difference is that the US has a document that recognizes these rights where as places like N. Korea choose to violate those rights.
    the conservative hypocrisy here is that we choose to recognize the rights of some individuals (US citizens) and not the rights of other individuals (detainees)

now i know what the arguments are with gitmo.
    "they are enemy combatants and do not fall under the constitution"
    "they waived their rights by attacking us"
    " the first argument is the core or the hypocrisy. they ARE people, and "all men are created equal" so we should treat them as such.
    the second argument is the other half of the hypocrisy. we treat criminals here like criminals. they have rights because they are humans, not because they are us citizens. the criminals at gitmo are criminals as well.
    Charge them, process them, and get on with it. dont hold them indefinitely with no end in sight, no closure, and seemingly no purpose (no charges)
  • Options
    Well said sir. Though I do think punishment for those that infringe on the rights of others should be harder.

• Options
    after a few hours to think about this topic i would like to say that my overall point is that both parties have hypocrisy as a group. I can point out many things that "the left" says in one form or another that seems to contradict itself. when i make these citations, they will all be from different individuals, not from the party or group overall.

i can do the same for "the right"

on a personal level, i try and look at each subject or topic as an individual topic posted, written, expressed by an individual, not as what "the left" or "the right" says. Every individual on this planet has their own opinion about everything. lumping individuals into one group or another will actually cause hypocrisy due to varying degrees of opinion within a group. saying a group is a hypocrite is creating a straw man.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    after a few hours to think about this topic i would like to say that my overall point is that both parties have hypocrisy as a group. I can point out many things that "the left" says in one form or another that seems to contradict itself. when i make these citations, they will all be from different individuals, not from the party or group overall.

i can do the same for "the right"

on a personal level, i try and look at each subject or topic as an individual topic posted, written, expressed by an individual, not as what "the left" or "the right" says. Every individual on this planet has their own opinion about everything. lumping individuals into one group or another will actually cause hypocrisy due to varying degrees of opinion within a group. saying a group is a hypocrite is creating a straw man.
    Agreed, and this is exactly why I always appreciate your posts, sir, actual thinking occurs on your part, instead of the coyote-pack mentality exhibited by too many Americans today.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I belong to the Independent Pack.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    All perceptions on these issues are shaped by a persons entire life experience therefore debating them here is pointless. All persons use some sort of standard to determine what is "right" or "moral" Even our basic laws including the Constitution have a foundation rooted in much older writings than itself. Some things can never be legislated but all men must be guided by their concious (morals) or lack thereof. Act accordingly but I choose to answer to a higher power than the Constitution.
  • Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    Wow. That article was stupid. It would be nice if both the dominant political parties of our country would actually work together for the greater good of us peons who elected them, but I suppose that wouldn't be as entertaining. We would never get to read cantankerous, single-minded diatribes like I just did.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah. Arguments like that really just diminish the relevance of conservatism. I'm a conservative and just really felt like that article was mostly hot-headed non-sense. I love that the guy constantly references the Bible and Christianity as a solid model against hypocrisy! Laughable at best!