Home General Discussion

Smoking stogies landed me extra 5k!

So here is the bad part of the story: I live in northern VA but used to live in Knoxville TN and never sold the house I used to live in. I rent it out at a reasonable profit. Well it was built in the 40s and back then putting steel reinforcement in basement walls was not always done. Fast forward to a couple months ago when a lot of hurricaine rain made a portion of an already bulging basement wall collapse. Insurance company said "not covered" and the repair bill was 8k. Yikes!

So here is where it gets good...or at least better. I am in Knoxville a while back preparing the house for the next renters...cleaning, etc. and I decide head down to the old city for a relaxing stogie. While in there enjoying a Liga #9, I strike up a conversation with a guy who also owns some rental property in the same area as mine. He asks me if my "hail damage" from the spring was as bad as his. I mention I did not know of any hail storms. He says he (his insurance company) had to replace a number of roofs of his. So he says I should at least get mine inspected by my ins. co. Turns out I did have some damage and ins co. cut me a check for 5.1k. Nice! So now I will see how bad the roof damage is and if I do indeed have to replace it or just do a few minor repairs. Either way, an extra 5k to help with things is HUGE! Had I not made plans to relax with a good cigar, I would have never met the guy and gotten the idea to have my roof inspected. Chalk one up for the good guys and stogies!

Comments

• BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Nice! lol
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    Excellent!! You should treat that guy to a premium cigar or two!
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    Sorry about the basement; insurance companies charge an arm and leg for premiums and then always deny or the pay out and drop you or raise an already high premium.
    Well at least a cigar lead to some hope. Hopefully your roof repairs won't be to expensive. Good luck.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Glad to hear it man! Love it when good things happen to good people!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's hoping the roof damage isn't too bad so you can use some of the money for the basement brother.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    That's a nice score...another BotL helping out another, AWESOME!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    its amazing how many people out there smoke cigars.

its also amazing who will find you because of it.
    i recently discovered that the market president of my company smokes cigars.
    i may have a new friend.
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Thats great news man!!
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    Congrats man!!!!!

where is your house located? I used to live in K-town before I moved to NOVA. Where in NOVA r u?
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Knoxville house in in Fountain City area...here in Nova I am in Brambleton/Ashburn area.
  • Pretty sweet story! Cigars always lead to good things
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    Funny how things work out. Sorry about the property damage, but its nice to see that you got reimbursed in return for something you have been paying in on. All this over a cigar. Very cool man!
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Just got the estimate in for roof repairs. $300.