Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Pearl Harbor

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
Today is the 70th anniversary of japaneese attack on pearl harbor. Alot going on in the world, but I will take a minute and say a thank you to my grandfather who was in the attack, and fought the japaneese for 4 years. Thanks grandpa.

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    Today is the 70th anniversary of japaneese attack on pearl harbor. Alot going on in the world, but I will take a minute and say a small thank you to my grandfather who was in the attack, and fought the japaneese for 4 years. Thanks grandpa.
    Thanks Krieg for the reminder,, I've been fortunate enough to visit the memorial/museum where the USS Arizona still rests and pay my respects. Thank You again!
  • Options
    TeegeTeege Posts: 660
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Watched a news report this morning.. They guy was 17 and in the crows nest on the New Orleans. After 70 years he's gonna make the trip back . I love talking to the old guys and listening to the stories they have to tell
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I think that's the guy from Ramona, (outside of San Diego) CA. Amazing living history there, not only for that time period, but think of the all the inventions, innovations, etc. he witnessed.
  • Options
    ctschirgictschirgi Posts: 63 ✭✭
    The words "absolute victory" probably had more of an impact than we will ever understand. These two words became a rallying point for both the US and Japan. I've often wondered if FDR had know how powerful these words were going to be, would he still have spoken them? Regardless, this terrible day really did awaken a "sleeping giant" and turn a nation of unprepared pacifists into the one heck of an effective fighting force. It is because of my neighbor, a B-17 Copilot who was shot down over Germany while flying his 9th bombing mission in 1943, that I decided to dedicate a good portion of my adult life to serving this fine nation. Seemed like the least I could do to honor the sacrifice of all the men and women who had served before me.
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NEVER FORGET DECEMBER 7, 1941 !
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    A day that will live in infamy indeed. Watching a really good special on the History Channel right now.