Home General Discussion
Options

ISOM

LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
So Henry's post got me curious. I've never had a cuban, other than a pre-embargo, and it sucked ass. So am I really missing out, or have CAs makers, as Urbi says, raised their game to a level where you're really not missing out. Part of me believes that the allure of cubans is nothing more than hype, but another part thinks they're probably, on the whole, just a tad bit better?

Comments

• Options
    cheymancheyman Posts: 157
    I feel like it's all hype.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I won't say they are better, because they're not. They are, however, very different and pretty good. I think a lot of what is said about Cuban cigars is hype related to the allure of the unattainable, they may have been the best cigars in the world at one point in time, but such is not the case anymore, not with such great cigars coming from Honduras, Nicaragua, Dom. Republic. The tobacco is still unique, but it is no longer better, not with the way the industry has grown.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    j0z3r:
    I won't say they are better, because they're not. They are, however, very different and pretty good. I think a lot of what is said about Cuban cigars is hype related to the allure of the unattainable, they may have been the best cigars in the world at one point in time, but such is not the case anymore, not with such great cigars coming from Honduras, Nicaragua, Dom. Republic. The tobacco is still unique, but it is no longer better, not with the way the industry has grown.

This is basically true, but I would add that I have had some STUPENDOUS Cuban's and some extremely good cigars from other countries as well.
    Like the price of some Gurkha's or Opus X's, which make them seem unattainable to some people, yet some people who have tried them several times have not been all that impressed. (particularly in the Opus X's). It is all about taste, IMO
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I think Cuba is like all other countries. I have had good, bad and great from Nicaragua, the Dominican, Honduras and Cuba. When we pull into port about 99% of cigar shops i go to have cubans, some are great and others are ass. I certainly dont think they are the holy grail of cigars like they are mad out to be. And i have 3 opus X (gift) resting in the humi, from everything i'm hearing from you guys, my expectations getting lower and lower.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    I think Cuba is like all other countries.
    I think that is what I was trying to get at, but failed to make the connection. The only thing that really separates Cuban cigars from the rest of the cigar producing countries is their relative inaccessibility, at least to Americans. Each tobacco and cigar producing country has something different and unique to offer. Most days, I'd take a Nicaraguan puro over a Cuban even though I have had some good Cubans. It's all relative to taste, so some people may really feel Cuban cigars are the best in the world, I, however, am not one of them.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    I think Cuba is like all other countries. I have had good, bad and great from Nicaragua, the Dominican, Honduras and Cuba. When we pull into port about 99% of cigar shops i go to have cubans, some are great and others are ass. I certainly dont think they are the holy grail of cigars like they are mad out to be. And i have 3 opus X (gift) resting in the humi, from everything i'm hearing from you guys, my expectations getting lower and lower.
    i think that the opusX is better than any cuban i have had ( though i have not had many)

OpusX, IMO, is a great cigar, especially with a year or two of age on them. I would even say that the OpusX line is my favorite line of cigars out there now. they are very complex, very well made and burn they way a good cigar should: slowly.

feel better now?
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    aaahhhh, my faith restoreth
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    that's good...I have an opus x resting...do not have any cubans resting (well, there's a guy named hector sleeping in our spare room right now, but that's a whole nother story).
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Hee.
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    The tobacco is still unique, but it is no longer better,
    I very much agree with this. I happen to really enjoy the flavor of Cuban tobacco, but it isn't necessarily "better" than others, just different.
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    I agree with the masses. You can get good and bad from any countryand everyone has there own personal tastes and preferences but for the most part, I think it's the hype that elevates the status of the cuban cigar.
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    cubans are different for sure, better is a relative term. construction quality is the same as any other reputable manufacturer, price is about the same (if you know where to get them), but do they taste better? only the person asking that question can answer it.
  • Options
    havanaalhavanaal Posts: 155 ✭✭
    I buy up as many as I can, whenever I can find them. Inconsistent quality, to be sure, but when you hit a good batch (this year I've already gotten a hold some Cohibas, Montecristos, and H Upmans) it's as good as it gets. Seems controversial for some reason. I was at a party last summer, and the host broke out some Ramone Allones. Seemed like heaven to me, but the smoker next to me passed on the Cubano and grabbed the Dominican Cusano next to it in the box. Go figure!
  • Options
    rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    I've had some that were "ok" and some that were fantastic... My two favorites are the Cohiba Esplendidos and the Montecristo #2s...

Are they all you might think they were? Not really... A lot of hype with a "forbidden fruit" kinda thing...

On the other hand... There IS something about a good cuban... A smooth almost buttery creaminess that has hints of ... well... Cuba.... LOL... Can't really explain it, but it's a taste I've never experienced from anything that DIDN'T come from the island...

And Luko... You got PM... :)
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    rusirius:
    I've had some that were "ok" and some that were fantastic... My two favorites are the Cohiba Esplendidos and the Montecristo #2s...

Are they all you might think they were? Not really... A lot of hype with a "forbidden fruit" kinda thing...

On the other hand... There IS something about a good cuban... A smooth almost buttery creaminess that has hints of ... well... Cuba.... LOL... Can't really explain it, but it's a taste I've never experienced from anything that DIDN'T come from the island...

And Luko... You got PM... :)
    I agree. When you get a good one, there is nothing like it!
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I have had a few cubans, and I would have to agree with most of the opinions in this thread saying that they are a different taste, but not "better" than everything else on the market. The smokes I had had a great full bodied taste, never had anything quite like it, but I do like other cigars from the DR, Honduras..etc... better. But I do admit, my expereince with Cuban cigars is limited.

"Long ashes my friends."