Gurkha Park Avenue -- sI!

Gurkha Park Avenue Maduro -- no!!

Comments

• Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:

LOL. Gotta agree with you on that one. I think the connie is a great mild stick for the money, so I was super excited when I saw there was a maduro version. It could only be better, right?? Wrong!! It wasn't bad but it sure wasn't what I was hoping for. Guess that's what happens when they don't reblend the filler for the different wrapper. BUT, I buried the rest of mine deep in the humi to revisit another day...maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:

+1
  • Options
    TeegeTeege Posts: 660
    GPA is one of my fav daily smokes I really like them alot. I havent tried the Maduro but doesnt sound like I need to lol
  • Options
    Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    As a person that is not much of a Connie fan, I have to say that the one I smoked the other day was very nice. It wasn't all over the map flavor wise, rather, it was fairly consistent and has very smooth transitions in flavor. I honestly have yet to have a Gurkha that I haven't liked.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Both fall in the category of.. That was okay, but I don't need to keep these in my humidor... Didn't suckk, but I wouldn't miss them if they were no longer available.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan of gurks, but I do like the park ave Connie.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    The Park Ave. Connie was probably one of my first 10 cigars smoked when I got into this hobby the summer of 2010. I ended up buying a five pack since I liked them so much. I haven't had one since 2010 so the ones I've been sitting on have been resting for awhile.

I bought a 5er of the Maduro at the beginning of the year. I've only smoked one and it wasn't that bad. I had it while I was on a long drive with coffee. I thought the flavor was good. I might have to revisit one of the ones I have left though if alot of you are saying it wasn't good. Maybe it was the coffee or traffic!!

Rob
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:

tambien!!
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you posted this, I like the Park Ave., but haven't had the maduro. Guess I'll wait for it to come on COTM to try for myself, as you sound pretty sure of yourself. :)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I've had both and thought they were both enjoyable smokes. Neither blew my socks off but enjoyed both of them.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a bad box or something. Every one of these has such a loose draw it's like sucking air though one of those fat fast food drinking straws. Anybody else had loose draws on these? I've tried to smoke three of them by now and I keep cutting less and less off the pointy torpedo head but still it draws soooo freely. I cut just a 1/8 to 1/4 inch diameter hole this time. I'm enjoying the flavor but the draw is still crap. Next time I'll punch it with a toothpick and see how that works.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    I got a bad box or something. Every one of these has such a loose draw it's like sucking air though one of those fat fast food drinking straws. Anybody else had loose draws on these? I've tried to smoke three of them by now and I keep cutting less and less off the pointy torpedo head but still it draws soooo freely. I cut just a 1/8 to 1/4 inch diameter hole this time. I'm enjoying the flavor but the draw is still crap. Next time I'll punch it with a toothpick and see how that works.
    Do they burn fast too, or have thin smoke? Ive had a few and all were good smokes, especially ( and surprisingly) construction wise.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I tried them a while back, I really didn't dig them. I always thought the Symphony was Gurkha's best conny.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    alienmisprint:
    I tried them a while back, I really didn't dig them. I always thought the Symphony was Gurkha's best conny.
    While I like both the Symphony is IMHO one of the best connies on the market.

• Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    alienmisprint:
    While I like both the Symphony is IMHO one of the best connies on the market.

I'll agree with that also. My favorite is probably the Oliva Conn Reserve, but the Symphony is a close second. I have heard great things about the EP Carillo New Wave, but I have yet to try it.
  • Options
    The GPA connie was pretty forgettable. I've smoked 5 and seriously do not remember much about the cigars at all and would have to go look in my dossier to be able to say anything more.

What I do remember is not about the cigar itself, but rather the marketing behind it. The name, the band, and the simple but refined look of the wood box combined with the price is meant to appeal to the proletariat in a manner similar to that of a beverage from starbucks, "an affordable luxury item".

One is supposed to feel that for the hour or so they are having this luxury they are enjoying something of the grade that a Vanderbilt might, and they aren't having to break their wallet to do so. The marketing strategy of holding the product out to be an affordable luxury worked well for starbucks, but it really shouldn't for GPA. This cigar is just too bland and forgettable, and I tried it at a time when the vast majority of the cigars I was enjoying at the time were Connecticut wrapped.
  • Options
    Aficionado_de_Perfectos:
    The GPA connie was pretty forgettable. I've smoked 5 and seriously do not remember much about the cigars at all and would have to go look in my dossier to be able to say anything more.

What I do remember is not about the cigar itself, but rather the marketing behind it. The name, the band, and the simple but refined look of the wood box combined with the price is meant to appeal to the proletariat in a manner similar to that of a beverage from starbucks, "an affordable luxury item".

One is supposed to feel that for the hour or so they are having this luxury they are enjoying something of the grade that a Vanderbilt might, and they aren't having to break their wallet to do so. The marketing strategy of holding the product out to be an affordable luxury worked well for starbucks, but it really shouldn't for GPA. This cigar is just too bland and forgettable, and I tried it at a time when the vast majority of the cigars I was enjoying at the time were Connecticut wrapped.
    Interesting point. That wide smooth band does give it a luxuriant feel in the hand. It's been a couple years since I had one, bought a box a long time ago. I liked them, said I'd buy again, but there's always something more interesting for the same or less money.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Bob Luken:
    Do they burn fast too, or have thin smoke? Ive had a few and all were good smokes, especially ( and surprisingly) construction wise.
    I didn't allow them to burn fast. It was a pain in the ass but I paid attention after I knew the draw was loose and had to pace myself to avoid a hot burn.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Aficionado_de_Perfectos:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Someone provide an assist please. What is that a picture of? The damn server I'm on blocks photobucket.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aficionado_de_Perfectos:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Someone provide an assist please. What is that a picture of? The damn server I'm on blocks photobucket.
    It's basically a sketch of a troll.
  • Options
    Bigshizza:
    Aficionado_de_Perfectos:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    It's basically a sketch of a troll.
    Great. Since I dislike Gurkhas in general and this one in particular, and I also happen to be new to the site, I'm a troll. Awesome logic there.
  • Options
    Aficionado_de_Perfectos:
    Great. Since I dislike Gurkhas in general and this one in particular, and I also happen to be new to the site, I'm a troll. Awesome logic there.
    A lot of us are unhappy with Gurkha in general. I came to the forum on a similar note, didn't understand why my opinion of the RP Puro Cubano was discounted due to post count, especially since I'd been smoking cigars longer than many members had been breathing. In fact, I didn't know what a "post count" was.

Took a while to see what was going on, frequently we're attacked by idiots with an agenda, it becomes easy to be suspicious of low post count opinions. I've done it myself. Hang in there, introduce yourself on one of the new members threads, it'll get a lot better with a little time. Welcome.

• Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    A lot of us are unhappy with Gurkha in general. I came to the forum on a similar note, didn't understand why my opinion of the RP Puro Cubano was discounted due to post count, especially since I'd been smoking cigars longer than many members had been breathing. In fact, I didn't know what a "post count" was.

Took a while to see what was going on, frequently we're attacked by idiots with an agenda, it becomes easy to be suspicious of low post count opinions. I've done it myself. Hang in there, introduce yourself on one of the new members threads, it'll get a lot better with a little time. Welcome.
    Good line there.

On another note, discrediting someone's opinion right away just because they are new to the forum hinders the growth of the community since a lot of users will be turned off by their reception, just like the user who posted the misspelled "Disappointed with Gurkha" thread.
    FNA:
    Well, considering that within 2 hours of the OP's first posting here, he was told that he was wrong to post a complaint and called a troll, he might not have wanted to return. I don't get the board complaints. New consumer buys something from a seller that has a comments section. Buyer is dissatisified, goes to comment board to complain. Whoa, outrageous, right?
    It's not outrageous in and of itself. But the fact that it is that user's one and only post makes him seem like a troll to a lot of users on this forum. You could be right that his poor reception turned him away, but it's one thing to be a member of the forum because you enjoy the discussion and another thing to sign up for forums just to voice your complaints when you didn't care for any of the forum discussion up to that point.

I was even called a troll since my post count isn't in the thousands and I chimed in on an ongoing conversation that was mostly anti-Gurkha.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Aficionado_de_Perfectos:
    Amos Umwhat:

Good line there.

On another note, discrediting someone's opinion right away just because they are new to the forum hinders the growth of the community since a lot of users will be turned off by their reception, just like the user who posted the misspelled "Disappointed with Gurkha" thread.
    FNA:
    Well, considering that within 2 hours of the OP's first posting here, he was told that he was wrong to post a complaint and called a troll, he might not have wanted to return. I don't get the board complaints. New consumer buys something from a seller that has a comments section. Buyer is dissatisified, goes to comment board to complain. Whoa, outrageous, right?
    It's not outrageous in and of itself. But the fact that it is that user's one and only post makes him seem like a troll to a lot of users on this forum. You could be right that his poor reception turned him away, but it's one thing to be a member of the forum because you enjoy the discussion and another thing to sign up for forums just to voice your complaints when you didn't care for any of the forum discussion up to that point.

I was even called a troll since my post count isn't in the thousands and I chimed in on an ongoing conversation that was mostly anti-Gurkha.
    I don't see the problem here, I'm proud to be a troll...

Most of what you wrote on your first few posts was negative from what I saw. Most of what I write is negative too. I didn't think you were a troll, exactly, but a bit...curmudgeonly? Not that it's a bad thing, but you can't be surprised when it turns a few readers off either.

Maybe most importantly, the major difference between your posts and the one-hit-blunder who couldn't spell is that HE attacked the site for selling/promoting cigars. I don't attack a bar because they run a promo on Coors Lite even though that stuff tastes like @$$ infested water. And I certainly wouldn't attack the site hosting the board I was posting on for their promo.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Aficionado_de_Perfectos:
    Not sure where the troll thing came from. I mean, AdP even used the search function instead of starting a new thread - you guys hate when new posters don't do that! lol Hating on Gurkhas is pretty much the thing to do around here and I though Adp had an interesting well thought out point. So, welcome and stick around....and read my sig line below. It's true!

Back to the Park Ave discussion - for those that didn't like it was it ROTT or did it have a little rest? I've found that they seem a little better with about 6-12 months rest, although I'd say that about most sticks anyway IMO. I haven't had one in a while to be honest, so the blend could have even changed some - I wouldn't put that past Gurkha at all.
  • Options
    FNAFNA Posts: 55
    So where are all you guys, a couple of whom think the Symphony is one of the two best Connecticut wrapped cigars on the market, when people are saying gurkhas are garbage?
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    FNA:
    So where are all you guys, a couple of whom think the Symphony is one of the two best Connecticut wrapped cigars on the market, when people are saying gurkhas are garbage?
    I like Chicken McNuggets, but I don't claim McDonald's as a whole has anything but crap food. It is the same with Gurkha, they have a couple blends I like, but most of their stuff is overhyped, overpriced, and of lower quality. Excepting the frankly awesome boxes the cigars come in. Also, at the end of the day, most of the dislike, at least on my end, is less with the flavors of the blends themselves than the quality control overall. Cigars at this price point shouldn't be a coin flip for getting an exploding cigar.

(Damn, why do all my analogies go back to fast food lately? Apparently, I am a gluttonous SOB.)
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    Maybe most importantly, the major difference between your posts and the one-hit-blunder who couldn't spell is that HE attacked the site for selling/promoting cigars. I don't attack a bar because they run a promo on Coors Lite even though that stuff tastes like @$$ infested water. And I certainly wouldn't attack the site hosting the board I was posting on for their promo.
    Good point. That was a good analogy to show exactly what's wrong with the user who did a one and out.

Heavy:
    Not sure where the troll thing came from. I mean, AdP even used the search function instead of starting a new thread - you guys hate when new posters don't do that! lol Hating on Gurkhas is pretty much the thing to do around here and I though Adp had an interesting well thought out point. So, welcome and stick around....and read my sig line below. It's true!

Back to the Park Ave discussion - for those that didn't like it was it ROTT or did it have a little rest? I've found that they seem a little better with about 6-12 months rest, although I'd say that about most sticks anyway IMO. I haven't had one in a while to be honest, so the blend could have even changed some - I wouldn't put that past Gurkha at all.
    I guess Lee.mcglynn is just assinine and discounts an opinion if it comes from someone who doesn't have 3000+ posts like he does. That's some great reasoning.

You raise an important point, Heavy. Since Gurkha is known to be inconsistent even within the same line, we could have smoked completely different "Park Avenue" sticks.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    What is the general consensus on the Connecticut? I had one in my humidor for a couple of months now