Home General Discussion
Options

Dry cigar?

Hey guys, So I lit up a Don Diego this morning and couldn't finish smoking it. The one I had last night was ok and had good flavor. Basically, the wrapper on these cigars is really dry and the wrapper on the one I smoked this morning was actually cracking at the top. Is there a reason for this? This box of cigars was purchased on Friday evening. All of the cigars were in celophane and are still in their celophane and resting in my humidor at between 70 and 73% humidity and around 69 or 70 degrees.

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the splitting is probably from the humidor being above 70%.

it isnt too dry. its too wet. you light the cigar and the heat causes the extra humidity to steam and expand, cracking the wrapper.
    similar things happen in the summer when the humidity is through the roof. the outside air hits the wrapper and it soaks it all up. you smoke and the heat causes it to split.

usually the wrapper will not split if it is too dry. It will usually flake, or just have a bitter harsh taste to the smoke.

the cellophane doenst make a lick of difference if its on or not.

yeah... get your RH down to 65-70 and you shouldnt have too many problems.

if you got the box online they have a tendency to be a tad over humidified as well. give them rest time in the humidor (if you can. )
  • Options
    ShawnJShawnJ Posts: 65
    Thanks Kuzi. Basically, the wrapper at the top right under where you put your mouth was cracked and peeling. The flavor wasn't too bad, but it wasn't as good as the one I had last night. It just didn't taste "fresh" if that makes sense. I checked the humidor a minute ago and it was at 73% and 69 degrees. I took out one of the humidifiers ( I had 2 in there ). I'll see what happens. Question : if the celophane doesn't make a difference, can I just take it off of all my cigars?
  • Options
    JKTexJKTex Posts: 92
    ShawnJ:
    Thanks Kuzi. Basically, the wrapper at the top right under where you put your mouth was cracked and peeling. The flavor wasn't too bad, but it wasn't as good as the one I had last night. It just didn't taste "fresh" if that makes sense. I checked the humidor a minute ago and it was at 73% and 69 degrees. I took out one of the humidifiers ( I had 2 in there ). I'll see what happens. Question : if the celophane doesn't make a difference, can I just take it off of all my cigars?

I'm fighting my humi down from about the same place yours is.  I've had 1 stick that was awesome and one that when I punched it, it split like that.  Smoking it didn't cause mine.

Once I get my humi down to 70% or less, if I can't maintain it there, I may try beads.  But I really soaked the humidifier and when tested as it started coming down last week, it was still pretty wet so I know I can let it go much longer and just watch the humidity.

As fr celo, it's an age old question.  The answer you'll get 99% of the time is, it's personal preference, but the common practice is to store them as you get them.  I've done both depending on my mood that day.  I prefer the naked look so everything on top is usually celo off.

• Options
    ShawnJ:
    Question : if the celophane doesn't make a difference, can I just take it off of all my cigars?
    if you want.

question:
    its cracked at the cap?
    and
    How are you cutting them?
  • Options
    It was cracked a little bit below the cap. I try not to take too much off when I cut - I'm just using an inexpensive cutter. Sometimes I think I take too much off. But it hasn't really affected the taste. Don Diego is just an extremely mild cigar in general. They don't tend to be bursting with flavor.
  • Options
    is it a punch or a guillotine or v-cut>
    and
    did the crack extend to under the cap?
  • Options
    Guillotine. I don't think the crack extended to under the cap. It was just one little area. That's why I thought the cigar was too dry. But this particular cigar seems to have a very dry wrapper. No oils to be seen whatsoever.
  • Options
    ok since the crack was not extending to the cap the cut was not the culprit. i still dont think that the cigar was dry. I think it was wet.

unless this is summer for you right now. that would change everything.