Home General Discussion

Size matters?

Hear is a questions I see discussed but I can't find anything solid.

I have quite a few sticks in my humi., most of which are toro's but I'm filling with smaller robusto's as most of my smoke time is not 1-2 hours at a shot.

A good robusto, RP '90 for example, is a good 1 hour smoke.

Most of the time here at home, I have 30 minutes maybe of "me" time out back.  I've thought about picking up some perfecto's or petit corona's in the same stick's I like, for every day 30ish minute smokes.

The question is, how much difference, and what kind of difference is there or should there be in the same cigar from a larger more common size, to a smaller not so common size.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i would never wanna rush a cigar. ... but thats me. 30 minutes will not relax me.

as far as flavor goes... click on the link in my signature "blending 101" and go to the top of the second page. that will give a mathematical view of it. from there its just preference.

id advize little cigars like the 5 vegas shorty (though im not a fan) or the Gurkha tins or Cohiba tins. I never could smoke a shorty in under 45 minutes though. ... but i smoke slow.
  • kuzi16:
    i would never wanna rush a cigar. ... but thats me. 30 minutes will not relax me.

as far as flavor goes... click on the link in my signature "blending 101" and go to the top of the second page. that will give a mathematical view of it. from there its just preference.

id advize little cigars like the 5 vegas shorty (though im not a fan) or the Gurkha tins or Cohiba tins. I never could smoke a shorty in under 45 minutes though. ... but i smoke slow.
    Found a cigar I LOVE, went back and bought a sampler of one of each size
    How would you go about deciding the best size for a brand/blend. and would this be a good guideline against other brands?
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    It's just not in my DNA to do any one thing for more than an hour...it's just not relaxing to me...so I usually go robusto which puts me at about an hour. During that time, I like to have a few beers or whiskey or whatever. And I sit on my porch and yell at people to get off my lawn. If I have a churchill or something, I'm usually going bonkers after about an hour.

I have that issue though, robusto is the smallest sized smoke I usually have, so if I only have 30 min or so, I just end up snuffing em early, which makes me sad.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Luko, ( on the second floor).. you gotta take a little more time then.. If you are rushing your cigars, you are missing the point of smoking them.. Let the kids run on your lawn too.. no need to stress over that small stuff. Frankie says.. " Relax "
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Luko:
    It's just not in my DNA to do any one thing for more than an hour...it's just not relaxing to me...so I usually go robusto which puts me at about an hour. During that time, I like to have a few beers or whiskey or whatever. And I sit on my porch and yell at people to get off my lawn. If I have a churchill or something, I'm usually going bonkers after about an hour.

I have that issue though, robusto is the smallest sized smoke I usually have, so if I only have 30 min or so, I just end up snuffing em early, which makes me sad.
    You should get a BB gun! lol
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Luko:

Don't listen to squirrel, Man -O-Peace, not Man-0-War
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    mustluvcigars:
    kuzi16:

Found a cigar I LOVE, went back and bought a sampler of one of each size
    How would you go about deciding the best size for a brand/blend. and would this be a good guideline against other brands?
    for me, i just go with whatever tastes best. best stick for any moment is the one that jumps out at me when i open up the humidor. if time is an issue i go shorter. Usually it is not. I tend to smoke when i have nothing to do for hours on end.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    As far as size, here's how I usually do it. When I smoke something I really like, I try to discern (guess?) whether what I liked most was derived from the wrapper and binder, or the filler. If I think it's the wrapper/filler, I will usually highlight the size on my spreadsheet with the smallest ring. Otherwise, I'll go for the largest ring. When I've had that one, I will compare the experience to the previous one, and modify accordingly.

As an example, I loved the Camacho 1962 robusto. I figured this was a result of the wrapper, so I wanted to try the churchill or corona. I got a churchill, and found I loved it, but not quite as much as the robusto. So I figured I'd try the torpedo to maximize the ring size. This was, again, excellent, but still not as good as the robusto. Obviously, my plan is flawed somewhere :)

I really want to get my hands on the perfecto. And I definitely will grab some more robustos to see if they are as spectacular as my first. They've all been great, but the robusto was one of the most amazing smokes I've had. So, I guess, to answer your question -- try them all :)
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    phobicsquirrel:
    Luko:

And nothing says ridiculously awesome cankerous dude screaming at young kids like a BB minigun image
  • Well that is I bought theem for, thanks for the input guys,, brb, gotta go get one:)
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    dutyje:
    As far as size, here's how I usually do it. When I smoke something I really like, I try to discern (guess?) whether what I liked most was derived from the wrapper and binder, or the filler. If I think it's the wrapper/filler, I will usually highlight the size on my spreadsheet with the smallest ring. Otherwise, I'll go for the largest ring. When I've had that one, I will compare the experience to the previous one, and modify accordingly.

As an example, I loved the Camacho 1962 robusto. I figured this was a result of the wrapper, so I wanted to try the churchill or corona. I got a churchill, and found I loved it, but not quite as much as the robusto. So I figured I'd try the torpedo to maximize the ring size. This was, again, excellent, but still not as good as the robusto. Obviously, my plan is flawed somewhere :)

I really want to get my hands on the perfecto. And I definitely will grab some more robustos to see if they are as spectacular as my first. They've all been great, but the robusto was one of the most amazing smokes I've had. So, I guess, to answer your question -- try them all :)
    Take this with half a grain of salt, as I'm not the biggest fan of the 1962. Of the Churchill, torpedo and perfecto, I thought the perfecto was the best. As far as a ranking, I thought the Churchill was better than the torpedo, the latter came off as boring to me.
    So Garen...you're tennies are pretty white in that picture of you posing with the minigun.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Luko:
    Your problem is plain enough. Dr. Urbino prescribes a quicker pace with the liquor.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    your rankings match mine on the 1962, Jozer.... minus the perfecto, of course. I was really excited about the torpedo, and while I thought it was excellent, I'd agree it became rather boring. None of these struck me as particularly complex... just a good flavor.
    Good flavor, yes. They just seem to lack a little, as the french say...I don't know what. :) Perhaps it is the complexity as you noted, though that has never been a particular stumbling block for me so long as the flavor is good.
    I agree they aren't complex. There's something about the perfecto, specifically, though, that just seems to always work for me. And, somehow, even if I smoke one right after another cigar, it always tastes exactly like a Camacho 1962 perfecto. In fact, they're excellent palate-cleanser cigars.
    I think the perfecto is, for lack of a better word, perfect because it doesn't last long enough to be considered boring. Plus the tapered ends introduce a bit more complexity than a parejo or single taper shape. By george, I think I've got it!
    Well done, Liza.
    kaspera79:
    Luko, ( on the second floor).. you gotta take a little more time then.. If you are rushing your cigars, you are missing the point of smoking them.. Let the kids run on your lawn too.. no need to stress over that small stuff. Frankie says.. " Relax "
    You make a good point Kasper...but then again, I really, really enjoy that hour or so with a cigar and a couple of drinks or whatever, but at a certain point, it stops being enjoyable and I start thinking about all the other shiznit I need to get to. I mean, I have a family to support and kids to raise.
    Luko:
    I mean, I have a family to support and kids to raise.
    See, that's where you went wrong.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    nice pic Garen... =)