Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Life's strange twists and turns.

Hey my extended ccom family.
I have been dealing with a lot as of late so I need some prayers.
I always like to share my 2 year old sons milestones with you all, but as of late life has been trying. To set the stage my father works with me and I am his boss, we get along great.

The Sunday before Thanksgiving my Gramps (Paternal) was driving home from visiting my grandma who had been in Alzheimer’s care for about a year, well he turned on his heater in his car when it exploded.
My Gramps is 88 and apparently he had placed a gas can in the trunk but it was unsecured, well it fell over and leaked into the trunk carpet and seeped into the carpet under the rear seat. The car heater ignited the fumes and caused a flashover. My Gramps received 3rd degree burns on the backs of his hands and on his ears, 2nd degree on his palms, arms and face. He lost all of his hair and his eyebrows.
The people in the car behind him pulled him out and called 911, my Gramps was rushed to emergency burn care and spent 3 days there until they released him.

My father started taking care of him on Thanksgiving and had to change his dressings and bathe him, feed him etc.
This of course left my Dad unable to work, so his work fell to me. The past couple of weeks I have put in 120+ hours to catch up on both of our work.

Friday the 2nd I got a call from my Father, that my grandmother had been taken to the emergency room because her core temp was 83 degrees, well it turns out her kidneys were shutting down. The 4th they decided to put her in hospice care and told Gramps he could stay with her except that they couldn’t tend to his burns, so that was not an option. I got a call on the 6th at 7:20AM from my father that my grandma had passed.

Saturday my father and I had to go clean out grandma’s room at the Alzheimer’s facility, and Sunday the 11 would have been her Birthday she would have been 87. If grandma had made it to 22 Jan 2012 she and Gramps would have had their 68th wedding anniversary.

I know grandma now at least has all her faculties and is finally whole again in mind and spirit.
My Gramps is almost healed and is in good spirits.

I celebrated my Gramps healing and my grandmother's life with a MOW Special Edition tonight and remembered all the good times.

Thanks for letting my be cathartic. I appreciate all of you and the stories, information and sticks we all share.

-John

Comments

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Truly sorry brother to hear Of all the sadness in your life lately. It sounds like you have a close family brother and now you can take comfort in the fact that her pain and suffering has ended and shes moved on to a better place. Hope your Gramps continues to heal welland that hes able to deal with loss of his love.my prayers with you and your family.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I'm really sorry to hear this brother! I'll def be keeping you and your family in my prayers. Don't hesitate to let me know if you need anything
  • Options
    e6specialke6specialk Posts: 216
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family brother. Stay strong and you're right about us being family. We are all here if you need to talk some more.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    That's heavy, brother. It sounds as though your family is well rooted, though, and that will help more than can be measured. You and yours will be in my prayers, my friend.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, you know it is a lot of stuff to deal with. I am sorry for your loss and am praying for your family.
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    Sorry to hear it man! Thats a rough time to go thru! We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
  • Options
    PDWIGSPDWIGS Posts: 82
    Sorry to hear about your loss.... Keep the faith,things will get better soon.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm very sorry for your loss and for the tribulations that have entered your life. You can take comfort, though, from the fact that you've had the strength to deal with it all and that you have a lot of BOTL's and SOTL's who care for you and support you. Hang in, my friend. We're praying for you.
  • Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Sorry John, Seems like a lot of hurt going on lately. Wishing you and your family the best.
  • Options
    TeegeTeege Posts: 660
    Sorry to hear of your loss and difficulties you and your family will be in our prayers.
  • Options
    OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    I'm so sorry for your heart breaking situaution brother. You and your family will be in my prayers.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    So sorry to hear about all of this brother. Prayers are with you and your family. Sounds like you are being a strong man for your family which is incredible and I know it means everything to them. Let us know if we can help you in any way.
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    Thank you all for your words of comfort and encouragement, they mean more than you will ever know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    John, I'm sorry to hear how things have been. I'm sorry about your loss and please accept my condolences. I hope the cherished memories provide some comfort for you and your family. Almost 68 years of marriage is incredible.