Home Cigar 101
Options

Another cigar noob

Hello to all! I recently started smoking cigars after ten years. The last time I smoked a cigar I was 18 and in Cancun, Mexico and was too drunk to remember what I was smoking. Anyways I bought some of the sol cubano Connecticut churchills and some of the 5 vegas miami's and a humidor. I'm leaning toward the vegas's. I've had 4 of the sol cubano's and 2 of the vegas so far. Where should I go next?

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    5 Vegas Classic and Gold, Oliva Serie G cameroon, Perdomo ESV '91 Connecticut, Fuentes, Ashtons, La Aurora, Padron, La Gloria Cubana...the list is pretty well endless. The ones I listed are good ones to look into though, at least as far as my tastes are concerned.
  • Options
    So how do the sol cubanos rank in comparison, I bought a box of them because I was gung ho about getting back into it, but I don't know if I should give some away and try more or keep them. I'm smoking a vegas right now and it's really too cold to be doing so! Wish I was in Miami!!!
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I don't remember anything specifically about the Connecticut, but Sol Cubanos have generally gotten rave reviews, here.

Welcome aboard, Marshall.
  • Options
    Cool. Thanks urbano! I feel better about my purchase! I'm still torn between the two, any one's that will send me over the edge ? By the way it's 42 degrees here and I can't feel my fingers or toes, but I'm still smoking to try to decide!
  • Options
    It seems like the cubano draws better even though I cut them both equally with scissors as I don't have a guillotine. I don't know though as I am new to this
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    You're so urbane, you probably thought this thread was about you.
  • Options
    It's really hard to go wrong with either Sol Cubano or 5 Vegas, Marshall. They both make excellent cigars, and all of them are absolute bargains. I like the 5 Vegas Classic a lot, personally, and their Series A is great, too.
    Luko:
    You're so urbane, you probably thought this thread was about you.
    Don't you have an orthodontics appointment you need to get to?
  • Options
    Thanks for all the hospitality on this forum. I love the inside jokes between you all! So which cigar should I try next? What other brands should I try? I am looking at either the God of fire or the Gurkha Titan I or II for a birthday smoke coming up in a little over a month.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    If you are going with a Gurkha, I'd reccomend the Regent or the Centurian. I haven't had the Centurians, but everyone here seems to hold them in pretty high regard. I really dig he Regents, to quote another member here, when I smoked it I thought I had found the Holy Grail, lol.

As far as what to try next, grab a couple of samplers. here are samplers based on body, shape, wrapper, country of origin, brands, tastes, pretty much anything you can imagine. I'd say go with the Mild, Medium, and Full body samplers here on cigar.com. Between those three you are covering a really wide range of cigar types, and that should help you hone in on what you prefer.
  • Options

So what did you like about the regents? Also I've noticed that some of the different cigar shapes are really pointed at the cap. How do you cut them compared to the rounded caps and how do different sizes and shapes affect the taste?

• Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Might be the first guy on the board to not like Sol Cubanos, had a few in a create a sampler from here and had tunneling issues, weird flavors and shoddy construction. Only one I liked out of them was the Sumatra, wasn't overly impressed, but wouldn't turn it down if I was offered one.

Love 5 Vegas, and am starting to really love anything put out by the Oliva brand, especially Nubs.

As to you question on cutting the pointed caps (Most likely a torpedo), look at how far the cap goes down, cut them so that you still have a pointed shape to them i.e. Don't cut it so that it looks like a regular cigar. Remember its better to cut short and have to cut a little off than to cut too much and have the thing unravel on you.

P.S. Running on about 5 hours of sleep for the past 48 hours so if it doesn't make sense...you know what, I'm too tired to figure out what I wanted to put here, I'm heading to bed.
  • Options
    Sol Cubano is an Oliva brand.
  • Options
    And speaking of Sol Cubano, I've only ever had one experience that was less than satisfying and that was a Cuban Cabinet that just would not burn. Aside from that, my experiences with that brand have been glowing. I've got this hunch that Oliva cannot make a bad cigar, I've sampled almost everything they make and have liked them all.
  • Options
    I haven't had an MB3 (or any MB, for that matter), but I recently added a sampler of them to the humi. My fave is still the Special S.
  • Options
    I had forgotten about that one...The Special S was one that didn't thrill me, although I must admit the tight draw didn't help it to wow me. I've been meaning to give it another go, the little flavor I was able to get was good enough to merit a second try.
  • Options
    I've smoked several of them -- all diademas -- and enjoyed them all. Which vitola do you have?
  • Options
    The diadema. It was either rolled too tightly or over humidified, trying to get a decent puff of smoke was damn near impossible. The flavor was good though, I just got so little of it.
  • Options
    Huh. That's a damn shame, as spendy as those are.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Learn something everyday, I guess I don't like everything that Oliva puts out, may have changed though, it has been almost a year since I have had a Sol Cubano. Stinking budget won't allow for cigar purchases for a while though.
  • Options
    So I'm standing over the grill smoking a sol cubano Cuban cabinet. It's pretty close to the connecticut as much as I can tell. I really like them