Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Holster question

LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
I'm looking for some advice from my gun toting botls. Need a hip holster for a ruger gp100 .357 with 6 inch barrel. I'd really appreciate any advice as far best manufacturers, sites to check out, etc. I'm not sure whether leather or nylon is the way to go. This is for knocking around in the woods, not everyday carry and use.

Comments

• Options
    Bucking_WBucking_W Posts: 208 ✭✭
    I'm a LEO, I'll tell you if your going roughing it you need leather. I used nylon during my patrol years and it wore out quickly and got that fuzzy look, leather of course will get scars but it hold up forever. I would look at GT Distributors, or Gall's who both have a nice selection of rigs.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Luko:
    I'm looking for some advice from my gun toting botls. Need a hip holster for a ruger gp100 .357 with 6 inch barrel. I'd really appreciate any advice as far best manufacturers, sites to check out, etc. I'm not sure whether leather or nylon is the way to go. This is for knocking around in the woods, not everyday carry and use.
    I've got that same gun, and it lives in a used Police issue black leather holster I got out of a bargain bin for $15 at a local gun shop. If you know any Law Enforcement types, they may have access to something that is no longer in use.
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I carry a .40 everyday using a Galco horsehide. I find Galco to be awesome, durable and comfortable.
  • Options
    I carried the same gun in a "Simply Rugged" Sourdough Pancake Holster. It's leather and very usable. Check them out at www.simplyrugged.com.
  • Options
    greg2648greg2648 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
    I like Galco leather.
  • Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Question as I don't know the laws in PA.....concealed or not? In my opinion it makes a huge difference.
  • Options
    Bombay:
    Question as I don't know the laws in PA.....concealed or not? In my opinion it makes a huge difference.
    Thanks gentlemen, for your advice. To answer your question, yes, where I live in PA, all permits are for conceal carry.
  • Options
    Bombay:
    Thanks gentlemen, for your advice. To answer your question, yes, where I live in PA, all permits are for conceal carry.
  • Options
    Bombay:
    Thanks gentlemen for your advice so far. To answer your question, yes, where I live in PA all permits are concealed carry.
  • Options
    If there's a Buds Gun Shop close by, you might want to check there. That's where I got my holster.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Actually, the PA permit is a "License to Carry Firearms". (Got mine right here). Pennsylvania is an Open Carry state, with the exception of a few jurisdictions. So the choice is yours.

I've never been a big fan of nylon holsters, they tend to be universal types that don't fit or secure the gun that well. I use leather or kydex depending on the application. Be sure not to store your gun in a leather holster, it cause rust eventually
  • Options
    Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Not trying to hijack the thread but I just finished my concealed carry class. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a concealed carry weapon. I am looking at the Ruger LCP .380
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    380's are nice..can do the job ,light, and not intrusive whereever you holster it
  • Options
    Lakota72:
    Not trying to hijack the thread but I just finished my concealed carry class. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a concealed carry weapon. I am looking at the Ruger LCP .380
    Check out the Ruger LC9, or the Ruger SP101, or the S&W Bodyguard 380 or 38
  • Options
    Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    I am familiar with the Body Guard. I am not too sure that I want a double action revolver.
  • Options
    Lakota72:
    I am familiar with the Body Guard. I am not too sure that I want a double action revolver.
    More than anything, it depends on how comfortably the gun fits in your hand, and how comfortable it will be to carry.