Home Non Cigar Related
Options

IT help please

Hey borks, I'm working on transfering a website from one server to another and my IT guys don't know MySql. I need to find the Username and Password to my database for the wordpress config file but I don't know how. Can anyone help, please?

Comments

• Options
    Its most likely not going to be in plain text anywhere, most likely in some kind of one way hash. Do you happen to know the version of wordpress?
  • Options
    MephistoMephisto Posts: 508
    It's 3.2.1
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Mephisto:
    Hey borks, I'm working on transfering a website from one server to another and my IT guys don't know MySql. I need to find the Username and Password to my database for the wordpress config file but I don't know how. Can anyone help, please?
    you should fire your IT guys.
  • Options
    ScottCScottC Posts: 38
    This should work http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress

But if you don't know your un and psw it might get tricky. Do you have access to your server's c-panel or is that what you are missing? If you are missing it you could contact your hosting company's CS and they should be able to grant you access.
  • Options
    From a quick glance it looks like you are SOL at extracting a DB password from wordpress.

Sorry to bring the bad news.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Mephisto:
    you should fire your IT guys.
    Wow, just because they don't know something they should be fired? That's quite harsh. I'll be the first to admit I don't know something but do I deserve to lose my job over it? I'm probably overreacting but I think that statement really made you look like an ass.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    That's really my fault...err...my organization's fault. The IT guys work for the university and we didn't know we'd be throwing them a curve with wordpress/mysql. In their defense, they've been helpful and did set everything up. Well, they just set up an account for the UN/PW I asked for help about earlier. And this is definitely my fault. I'd been asking the wrong person. Sadly, I have another problem. Now Wordpress won't let me access the admin page.
  • Options
    djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
    Mephisto:

If you are moving Word Press to another server, You don't need the SQL password. Go into WordPress > Tools > Export > All Data. Bring your new site up and install your Theme and Go to tools > Import > Select the datafile and boom your site has been moved. I have moved tons of wordpress sites before and this is what we do. It's the most quickest way for WordPress.
  • Options
    Wow, that sounds a lot easier than what I did (was told to do). I'll give it a try as soon as I can access my wordpress admin page. I get an error page after sign in on the new server. Any ideas?
  • Options
    djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
    Not sure, what error? Want to PM me your info and I can look at it for you.
  • Options
    pm sent!