Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Hookah

deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
So I got some hookah tobacco for xmas from my SS. Turns out my buddy Bubba (on forums) has one, so we are going to test it out, but wanted to see if anyone smokes one and if they have any hints...only time I used one was for completely diff. reasons.

Comments

• Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    That's the only reason I've ever used one lol
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    While I was in the Middle-East, there was a couple of us that got invited over to the smoking tents. After taking some notes, I picked on up and would bring over my hookah to share with them. They were very friendly guys and always was curtious. First you'll need to get some hookah charcoal. Break a little piece off and light it. Let it burn for a second and blow out any flame. Once there is a nice cherry, you can set your tobacco right on top and puff. I've also seen the guys put the tobacco in first, then put the charcoal on top. Light the charcoal, let it burn for a bit then blow out any flames and puff to light the tobacco. They mostly had the flavored stuff so it wasn't for me. I was just nice to get away from work and make some new friends in a foreign country. Customs ended up confiscating my hookah cause it was used.
  • Options
    well we fired up the hookah last night and it was interesting, the bowl was a little leaky and we couldn't get the tobacco to burn well, but we touched it with a torch and got it burning and were able to get some good pulls off it. Found out there is a hookah lounge here, so we may go try that out.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds cool but look out you may find a new addiction/hobby
  • Options
    wife already seen the look in my eye and said "one thing at a time now" lol
  • Options
    Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Dont torch the hookah. Lighly sprinkle some sheesha in the bowl making sure there is not spots the will clog it up. Fill it to just about the top and use a piece of tin foil on top and poke about 15-20 holes in there with a paper clip. Use a hookah coal you can get the real stuff but the disc ones are easy to find and work great. Light it with a torch while holding it with tongs and then put it on top. For the first 10 mins or so you won't get much of anything but shortly there after you you will get hugh clouds of smoke. Feel free to post any other questions.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I was speaking to my local cigar bar owner. He said some people asked if they could bring one in to smoke and he said no. He said the sheesha was tobacco mixed with all kinds of other stuff like honey, other herbs etc. Is that true? He didn't let them smoke it in there simply becuase of the smell, thought it would offend his cigar customers etc. Same reason he doesn't allow cigarette smoking.
  • Options
    ScottCScottC Posts: 38
    I would suggest taking a few days off from cigars before trying the hookah or else you will feel like something is lacking. It is not that it is lacking (because its definitely not) but the smoke is very light compared to cigar smoke. This obviously varies depending the shisha you are smoking but from my experience it is very hard to get the full experience of shisha when I've recently smoked cigars.
  • Options
    didnt really torch the hookah, hit the coals on top of the tinfoil. Yes shisha is mixed with oils and what not to give it flavors, the smoke is easy and u do not feel it, but I would not say it is light as I got clouds of thick creamy smoke that looked like I just took a gravity hit. I think I may try to get to the hookah bar here and give it a go and get some lessons from the owner. I see some of the diff. types of shisha have nicotine and some do not, no tar and etc. Flavors from Black Licorice to Honey, I am highly curious by it and can see that it could become a part of my relax time.
  • Options
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    Very nice! Its all shiny and new looking!
  • Options
    The_buffalonianThe_buffalonian Posts: 987 ✭✭✭
    i was wondering if anyone is into shisha? image
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I've tried it at our local taco mac by work. Every friday there is a hookah guy that comes in there and sells them for $10...sets it up for you, keeps it lit, refills..etc. It was different than a cigar. Very different experience. Probably wouldn't try it again though, just not big into infused stuff.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    The_buffalonianThe_buffalonian Posts: 987 ✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    I've tried it at our local taco mac by work. Every friday there is a hookah guy that comes in there and sells them for $10...sets it up for you, keeps it lit, refills..etc. It was different than a cigar. Very different experience. Probably wouldn't try it again though, just not big into infused stuff.
    Yeah its 100% different and there is alot of flavors but i prefer the pipe tobacco flavored ones
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Necro thread. Wife and I got a hookah tried it for a week and ordered another one. I could really get into this if the tobacco tasted more like tobacco and less like fruit roll ups.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those things look kinda' top heavy. I'd probably be like like Peter Sellers in one of those Pink Panther movies and go nuts spilling that thing all over the place.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibal:
    Necro thread. Wife and I got a hookah tried it for a week and ordered another one. I could really get into this if the tobacco tasted more like tobacco and less like fruit roll ups.
    you can get non flavored, just look up authentic egyptian shisha as they typically smoked non flavored, and if it was flavored it is much lighter. The flavoring has been beefed up for the "i want more" american way.