Home General Discussion
Options

Limited selection???

I'm bot complaining, just curious......I've got to try several types of cigars now. Most were good but I keep goin back to my favorites.....Oliva 0 & Sol Cubano Artisan...also like the Rocky Patel Vintage 90 & 92 ...Gurkha Centurian is also good. But in the end, I keep going back to the Oliva 0 and Sol Cubano Artisan. Mainly the Oliva 0 due to robusto size is perfect......what would y'all recommend to be similar to these? I'm not complaining cause the Olive 0 is amazing to me, but is it bad that I would rather have a humidor mostly full of only 1 or 2 types of cigar rather than having several??? I still got some more to try, but in the end, I keep going back to my favorite.. or does ur taste change over time making u desire more or something different???

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    its your money and ultimately your cigar collection. do what you want. it doesnt make you that strange. i know people that buy one brand, line, and size of cigar only. this hobby is about what makes you happy.

im not a big fan of the O (though i have been meaning to give it a shot again) or the Sol Cubano Artisan so im not sure i can give you good advice. i mean, what am i gunna say? "these cigars suck too, you might like em..."

• Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    jkallen83:
    I'm bot complaining, just curious......I've got to try several types of cigars now. Most were good but I keep goin back to my favorites.....Oliva 0 & Sol Cubano Artisan...also like the Rocky Patel Vintage 90 & 92 ...Gurkha Centurian is also good. But in the end, I keep going back to the Oliva 0 and Sol Cubano Artisan. Mainly the Oliva 0 due to robusto size is perfect......what would y'all recommend to be similar to these? I'm not complaining cause the Olive 0 is amazing to me, but is it bad that I would rather have a humidor mostly full of only 1 or 2 types of cigar rather than having several??? I still got some more to try, but in the end, I keep going back to my favorite.. or does ur taste change over time making u desire more or something different???
    Actually, when I began my cigar sojurn, the "O" was a staple, and a favorite. They've got good flavor, they hold an ash for a very long time (try the perfecto), and they are relatively inexpensive. I still like 'em, and will have one occasionally. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with having one or two "mainstay favorites". If you're looking for something similar, try a Perdomo Habano, or a Casa Torano, or the Torano "gold lable".
  • Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    jkallen83:

I wouldn't say my tastes have really changed over the past year, but I would say they've been refined. I'm more or less at that, "I know what I like", period of cigar smoking. I got a list of smokes that I know I really like and those are the ones I spurge on and buy boxes. I will always continue trying new brands and blends, though. If you love Oliva O's and SC Artisans, than I say stock up. That way you always got those standbys that you know you're going to enjoy.
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I have to agree with y2pascoe! Stock up on the ones you like! I really enjoy the La Perla Habana Rojo. Cheap stick and I get them for about a dollar a stick so I'm set. I find myself leaning toward smoking those over new sticks. I know what I like but trying new things is always great! I buy boxes of the LPH and 5 or 10 pks of the new sticks. There has been a couple other cigars that I've bought boxes. I like to have a couple boxes of every day cigars and mix it up with new cigars.
  • Options
    I mainly stick to Ccom Cuban label house blends as a daily smoke.... Robustos only!!! Call me strange , they suit my Tastes !
  • Options
    jkallen83jkallen83 Posts: 142
    AJGARLETT:
    I mainly stick to Ccom Cuban label house blends as a daily smoke.... Robustos only!!! Call me strange , they suit my Tastes !
    I bought a single. Ccom blue label robusto and it wasn't bad at all. Probably will get more of those...
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    y2pascoe:
    jkallen83:

I wouldn't say my tastes have really changed over the past year, but I would say they've been refined. I'm more or less at that, "I know what I like", period of cigar smoking. I got a list of smokes that I know I really like and those are the ones I spurge on and buy boxes. I will always continue trying new brands and blends, though. If you love Oliva O's and SC Artisans, than I say stock up. That way you always got those standbys that you know you're going to enjoy.
    Well said. I think we all have at least a corner of our storage space put aside for a particular favorite brand or stick. As your tastes want new experiences try something new. If they remain satisfied with what you are presenting them... be happy. This hobby is all about relaxing and enjoyment. There are NO RULES. If it makes you happy... you are doing it right.
  • Options
    dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    For a long time I would do the same...stick with just a few boxes of sticks in the humi. A while back though I really changed up things and started trying a lot of new sticks. Now I have a much more developed palate and some amazing sticks. Oh and I also still have some of the old favorites in there as well. They still rock...Sancho Panza double maduros btw were the old favorite.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    laker1963:
    This hobby is all about relaxing and enjoyment. There are NO RULES. If it makes you happy... you are doing it right.
    +1 - you're not gonna find better advice than this. If Oliva O's and SC Artisans make you happy, then thats what you should be smoking at this particular time - nothing wrong with making those the mainstays of your collection at all.

Much like WHAT you smoke should be all about what makes you happy as an individual, HOW you smoke will be an individual journey as well. You may smoke the two cigars you mentioned day-in and day-out for years and years and NEVER get tired of them. You may get to a point that you're just burned out on em and cant bear to so much as look at one, and that may last for a week or a lifetime. You may go thru periods where all you want to smoke is the fullest bodied smokes you can get your hands on, and you may go thru periods of wanting nothing but milds.