Home Cigar 101
Options

Analogs, bowls of water, and glass tops

Greetings ladies and gents,

First post and fairly new to the boards.  I've learned alot from the posts, especially dealing with humidors.  I recently scored a great glass top humidor and will be upgrading to this 100 count.  I had a few questions from some of the things discussed.

1)  Once I recieve my humidor, do I begin to "season" it with or without cigars in there?

2)  It has an exterior analog hygrometer.  I've noticed the digital is highly recommended, but do the analogs (esp. an exterior) work well enough to keep the collection in good shape?

3) I've noticed things being added such as beads to help with the humidity.  Are these items being added to help keep it at the desired range or are they extra percautions?  I'm just curious about how one adjusts the level if the percentage gets too high or too low.

Once again, great forums, great posters with helpful information.  I've enjoyed the whole experience so far and appreciate any posts related to this.

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    1: Season the humidor empty, only add cigars once it is fully seasoned. The seasoning process should take a day or two.

2: I haven't had good luck with the analog hygros and they are generally less than accurate. If you knew the deviation between where the humidity is and where the analog says it is, then you could trust it within reason as long as you noted the deviation. Still, digital is the way to go.

3: Most of these humidification devices are used to keep humidity within a desired range. The ideal would be to not have to adjust it up or down, and this is where beads come into play because they hold a pretty constant humidity. Should you decide to use beads, my advice would be to chuck the foam puck and just use beads.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    1: Season the humidor empty, only add cigars once it is fully seasoned. The seasoning process should take a day or two.

2: I haven't had good luck with the analog hygros and they are generally less than accurate. If you knew the deviation between where the humidity is and where the analog says it is, then you could trust it within reason as long as you noted the deviation. Still, digital is the way to go.

3: Most of these humidification devices are used to keep humidity within a desired range. The ideal would be to not have to adjust it up or down, and this is where beads come into play because they hold a pretty constant humidity. Should you decide to use beads, my advice would be to chuck the foam puck and just use beads.
    what he said
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    2: joz3r is right on with that. I have an analog hygrometer its close to accurate. i calibrated it. the problem with them isnt just that they arent very accurate, its that if they get bumped or dropped or moved in any way that they dont like the calibration goes out the window. i dont trust em.

3: the beads dont supplement my humidity system, they ARE my humidity system
  • Options
    You'd probably be better off just going ahead with a digital hygrometer. Wal*Mart sels a cheapo one in the thermometers aisle for about $7 that works great.

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/07/15/89/03/0007158903935_215X215.jpg
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    Dude Love:
    You'd probably be better off just going ahead with a digital hygrometer. Wal*Mart sels a cheapo one in the thermometers aisle for about $7 that works great.

really? genius...i must go to wal-mart
  • Options
    Bad Andy:
    Dude Love:

really? genius...i must go to wal-mart
    +1