Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Nest

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
Well for the gadget geeks out there, I should be getting my new nest thermostat on the 28th. I have been on a waiting list for this for months. Can't wait to install it and start saving some money. For anyone who doesn't know what it is, it's a learning thermostat made by former apple guys. Www.nest.com.

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Its fancy looking but how is it better than a programable thermostat?
  • Options

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Ya, I saw the video but still dont get it. If you are switching from a non-programable thermo then you will save a bunch but if you already have a pogramable thermo I dont see how its better and to me looks more complicated. The part that throws me is that it remembers what you put in so if you are chilled one day and crank it will it remember it? Let me know what you think of it once you install it.
  • Options
    djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
    Goldy:
    Ya, I saw the video but still dont get it. If you are switching from a non-programable thermo then you will save a bunch but if you already have a pogramable thermo I dont see how its better and to me looks more complicated. The part that throws me is that it remembers what you put in so if you are chilled one day and crank it will it remember it? Let me know what you think of it once you install it.

You can actually set up in two modes, 1 mode is range like any programmable thermo or 2nd mode, it can learn your heating and cooling habits and it will learn to shut off when you are away. Plus the really cool thing it integrates with iphone/ipad app or use their website to manage your device. Lets say you went on vacation and remember "crap, forgot to turn off the ac while we are away" well then you can turn your system off remotely. I believe it also can do reporting on how much energy you are saying.
  • Options
    Also, if your house is two levels (like mine) and you have a nest downstairs, they will talk to each other and basically coordinate and know what the other is doing.

"Long ashes my friends."