Home General Discussion
Options

Splitting an ash

What does a splitting ash mean? Too dry? The moist?Photobucket Pictures, Images and PhotosPhotobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Comments

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always just assumed it was caused by poor bunching of the leaves. But not sure.
  • Options
    kevin1323kevin1323 Posts: 294
    10 years of bad luck. Good luck with all that!
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    Rhamlin:
    I've always just assumed it was caused by poor bunching of the leaves. But not sure.
    Thats what I always figured too. Leaf bunching.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    In my experience, it means I'm smoking a Rocky Patel...
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    slickric:
    What does a splitting ash mean? Too dry? The moist?Photobucket Pictures, Images and PhotosPhotobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    I think it is an extension of that prominent vein that you can see running the length of that stick. Take a look just above the "split" and you can see it is right over that vein. I have seen this on lot's of sticks and there is usually a vein on the wrapper that causes it.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    In my experience, it means I'm smoking a Rocky Patel...
    Pretty funny there BigT.
  • Options
    As a roller, I notice this occurs regardless of freshness or bunching techniques used.  It does appear to happen more when a Viso leaf (which tends to be a thicker leaf with larger veins) is rolled with thinner more thin veined leaves and thin wrappers.  As the stick is burned by a consistent smoker (one who draws in close intervals with less resting time between draws) those thick veins have the ability to pull the lighter weight leaf ash towards the burn curl of the heavier veins as it burns.   When the Viso leaf is paired with other heavy weight leaves with equal vein strength, they are unable to pull away from one another and remain controlled during the burn.  I have rolled the same stick removing the Viso Veins experimentally and this effect doesn't occur.  It's not a flaw per-say... it's a consequence of a combination between leaf weight, thickness of vein ratios and burn distribution established by the draw speed of the smoker.  Long Leaf Life to all ~The ReMixologist
  • Options
    agonyfromgraceagonyfromgrace Posts: 1
    edited September 2017
    I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd answer this conundrum. It's actually caused by magnesium. Too much in the filler or binder leaf will cause a brittle flaky ash but is nothing to worry about, shouldn't affect taste. Later
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Interesting that the odd threads get dragged.

What it really means is............
    If you liked the cigar, who gives a crap.
    Smoke it, enjoy it and move on.

That is why the comment, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." has so much meaning.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have noobies.........
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, it's ASH, nevermind
    A little dirt never hurt