Home Cigar 101
Options

noob to the ranks

hello everyone, im new to cigar smoking but not new to smoking..i used smoke with hookahs but only for a few months and decided its ok but not for me..ive always have a interest in cigars and a hidden love for them..lol from how they look to the work that goes in them and there smells...what i do know is they have different strengths..mild,medium and full bodied? and im assuming the best way for me to go is to buy a few samplers from each catagory and try to find my prefered taste..so what im asking you guys is to maybe suggests some good samplers to start with? i want to make sure cigar smoking is something i can see myself enjoying before investing in a nice humidor and buying in larger quantities..thank you for any and all help and suggestiong you throw my way..

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Well, if you want to look into samplers of mild, medium and full bodied cigars, check out the following links.

Mild Medium Full

Now, that is if you want packaged samplers. You can also create your own sampler which is probably the best way to go. As for some recommendations for cigars in each taste category, I'll give a list of some that I like.

Mild: 5 Vegas Gold, Cusano 18 Double Connecticut, Gran Habano #1.
    Medium: 5 Vegas Classic, Oliva Serie G cameroon and Serie O habano
    Medium-full: Padron, Padilla Miami and Signature 1948, Perdomo ESV '91 Conn.
    Full: Padilla 1932, Oliva Serie V, Joya de Nicaragua Antaño, La Aurora 1495, Tatuaje Miami.

Well, that's some of them anyhow. There is a lot of good stuff out there, so if you want feedback on something specific, ask and there will be someone who's had it.
  • Options
    thanx for the info, i have another question..for example the 5 vegas gold brand http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=393

there are different sizes and each one has a different name..are all the cigars the same only difference is the length or is each cigar different in taste/flavor and thats why they all have different names? example double nickel is 5.5x55 and the churchill 7x50 between these two what if any difference is there besides the size?
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    There might be some flavor differences between different sizes. For the most part though, a brand like 5 Vegas will create a different blend of tobacco so that the sizes all taste pretty close to the same.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    denali7432:
    thanx for the info, i have another question..for example the 5 vegas gold brand http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=393

there are different sizes and each one has a different name..are all the cigars the same only difference is the length or is each cigar different in taste/flavor and thats why they all have different names? example double nickel is 5.5x55 and the churchill 7x50 between these two what if any difference is there besides the size?
    this is a common question, and the reason why i put the "blending 101" thread in my signature. im sure you will find that thread (and the other two) helpful, or at least interesting. this particular question is at the top of the second page on the "blending 101" thread.