Home Cigar 101
Options

macanudo-opinions needed

kodkod Posts: 41
So i have spent the last few months on the ccom forum and i have seen many posts calling macanudos bad. I have never tried a macanudo before, and i dont plan on it any time soon due to all the threads on ccom. And i am just a little curious, are macanudos a bad smoke or is it just a few people on ccom that hate them.

Comments

• Options
    Big DeanBig Dean Posts: 120
    I have only had one macanudo and it was the crystal(tubed one.) This was when I was very new to smoking cigars and I really enjoyed it. From what I've heard on this forum it seems like people are saying that a macanudo is ok for a beginer but lacks complexity for a seasoned veteran.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I would not call them a bad cigar. It is probably one of the best selling cigars in the united states, and I would bet that most people here have tried one. The original is very mild and pretty one dimensional with a taste that is always the same. While they do make a Maduro which offers a bigger taste, and a rather full robust label as well. There are a lot of other cigars that offer more flavor and strength that a long time smokers can appreciate. I still have Macanudos in my humidor, it's just that I don't go to them very often. They are a good cigar to introduce newer or first time smokers to which is why I will keep them, to share with friends who are not as serious about cigars as I am. I think in general they are a pretty decent cigar.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    they arent bad. but they are beginners cigars because they are so mild that just about everyone can handle them. they also have less taste. They are the bud light of cigars. nothing wrong with bud light, i just like a more complex brew better.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I'd say they are closer to the Natty light of cigars. Its pretty good when you don't know any better.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    I'd say they are closer to the Natty light of cigars. Its pretty good when you don't know any better.
    no, natty light was bad even when i didnt know better. dutch masters are the natty light.
  • Options
    LOL I meant the natty light of premium cigars. I guess that makes no sense, bud light is a better comparison.
  • Options
    Bsneed51Bsneed51 Posts: 22
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    no, natty light was bad even when i didnt know better. dutch masters are the natty light.
    I've probably drank more natty light in my life than any other beer. When you grow up in a small town out in the sticks most places carry the cheap beers, and then in college I drank it because I could afford it. Now, I would still almost take a natty over a bud light or miller lite.
  • Options
    I too drank natty and "beast" Ice when I was in college. IMHO your comparison of natty to bud or miller is like comparing dutch masters to garcia y vegas. You're talking about mass produced products, not fine works of art. THere is a place from natty, bud, miller, garcia's and dutch masters but its not a fine product to be appreciated as much as it is to just be consumed. Just my opinion. I too drink cheap beer from time to time but I've never sat on my back porch with a cigar and a natty and discussed how they compliment each other.
  • Options
    sorry to hear bout the beer you had back in school... i was drinkin killians, amber bock, john courage, and dortmunder gold.
  • Options
    Eh I tried to drink better beer but unfortunately none of my brothers ever wanted to go in on a keg of Killians lol.
  • Options
    it is costly, id just have any party be BYOB. ...id bring my killians.
  • Options
    Guinness Extra Stout and almost anything Sam Adams (except light) are the staples of my beer-drinking.

IMHO I'd never drink light beer. But then again, unlike a lot of college-age people, I don't drink beer to get drunk. Thus, I'd rather have the quality of un-nuetered beer.

P.S. What is with line breaks not showing up unless you put in the HTML for it?
  • Options
    gott.des.feuer:
    P.S. What is with line breaks not showing up unless you put in the HTML for it?
    I hate HTML. but its what we are delt with....
  • Options
    gott, Guiness Draught bottles, Guinness samplers(draught, Smithwicks and Harp) and Sam variety packs are usually all that lives in my fridge. Well besides the wife's Miller lite. I've tried with that girl but shes from WV you can only expect so much. LOL yea html is pretty freaking gay. I refuse to comply I will not put the code for a freaking break in.
  • Options
    Well those and Chimay! I try to keep a nice bottle of Chimay Blue around.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    gott, Guiness Draught bottles, Guinness samplers(draught, Smithwicks and Harp) and Sam variety packs are usually all that lives in my fridge. Well besides the wife's Miller lite. I've tried with that girl but shes from WV you can only expect so much. LOL yea html is pretty freaking gay. I refuse to comply I will not put the code for a freaking break in.
    You're a rebel there, maduro... big time...

Ironically, I hate Guinness Draught. I've tried it many a time, but for some reason it tastes like slightly beer-flavored water to me, so I've always been an Extra Stout man. Never tried the other two though. Also, Chimay? Never heard of it before.
  • Options
    gott.des.feuer:
    You're a rebel there, maduro... big time...

What can I say I'm hardcore.lol
    its funny how guiness works like that most people prefer one or the other. CHimay is a nice thick sweet ale thats made by trappist monks. Very good stuff, expensive but good. Now I love some microbrews too but its rare I find any worth a crap around here.
  • Options
    i am not a fan of guinsess either. ... this comming from a guy thats beer motto is "if you can see through it it isnt beer"

so far the best beer that i have ever had was (and i hope i spell this right... stupid french) maerdesaus (mar - du - so). it was rich and dark and coffee and hopsy and floral and amazing. ...its illegal to import it to ohio. that makes me sad.
  • Options
    Why's it illegal?
  • Options
    Wow I'm looking that up now hopefully not illegal in VA.
  • Options
    dep691dep691 Posts: 311
    lol, just have them mail it without the label.
  • Options
    gott.des.feuer:
    Why's it illegal?
    well... not really illegal, the taxes are so messed up on it that it wont be shippedinto ohio. Ohio's import laws are all kinds of messed up when it comes to spirits/beer/wine