Home General Discussion
Options

Building a Humidor?!?!?!?

I'm new to cigars and incredibly excited about it.  So in my enthusiasm I bought a humidor and its rediculously small (10 Cigars).  I find it very hard to keep the humidity and temperature inside consistent.  I'm going to build a medium to large humidor about 100 cigar capacity.  I use to be a cabinet maker so the task isn't really daunting but I would love any input on doing this and I would love to see examples of humidors you guys may have built.  Thanks for anything you can offer!

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    One recommendation: Build it for more than 100 cigars. If you think a 10 count is ridiculously small, give a 100 count about 2-3 months and see how much room you have left in it.

What was that rule about humidor sizing? "Take what you think you want, double it and add 50"? Ehh, something like that. :)

Good luck!

Joe
  • Options
    ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    Never built a humidor so can't help you with that, sorry. Joe is absolutely correct when it comes to the size. Besides, if your going to take the time to build a 100 count it won't take that much more to build a 250-300 count. Might as well get the sizing down, you might need more than one, down the road that is.
  • Options
    firemshllfiremshll Posts: 19
    I'm a newbie and I say build one as big as you can....HAHA. I bought a 150 count and that sucker is getting near full already (I've had it a month). Cigars are a fever and believe me, once you are hooked, you are hooked. You will end up going to a B&M and buying more than you anticipated. I'd recommend building a 300 count as well. I'd love to hear how you build it and see some finished photos! Good luck!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ive never built one. but, i have thought about it very much. again go as big as you can. i would also reccoment a 300 ct. and i have a few links that may help you:
    http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/veneer/cedar-spanish.html

http://www.cigargroup.com/faq/#4.3

http://www.titebond.com/IntroPageTB.ASP?UserType=1&ProdSel=ProductCategoryTB.asp?prodcat=1

the hardest part is getting the seal. your wood dorking experiance will come in handy...it still may be a difficult task.
  • Options
    mikalsanmikalsan Posts: 53
    I'll second or third that, on the size
    As long as you like smoking cigars you are going to do it again, and before long you will have the same compulsatory buying habits the rest of us have. 300-500 would be your best bet. I just had to buy another humi to accomidate the cigars I was purchasing. When that humidor arrives I will have the ability to store roughly 600 cigars,...... and sadly, it wont be enough.

Plus if you take the time to build the thing, you will only get even more hooked. I look forward to the day I may bravely take on the same task. Good Luck bro.
  • Options
    phishermanphisherman Posts: 79
    Just buy a cooler with a tight seal and you have your humidor. Easy and done. Then you can take your time building one from scratch. Just make sure you build it out of spanish cedar, not regular cedar.
  • Options
    davsowdavsow Posts: 2
    So 100 won't be big enough eh?  I suppose I'll redisign my plans for 300 or maybe even 500 cigars.  If I make it too large of a monstrosity my wife will be pissed.  I'll post back when I have something in the works.  Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    A couple more thoughts about size. One, you can't really store 300 cigars in a 300-ct. humidor. At most, you'll probably get about 200 in it. That's partly a function of the varying sizes and shapes of cigars, and partly because if you have your humidor packed to the gills, it can't breathe properly.

The other thing to remember is: the bigger you make it, the more you'll need to organize the space. Dividers, trays, drawers, etc., become more and more important as the number of cigars increases.