Options

Wait five years????

2»

Comments

• Options
    Bucking_WBucking_W Posts: 208 ✭✭
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    Bucking W:
    No way five years, sorry. I get one to two boxes a year and I let them sit for 6 months before I start firing them up. The only reason I let them rest for six months is because of the trip from London. Granted I don't smoke them everyday, so I do have some that have been sitting well over a year or two. If you are a huge consumer of these kind of smokes and buy numerous boxes at a time I can see someone keeping a box over five years because they are rotating them. I'm no rich man and I'm taking it you are not either to be buying numerous boxes at a time to age. Smoke em Brother!! The Bolivar and the Partagas Series, those are some really good sticks.
    Any cuban smoker will tell you to rest them for a 3year minimum if not 5 years so the blend can settle down, mend together, and age. There is nothing wrong with smoking them now, but if you want them at their peak, wait 5 years and smoke them. There are always opportunities to get aged boxes as well if you want to smoke them immediately.
    Just saying and I won't be as arrogant as saying "Any Cuban Smoker" but over the years I have learned from other Cuban smokers
    One year aging as a minimum. (One year from box date)
    Two years, they are going to be very good.
    Three years, they should be great at this point.
    If you plan to age cigars for over five years time, you had better really pick something quite strong and able to hold its flavor and body. Bu that's my two cents from a cuban cigar smoker.
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    In the current CC market there are quite a few that are smoking great in the same box year. PSP2, PSD4, H Upmann Mags, Dip #2. Will they benefit from some age? Yeah. Since 2007 or so CCs have gotten much better with less age. Previously I would say the 1,2,3,5 whatever year timeframe held up. It really is not a requirement anymore. More of a preference or option.

Just because a cigar is strong doesn't mean it will age better than a less strong cigar. Just depends on how the flavors in the cigar develop over time together. Even milder cigars might become more complex and open a whole different profile you may like more.

Aging a spicy or peppery cigar will usually blend the spice better into the cigar and allow the other flavors to come out better. Fresh spicy cigars tend to get dominated by the spice and in my opinion ruin the cigar. I am not much for pure spice cigars like an RP edge or MoW Ruination. Both good examples that age makes them much, much better.
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Bucking W:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    Bucking W:
    No way five years, sorry. I get one to two boxes a year and I let them sit for 6 months before I start firing them up. The only reason I let them rest for six months is because of the trip from London. Granted I don't smoke them everyday, so I do have some that have been sitting well over a year or two. If you are a huge consumer of these kind of smokes and buy numerous boxes at a time I can see someone keeping a box over five years because they are rotating them. I'm no rich man and I'm taking it you are not either to be buying numerous boxes at a time to age. Smoke em Brother!! The Bolivar and the Partagas Series, those are some really good sticks.
    Any cuban smoker will tell you to rest them for a 3year minimum if not 5 years so the blend can settle down, mend together, and age. There is nothing wrong with smoking them now, but if you want them at their peak, wait 5 years and smoke them. There are always opportunities to get aged boxes as well if you want to smoke them immediately.
    Just saying and I won't be as arrogant as saying "Any Cuban Smoker" but over the years I have learned from other Cuban smokers
    If you plan to age cigars for over five years time, you had better really pick something quite strong and able to hold its flavor and body. Bu that's my two cents from a cuban cigar smoker.
    You wont be as arrogant as "Any Cuban Smoker" but you will be as arrogant as "No way five years, sorry"? I stated nothing but facts and generalized with the cuban smokers and I would be astonished to find a different result: I don't know a cigar smoker who prefers a young cigar, cuban or not, and that is indisputable...just read on this forum. It doesn't need to be a "strong" cigar to be able to age well over 5 years...that is all a matter of perception and personal preferences. That's my 2cents, from a cuban cigar smoker
  • Options
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 818 ✭✭
    This thread was started more as a spoof and that there would be no way that I would hold out for five years before smoking...What is missed is that I believe I told Shaun that I could be dead in five years (in a pm)...That said, I am sure that Shaun wasn't trying to get me to keep them that long and made the statement in passing...As we all take our cigars seriously, it is possible that in some instances we take the experiences too serious...Okay now group hug..................
  • Options
    lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    spindrift:
    This thread was started more as a spoof and that there would be no way that I would hold out for five years before smoking...What is missed is that I believe I told Shaun that I could be dead in five years (in a pm)...That said, I am sure that Shaun wasn't trying to get me to keep them that long and made the statement in passing...As we all take our cigars seriously, it is possible that in some instances we take the experiences too serious...Okay now group hug..................
    LOL
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Marker:
    Just because a cigar is strong doesn't mean it will age better than a less strong cigar. Just depends on how the flavors in the cigar develop over time together. Even milder cigars might become more complex and open a whole different profile you may like more.

Brilliant point. there are many mild cigars that will age well. however, many mild cigars, if improperly blended, will have no complexity to begin with, and will lose flavor over time, making them unimaginably boring with tons of time on them. this is why so many people believe that mild cigars do not age well.

...that and so many people "only smoke strong cigars"
    and thats a damn shame.
    Marker:
    Aging a spicy or peppery cigar will usually blend the spice better into the cigar and allow the other flavors to come out better. Fresh spicy cigars tend to get dominated by the spice and in my opinion ruin the cigar. I am not much for pure spice cigars like an RP edge or MoW Ruination. Both good examples that age makes them much, much better.
    agreed there. i like stronger cigars. i am also not a huge fan of very spicy cigars. i have found that a bit of age usually helps this issue.
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    Bucking W:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    Bucking W:
    You wont be as arrogant as "Any Cuban Smoker" but you will be as arrogant as "No way five years, sorry"? I stated nothing but facts and generalized with the cuban smokers and I would be astonished to find a different result: I don't know a cigar smoker who prefers a young cigar, cuban or not, and that is indisputable...just read on this forum. It doesn't need to be a "strong" cigar to be able to age well over 5 years...that is all a matter of perception and personal preferences. That's my 2cents, from a cuban cigar smoker
    Now you get it! Good job Shaun you learn fast. ""matter of perception and personal preferences" Look above the post you see many different preferences. When you go out on a limb and say "everyone" you're not speaking foer everyone The guy has single sticks and he really wants to smoke them. Smoke em if you got em tomorrow you might not be able to enjoy them. I tell you what PM you address and I'll send you a nice stick or two.
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Bucking W:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    Bucking W:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    Bucking W:
    Now you get it! Good job Shaun you learn fast. ""matter of perception and personal preferences" Look above the post you see many different preferences. When you go out on a limb and say "everyone" you're not speaking foer everyone The guy has single sticks and he really wants to smoke them. Smoke em if you got em tomorrow you might not be able to enjoy them. I tell you what PM you address and I'll send you a nice stick or two.
    No thanks on the sticks, I have plenty of nice sticks and plenty of aged sticks to keep me busy for years. I do recognize personal preferences and was simply stating mine as well as a generality for the forum, "There is nothing wrong with smoking them now, but if you want them at their peak, wait 5 years and smoke them." Since I am "not speaking foer everyone", go ahead and survey the forum, since you seem so eager to prove me wrong, and see who would prefer a cigar fresh OTT versus one with one years of rest, and then 2 years, and 3 years, and so forth...I would LOVE to see the results you could bring me. Maybe I need to send you a real aged cigar so you can see what you are missing. And if you were to read Paul's post, which you clearly haven't, he says it was a joke we made in a PM...about him living for 5 more years...but you read that conversation right and you know how it went...some of it was over the phone, so I hope you caught it all. I was serious to him about aging them in a different context and gave him a timeline of 5 years but fully understand the fact that he doesn't have a lot of cuban experience and I want him to be able to see their flavor profile and be able to review as many types as possible. That is why I also said I would then proceed to send him aged ones if he prefers the flavors he is getting and wants to go further into the specific smokes I gave him or smoke others.
  • Options
    Ok, sorry to hurt your feelings, Like the old saying goes, opinions are like azzholes, everyone has one.
  • Options
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 818 ✭✭
    I guess this means no group hug????????????????
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I would be more inclined to go with Shauns advice. I realize that you may only have a couple or few Cubans. The reason Shauns advice is good is that if you smoke a fresh Cuban you will not enjoy what people are talking about when they rave about Cubans. I just recently came back from Cuba and have stated here on the forums that when I return I will be bringing my favorite Nicaraguan sticks with me to smoke while there.

Now if you take a Cuban and put it away for the proper time (each year it get's better) then there is little outside of a $40 stick that will bring you that much enjoyment.

It isn't that you can't smoke them fresh, but why would you? If you were to smoke them fresh then you would still not have an idea of what people are talking about when they rave about Cuban cigars. It is not that either of you was wrong, but Shaun was trying to point out that in order to form the proper opinion about Cuban cigars you would be better served by aging them for 3 to 5 years. There are plenty of people who have smoked Cubans with 10 plus on them and LOVED them. Eventually they would lose their flavor and turn to dust, but if properly stored... they could outlive you.