Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

A couple of RP's

I mentioned in another thread that I had, among many, RP VIntage 1999/Connecticut.

I smoked it this weekend and had high hopes for just what Rocky says, a mind cigar with lots of flavor; a hard thing to do.  I was very disappointed.  I like a mild but flavorful cigar and this was more, not so much flavor and even kind of bitter.  The bitter aftertaste was a surprise for a mild smoke.  The wrapper also had started to let loose but not so much is caused any smoking problems.  It's been sitting in the same place others such as '90 and '92's are and they're fine.  It was obviously a little to wet as it started to burst in 1 spot about half way through.  But again, I just did not enjoy it at all and will stick with it's older siblings.

I'd hoped it to be much like a NUB Connecticut but it didn't come close.  The NUB is fantastic.  I just finished one with my Latte' out back.

Another new one I smoked this weekend was an Edge, maduro wrapper.  For a stronger cigar I didn't expect to care for, it was surprisingly smooth. Stored again, right next to the 1999, it had not problems at all.  Smooth yet stronger although not a flavor that I was all that crazy about, it ws a great smoke.  I admit, by last 1/4" of the Toro, it did start to get to me and I had to lay it down.  Big Smile [:D]  Smooth and flavorful yes, but a little strong for me right at the end but was great up until then.

I still have many others to try for the first time but so far, the '90 and '92 as well as the Edge Lite are my favorites.  The Sun Grown is pretty good, but not something that can replace any of those 3.  I have several that may be the ones that rest for a while.

There you have it, an ametuer review from a mild smoke kind of guy.  So far the Autumn and the 1999 Vintage = yuk.

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i agree with the nub conn.... good smoke there. If you find yourself disappointed with RP then give a look at gurkha and camacho. RP has a taste for nicaraguan tobacco. and thats good if you like nicaraguan tobacco. but if you dont, you wont like his blends. Gurkha and Camacho both blend for those who like honduran tobacco. give em a shot. its a cigar from a different point of view.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I hate to hear that about the 1999. I've had one and it was a pretty flavorful smoke but very mild. The Edge Maduro is a great smoke though. I've had this one many times and I can always count on it when I want a good full bodied Maduro. I would suggest trying the Vintage 92 and the Decade for some really good stuff from RP. But Kuzi has a good point as well with the Gurkha and Camacho. I would also suggest trying the Sol Cubano line. Made by Oliva, just like the Nub, and they have some great stuff. I've only had the Cuban Cabinet, but I've heard their other stuff is great too. The Cuban Cab has quickly become one of my favorite smokes.
  • Options
    JKTexJKTex Posts: 92
    I love the Edge Lite as well as the '90 and '92.  I've got all 3 and also other's I haven't yet tried, but I think an Old World Reserve is in my weekend plans.  If not, I still have Decade, Renaissance and a couple others I think.

The 1999 was just a surprising disappointment.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    i agree with the nub conn.... good smoke there. If you find yourself disappointed with RP then give a look at gurkha and camacho. RP has a taste for nicaraguan tobacco. and thats good if you like nicaraguan tobacco. but if you dont, you wont like his blends. Gurkha and Camacho both blend for those who like honduran tobacco. give em a shot. its a cigar from a different point of view.
    I was surprised in the nub conn, very good smoke. I actually am buying a box. great for a commute smoke. about 30 or 40 minutes.

Hey Tex, out of curiosity which one did you like better, the RP 90 or 92? Seems a lot of peeps like the 92 more, though I tend to like the 90. We need more 90 lovers =)
  • Options
    cheymancheyman Posts: 157
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    I was surprised in the nub conn, very good smoke. I actually am buying a box. great for a commute smoke. about 30 or 40 minutes.

Hey Tex, out of curiosity which one did you like better, the RP 90 or 92? Seems a lot of peeps like the 92 more, though I tend to like the 90. We need more 90 lovers =)
    I'm with ya...I like the '90 better too!
  • Options
    JKTexJKTex Posts: 92
    phobicsquirrel:

I like the '92 very much, but I favor the '90!!  It's just so smooth yet has a great flavor I like as well as an interesting earthy/woodsy/floral aroma while burning.

But tonight I'll be burning a Toro in either a '92 or an Old World Reserve.  It's rare that I get a chance to big a big one! 
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I haven't had a 90 in forever. Need to try another one.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    well I'm glad there's the love for the 90. for those of you that have 90's the 6x60 isn't box pressed right? I've only had 6x60's from my local shop and from the pics of the 90's they looked box pressed as well, though I haven't seen a 6x60 in them. (silly question I know).
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I got a RP Decade tonight at local b&m...think this will be the first casualty of the night...think their ok right from the b&m?
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I would think so. Let us know what you think of it.
  • Options
    kaelariakaelaria Posts: 572
    Give the 1990 another shot - you may have just had one in bad shape. It's currently my go-to stick! I have never had one burn less than perfect, be any bit of bitter, or have wrapper problems. I'm not a huge fan of pepper or spice, so although I like the 1992 and Decade as well, I prefer the 1990 overall.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    kaelaria:
    Give the 1990 another shot - you may have just had one in bad shape. It's currently my go-to stick! I have never had one burn less than perfect, be any bit of bitter, or have wrapper problems. I'm not a huge fan of pepper or spice, so although I like the 1992 and Decade as well, I prefer the 1990 overall.
    The 90 and 92's are great smokes! I recently bought a bundle of 92 seconds, those are great smokes at a great price at cc.com.

"Long ashes my friends."