Home Cigar 101

few questions about humidors

I'm new to the cigar world, loving it so far.  A friend gave me a humidor as a best man present to jump start me.  He is more knowledgeable than I, but doesn't have an answer for every question I have.  He's referred me to Cigar.com a few times for the videos and deals and such, so I figured I'd turn to you knowledgeable gents (and ladies?).

1.  Should I take the plastic wrapper off the cigars when I place them in the humidor?
2.  How do I know if my hydrometer is accurate?
3.  I'm going to be moving in a few weeks, and moving the cigars in the humidor isn't a very realistic option because the black disc humidifier that came with the humidor just doesn't cut it so I use a soup bowl full of water.  What is the best way to transport cigars?
    3a.  I didn't know what I was doing when I set this thing up, just threw in the disc with water and the cigars, later finding out the disc wasn't doing the job.  Had I wiped the walls down first, would the black disc be sufficient?

That's all for now.  Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• 1. Personal preference. With the wrappers on, your sticks are better protected if any of them get beetles, and the wrappers are less likely to get cracked or torn. I take all mine off, but that's just me.

2. If you have an analog hygrometer, get a magic 8 ball. Wal*Mart sells digital hygrometers for about $7 that work great.

3. It depends on how far you're moving. If you just put them in a Zip Lock bag, they'll be good for a few days.

3a. Possibly. The stock foam humidifiers ain't always that great. The way I seasoned my humidor was just by using a small dish filled with distilled water until the humidity stabilized, then I put my sticks in. I didn't get a very good result with just wiping down the walls.

I'm still a newbie when it comes to all things cigars, but I'm sure some of the more knowledgable members here can help you even further.
  • rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    betteroffdrew:
    but doesn't have an answer for every question I have. 
    The good news is, we'll have an answer for every question... Bad news is, it's probably wrong.. ;)
    betteroffdrew:
    1.  Should I take the plastic wrapper off the cigars when I place them in the humidor?
    Personal preference... In my glass top display humi's I tend to keep the higher price / ISOM stuff on top and don't keep the cello on these as it's just not as pretty to look at...

On the other hand, in my foot locker humi where lots of cigars get piled in layers, etc... Since I handle them frequently to shuffle them around, pick one out, etc.. I tend to keep the cello on... This helps protect them from my handling and any shifting around they might do...

As far as function, it won't matter either way, the humidity will get through the cello just as easily as without, so no harm either way.
    betteroffdrew:
    $2.  How do I know if my hydrometer is accurate?
    If it's analog, it's not... They all pretty much suck... If you don't have a digital hygrometer, get one... Either way, it STILL needs to be calibrated (with the exception of a few digitals that can't be calibrated). Do a search on "Salt Test" and you'll find all the info you need... To summarize, place the hygrometer in a ziplock with a cap full of damp salt... The air in the baggie will stabilize at 75% in about 24 hours... Then you can see how far off your hygrometer is, and calibrate it as neccesary.
    betteroffdrew:
    3.  I'm going to be moving in a few weeks, and moving the cigars in the humidor isn't a very realistic option because the black disc humidifier that came with the humidor just doesn't cut it so I use a soup bowl full of water.  What is the best way to transport cigars?

First, do yourself a favor... GET RID OF THAT BOWL... Not only is it an accident waiting to happen, but it's also NOT going to keep a 70% (or even close) humidity... It's going to be WAY too high... Rather you use crystals, beads, or foam pads, you REALLY need something that will maintain humidity... With crystals and pads that comes in the form of PG solution... PG solution is meant to regulate the humidity to 70%... versus just plain water which will get way higher... Beads will regulate on their own... My own preference is crystal gel with PG solution...
    betteroffdrew:
    3a.  I didn't know what I was doing when I set this thing up, just threw in the disc with water and the cigars, later finding out the disc wasn't doing the job.  Had I wiped the walls down first, would the black disc be sufficient?

The disks (which have green oasis foam pads inside) work fine if you get the right mix of PG solution to charge it with and then use distilled water afterwards except an occasional (maybe once a year or so) recharge with PG... However in my opinion their are certainly better alternatives...

The bottom line is, most likely that humi is NOT seasoned... This will cause you more headaches down the road than you can imagine... Your best bet is to get a tupporware container to place all your cigars in with a disc or some other humidification device... Then go about seasoning the humi the proper way... Once it's done, then you can move your humidification / cigars back over and everything should be much happier...