Home Cigar 101

Bead Holder setups & pics

blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
So after reading Doromath's post on charging/recharging beads, & how we all have different ideas & ways of working with our beads I figured we could discuss all of the creative holders/containers you use for your beads in your humidors. I was having trouble recently in my glasstop maintaining 68rh so I switched up to a new container to get more surface area exposed on my beads & it works great. Pics are always welcome, we can all get some good ideas on effective containers by sharing ideas.

I was previously using just a plastic gerber baby food container. To increase surface area I located 5 old cigar coffins that I lined with the bottom of a cut ziploc bag, hot glued it in place, & filled with beads. Its working extremely well, & for the standard cigar trays it works great. It can even double as a simple divider. I would also recommend seasoning the coffin for a few days so its not bone dry prior to assembling it.
Bead Holders

Feel free to show your setup, we can all probably learn some cool new creative ideas from each other.

Comments

• dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    I have a cabinet humi but some recent box purchases have been filling her up. So I am going to put my small nightstand sized humi back into action. Before I had used an electronic humi but this time I think I will use beads. So this will be a good thread for me...and timely.
  • KevinFittsKevinFitts Posts: 225
    If I want to start using beads, what should I look for and will they work good in a cooler as well?
  • AJGARLETTAJGARLETT Posts: 648
    KevinFitts:
    If I want to start using beads, what should I look for and will they work good in a cooler as well?

Look for HeartFelt or ConservaGel beads. As far as effectiveness in coolers, they are the best thing you can use. The seal on a (decent/good) cooler is much tighter overall than a wood humi. Humidity can soar sky-high because there is very little air exchange whereas a wooden humi has tiny gaps that less/more humid air can come in and out of. Beads are able to absorb excess humidity when its present in the air, which makes them perfect for coolers because coolers hold humidity in much better than wooden humidors. My cooler has been at 67% for a few months now and I havn't touched the beads once.
  • KevinFittsKevinFitts Posts: 225
    do they sell these on CCOM? I also need some suggestions on a goo Hygrometer. Any recommendations?
  • AJGARLETTAJGARLETT Posts: 648
    KevinFitts:
    do they sell these on CCOM? I also need some suggestions on a goo Hygrometer. Any recommendations?

PM sent
  • ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    Mine isn't as "sexy" as yours. I went to Wally World and bought some panty hose and each on has a 1/4 pound each. Cheaper than getting the bag they sell on the site
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Yep. I use pantyhose tied off and cut into a few little bead sacks. Five of them in my 100qt cooler, with roughly a pound and a half of beads divided between them. I also have a similarly designed, and carefully assembled (read: sloppy and ugly) pantyhose baggy in my 75 ct desktop. I use an actual Hearfelt tube plus a Boveda in my aging humidor (a little 25ct.) for the really special stuff.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i used old coffin boxes for years.
    almost the exact same set up but i used plastic wrap and no glue.
  • pbchevopbchevo Posts: 712
    i just took out the green crap that humidifier had and put the beads..i just need a better double sided tape lol.....i do like the coffin idea though i might do that on my small humidor
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    That works well pbchevo. I did the same with my Diablo humi, it has 2 of those. You have to be real careful to not break them. My only issue is it has to lay flat because my conservagels broke apart to the point i would drop dust if i put it on the lid. As my diablo fills up I'm leaning towards 4 or so strategically placed coffins to get more space. Those work just as great though and its a great neat way to reuse the otherwise useless green foam humidifier. Sorry for the typing, this kindle fire is great to surf but not so great to type.
  • pbchevopbchevo Posts: 712
    blurr:
    That works well pbchevo. I did the same with my Diablo humi, it has 2 of those. You have to be real careful to not break them. My only issue is it has to lay flat because my conservagels broke apart to the point i would drop dust if i put it on the lid. As my diablo fills up I'm leaning towards 4 or so strategically placed coffins to get more space. Those work just as great though and its a great neat way to reuse the otherwise useless green foam humidifier. Sorry for the typing, this kindle fire is great to surf but not so great to type.
    yea i just started to put them flat last week is when i notice lil bits of the gel on the tray
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Bump in case anyone has some new litter pearl or bead containers they want to post images of. I love seeing new setups and ideas.
  • Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    O.K. so I cracked open my heartfelt beads case. I want to use my silica beads in that case, which was held together by tiny plastic screws. Here's the problem: I destroyed the plastic screws and even the holes in the process.

So... I can fill it with the litter beads and superglue it back together in a fit that covers the screw holes. Is superglue safe to use in the humi once it's dried? Keep in mind I'm gluing plastic to plastic here. I'm just gluing the case back together. The velcro is still the method to which it will attach to my humi lid.

I like that case because it fits the indent for the old humidifier on that humi PERFECTLY. So I'd like to save it. If the superglue is a bad idea can anyone think of a better alternative?

Its such a small humidor that I feel like the humidifier basically HAS to go on the lid. In my coolidor, I have four little sacks of beads in each corner on the ground separated by cigar box inserts to keep them from touching the sticks. I don't see how I can do this with my desktop.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a coffin in my small humidor as well, although I wish I had something they wouldnt fall out of. I also have a heartfelt disk that works well.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • JZerbyJZerby Posts: 122
    image I use, interestingly enough, those little beads you use for flowers. I filled half with distilled water and half with solution. I then put them in one of those shakers pizza places have for Parmesan cheese, which I picked up at the dollar store for $1. With how full I have it, and one corner of the cooler not all the way pushed down, I am holding between 65 and 67 rh, which is my preferred smoking range.
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    Big T smokes:
    O.K. so I cracked open my heartfelt beads case. I want to use my silica beads in that case, which was held together by tiny plastic screws. Here's the problem: I destroyed the plastic screws and even the holes in the process.

So... I can fill it with the litter beads and superglue it back together in a fit that covers the screw holes. Is superglue safe to use in the humi once it's dried? Keep in mind I'm gluing plastic to plastic here. I'm just gluing the case back together. The velcro is still the method to which it will attach to my humi lid.

I like that case because it fits the indent for the old humidifier on that humi PERFECTLY. So I'd like to save it. If the superglue is a bad idea can anyone think of a better alternative?

Its such a small humidor that I feel like the humidifier basically HAS to go on the lid. In my coolidor, I have four little sacks of beads in each corner on the ground separated by cigar box inserts to keep them from touching the sticks. I don't see how I can do this with my desktop.

Big T you can "weld" plastic with a soldering iron and wee bit of a milk jug... if you practice on something other than your case you can do it easily enough. Don't want to damage your new beads.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    macs-smokes:
    Big T smokes:

Big T you can "weld" plastic with a soldering iron and wee bit of a milk jug... if you practice on something other than your case you can do it easily enough. Don't want to damage your new beads.
    Don't know what you did Big T but I have used krazy glue on items stored in humidor with no ill effects. When dry there is no smell. At least none I could detect.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I just went to the grocery store and bought some kiddie sandwich holders; it's about 2"x3"x2" - very small, and it fits on the shelves of my humi without taking up much space
  • jfacianejfaciane Posts: 242
    Very good post OP. After reading this thread I went on ahead and purchased 1/2 pound of 65% beads from heartfelt industries and a small nylon and one large nylon bag. I'm gonna put the large one in my 300ct humi and the small pouch in my 50 ct humi for my infused cigars.
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use small Tupperware bowls with lids and punch holes in them with kitty litter, works great.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I admit, I'm being lazy.I think I read in the beads site that they should only be so deep to be effective, that they need to be a little spread out. How deep do you guys have yours?
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    3/4 to an inch but 6x6 container for the major one. thinking about switching to lady socks. more surface area?
    ddubridge:
    3/4 to an inch but 6x6 container for the major one. thinking about switching to lady socks. more surface area?
    I just moved mine from the "hose" it came with to a tupperware container. I poked some holes in the lid..we'll see.
    Rain:
    ddubridge:
    I just moved mine from the "hose" it came with to a tupperware container. I poked some holes in the lid..we'll see.
    Let me know. What's the deal with the holes. Why not leave the lid off?
    ddubridge:
    Rain:
    ddubridge:
    The container is sort of big, so I can lay cigars on it now as long as I leave some of the holes open. I think, anyways..
    Rain:
    ddubridge:
    Rain:
    ddubridge:
    The container is sort of big, so I can lay cigars on it now as long as I leave some of the holes open. I think, anyways..
    Not sure why this didn't cross my mind. I'm sure it would have if I didnt have any extra room."Now where did I put that lid..."