Home Cigar 101
Options

Cabinet Humidor RH

Well this will go down as a stupid post I'm sure!!!

I purchased a beautiful cabinet Humidor a little over a month ago and have since purchased two new digital hygrometers to determine if there was any variation in RH in different areas of the Cabinet. I also placed two analog hygrometers from my desktop in alternate locations as well. Basically what I am finding is that they are all a little different but not by much. What is an acceptable variation in RH? The humidistat has been engaging around 68% and dissengaging at approx 74%. I have noticed that my smokes are very moist, at least much more than my old desktop. AHHHH the joys of maintaining cigars!!!!!! I am not sure which Hygrometer is accurate if any of them are at all. Any reccommendations, I was thinking of calibrating my analog units with the good old salt test and then placing them adjacent to the digital units and testing the variation, although I am lazy! Any other simple method anyone can suggest. Should I even worry about this variation to begin with, is it normal?

Thanks for listening, I need a smoke! 

Comments

• Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Nice user name... been around long? :)

Retire the analogs to paper weight status. 68-74% is a bit high. That's probably why your cigars are too moist. Shoot for something in the 65-70% range. Most people here prefer smoking their cigars in the 65-67% range.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    It seems to me your humidifier is creating too big a range of RH. I don't know what you have it set to, but even assuming it's dead center of that range -- 71% -- it shouldn't let things drop to 68% before it kicks in, and it shouldn't run up to 74% before it kicks off. A 6 point swing just doesn't sound right.