Home General Discussion

So, I tried to find a cigar shop....

I was making visits out of town today. The town I went to is larger than the one I live in, so I googled cigar shops and went to 2. Pitiful. Really pitiful. They were just cigarette shops that had only a few imported cigars and even those few included nothing I was looking for. Now there's another city that is much bigger an hour away from me that has 2 or 3 REAL cigar shops, tobacconists they call them. I've seen their websites and they look first rate. But who knows when I'll ever get there. Anyway, this area is in great need of a real cigar shop. Just really wanted to look in person at lots of cigars to help me decide what to get.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Where do you live? Here in Southern California, real cigar shops are few and far between compared to other, more tobacco friendly states.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know the feeling. The closest B&M to where I live is about 40 miles away. They have a lovely, huge walk-in humi with tons of cigars but I don't get down that way very often. I tried to interest the owner in opening a branch in my city but he doesn't have the capital to stock another humi like the one he's got. Oh, well......
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Salem:
    I was making visits out of town today. The town I went to is larger than the one I live in, so I googled cigar shops and went to 2. Pitiful. Really pitiful. They were just cigarette shops that had only a few imported cigars and even those few included nothing I was looking for. Now there's another city that is much bigger an hour away from me that has 2 or 3 REAL cigar shops, tobacconists they call them. I've seen their websites and they look first rate. But who knows when I'll ever get there. Anyway, this area is in great need of a real cigar shop. Just really wanted to look in person at lots of cigars to help me decide what to get.
    Real cigar shops??.....I wish! Nothing here.....one pitiful little place, nice enough lady, but the walk-in humi is shaky, prices are too high.
    The other place more of a cigarette/head shop than a cigar store, although they do have a decent selection of sticks, prices are wack.

• lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Notice the Cali response team? LOL
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Yeah they are sort of weak around me too. there's a couple of them but one real one and they sort of piss me off. every other pipe and tobacco store around me sells a crap load of bongs and glass bongs. ... well actually it's all glass bongs.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah good cigar shops can sometimes be hard to find. Especially in a state with real high tobacco taxes. Luckily for me we got 2 in my town that are 2 blocks from each other. Then a couple real nice ones about 40 mins away.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am lucky to live in a metro that is home to XIKAR and some amazing cigar shops. There is a good one 5 minutes from my house. The others are all 40 minutes from me but have amazing selections. I am so busy I hardly have time to ever visit even the one by my house.

Closer to where I live I have noticed the trend of these smoke shops opening up that specialize in marijuana accessories, cigarettes, and a crappy selection of General Cigar stuff. 2 of those places have roll your own cigarettes. To me these places are just crap holes and a scourge on the cigar industry that lumps us in with cigarettes and smoking other stuff.
  • blindyblindy Posts: 23
    phobic if your referring the the large B&M off 82nd I'm with ya on them being dicks. Whenever i ask for recommendations they act like i'm interrupting them in some way.
  • SalemSalem Posts: 717
    Now this is one of the nice ones in the town an hour from me. Notice that there is NO doubt what they sell there. Looks really nice. http://www.brookelynncigars.com/
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Salem:
    Now this is one of the nice ones in the town an hour from me. Notice that there is NO doubt what they sell there. Looks really nice. http://www.brookelynncigars.com/
    Wow, looks nice, worth an hour drive every month or so IMO.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Here in northern VA there are a few around and they have decent selections. Pricing can be another matter entirely though. In terms of rapport, also can be something entirely different. My favorite in the area is Leesburg Cigar and Pipe....good selection and good vibe. On a recent visit to Knoxville TN though I thoroughly enjoyed a visit to the cigar shop in the Old City. I will go back there for sure during my next visit.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    I guess I'm very fortunate. There are 5 premium cigar retailers in Lexington, KY, (I live within 13 miles of Lexington, and I work there) all with walk-in humidors, and all with excellent selections. There's also a cigar bar/lounge within a 25 min drive of my house.
  • ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    That's really ashame that you don't have a place in your city. Here in memphis and the surrounding areas we have 3 stores and 1 of them has a HUGE walk in humidor but that's a 30 minute drive for me.
  • MessickMessick Posts: 86
    I visit a great one in Dayton Ohio. My in laws live only 10 minutes away, so I do not mind making the 50 minute drive to visit. My wife wonders why I am always up for a visit.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I don't know where you are in NC, but Empire Cigars in Raleigh is AMAZING. They will really take care of you. Great staff, and a great shop. Also, Tinder Box in Charlotte is great.
  • We are blessed to have almost a half dozen good ones as well as numerous lounges, cigar bars and hotel bars. There is also a Davidoff ship that runs up and down the lake for a few hours and offers light food as well as Davidoff cigars including a few exclusive ones. I have not been but I have heard that the clientell fits the brand line. Not sure if I will ever go or not. Maybe out of curiosity.

You are allowed to bring your own cigars with you.

Prices are high at every shop and bar but that is mostly due to taxes and the general high standard of living. Everything is expensive here.